Open Forum

View Only

Pick My Musical!

• 1.  Pick My Musical!

Posted 08-15-2018 20:16
    Hey Everyone! 

I'm scrambling to pick a different musical.  I figured I would throw it out to all of you experts since you always offer amazing advice.

I know there's a lot of similar threads but I'm open enough to good ideas that I don't want to leave any stone unturned.

My Criteria:

- Really appeal to kids, families... basically everyone... but should be playful, silly, fun for sure.  Fun and accessible are keys.
    - Should be a draw... need to fill the seats this year.
    - Fun and catchy music.
    - Doesn't require big talent, show-carrying singers.  My department will be young this year and I know I don't have any super strong soloists.  I should have plenty of character singer/actors though; just no classically beautiful voices.  I feel this knocks out a lot of Disney like Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid.
    - Adding to the last one, it's should probably be more of an ensemble-style show (but I'm open minded). 
    - Cast size... I would need the show to be able to sustain 25 on the low end... I could maybe get up to 40 on the high end. 
    - Probably can't do Jr. or TYA versions because we utilize a student-pit band, so wouldn't want to take that away from them.
    - Lastly, it should just be a legitimately good, quality musical (story, music, costumes, etc).  I don't typically do this style of show (did Urinetown last year) but think it's important to do them occasionally for sure.  So I don't want to do a fluff piece that I can't get into.  

Other random bits:
    - I have considered Honk! but on first listen, it felt flat musically... not a lot of fun and catchy.  BUT, I was flying through so it just might have missed me that day.

- Adam's Family has been rolling around my head, but I don't know how much younger kids connect to it or if it would be a big family draw.  I can certainly be convinced on this though. 

- Little Shop was suggested by another teacher, but I worry I don't have the male horses to pull it off/smaller cast/not really a kid and family draw probably (but again, I can be convinced).

- The show can't be Cinderella, Charlie Brown, Once Upon a Mattress, Spelling Bee, Oklahoma, Seussical, Annie, Wizard of Oz, Shrek!, Willy Wonka, or probably Beauty and the Beast (shows that have been done recently at the high school or the local children's theatre).

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP, GUIDANCE, OR SUGGESTIONS!!!

------------------------------
    Brett

• 2.  RE: Pick My Musical!

Posted 08-16-2018 07:27
    Hello,
         Not sure if these two suggestions help: You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown with added ensemble and Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella.
          Best wishes on your selection,

Nancy Vitulli
    Theater Teacher/Drama Director
    Cranston HS West
    Cranston, RI

• 3.  RE: Pick My Musical!

Posted 08-16-2018 07:39
    Footloose?
    All Shook Up?
    Oliver?

Kind Regards,

Jared Wright
    Thomaston GA

• 4.  RE: Pick My Musical!

Posted 08-16-2018 09:45
    ​Good morning,

All Shook Up is a great show. I also like Addams Family. The local middle school did three shows last year and sold them out. Very fun and affordable. Also room for a big cast with the ancestors.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 5.  RE: Pick My Musical!

Posted 08-16-2018 10:58
    I am such a huge, huge fan of The Drowsy Chaperone and it definitely fits the sillyness and expandable cast (use lots of maids and butlers) and its just sweet and people love it even if they are not familiar with it before hand.

Jessica Speck
    Drama Director
    Theatre and English Teacher
    Thomas S. Wootton HS
    Rockville, MD

• 6.  RE: Pick My Musical!

Posted 08-16-2018 11:43
    Keep considering The Addam's Family!!  It is a huge draw for the community.  I sold out my house multiple nights - for the first time in my program and people are still talking about it.  It is silly, fun, and has great moments of depth.

Good luck in your decision making!

Kristina Cummins
    Olympia WA

• 7.  RE: Pick My Musical!

Posted 08-16-2018 13:22
    Maybe Once Upon a Mattress? Harry and Larkin need to sing well but even they might be able to be performed with more character-type voices. I once saw a very fun, slapstick production of it that worked well. Can be done with 40 or so.
    Best wishes!

• 8.  RE: Pick My Musical!

Posted 08-16-2018 14:47
    Addams Family was a huge draw for my high school. Most we've made in recent years.

This past year, we presented Emma! A Pop Musical--it is an update of the Jane Austen novel, with pop music made popular by women. So, basically, Clueless with pop songs. My students and audiences LOVED it. The younger children who came to see it recognized the songs, and were singing along. Many of my parents said this was the best show we did. You can cast as many as you want, and the vocals are not difficult (nor is the music, if you have student musicians). This was my first time presenting a "jukebox" musical, and I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it as a director.

Addams was definitely more of a challenge--musically and technically.

Amber Perkins

• 9.  RE: Pick My Musical!

Posted 08-16-2018 15:07
    Honk!
    Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Linda Brown
    Theatrical Director/Instructor
    Mount St. Mary Catholic High School
    Oklahoma City OK

• 10.  RE: Pick My Musical!

Posted 08-16-2018 16:25
    How about ...

Bye, bye Birdie (update with cell phones)
    Annie Get Your Gun

Denise Royal
    HS Theater Director
    Goodyear AZ

• 11.  RE: Pick My Musical!

Posted 08-17-2018 02:04
    Have you considered Pippin? The revival used a circus theme, and you can incorporate a large chorus to do tricks, use hula hoops, etc. The songs are strong and in a variety of styles.
           When I directed it, I split the Leading Player role into two, one who was leading Pippin's good nature to positive things  and one who was tempting Pippin's opposing nature to negative things. It lessened the demands on the voices of the actors, and helped to define his journey.

Marlene Goebig
    Theater Teacher
    The School District of Philadelphia
    The Philadelphia High School for Creative & Performing Arts
    Philadelphia PA

• 12.  RE: Pick My Musical!

Posted 08-17-2018 17:42
    Suessical. The book is not the strongest aspect, but you can't beat the musicality of the tunes. Cast can be very large. Enjoyable for all ages. 

If you're feeling more ambitious, I also second Pippin and Once Upon a Mattress, although both of these do require some legit voices.

Robin Share
    (Retired) Teacher
    Los Angeles Unified School District
    Sherman Oaks CA

• 13.  RE: Pick My Musical!

Posted 08-18-2018 06:34
    You mentioned HONK! but was iffy about it. Just an FYI that our kids and audience loved the show! Great show for kids and families plus can be as large as you want. The mom should have a decent voice but others don't have to be amazing - and as animals they can play it up. Our cat and frog had such great chemistry together! I have pics if you'd like to see some. 
    Also, what about Alice In Wonderland? I don't think there's any amazing voices required although always welcomed!
    Good luck in choosing your show!

Connie Sandoz
    Waxahachie, TX
    Retired Theatre Director
    Henderson, NV

• 14.  RE: Pick My Musical!

Posted 08-18-2018 10:29
    I would like to concur with Connie that "Honk!" is a great show. It has fun, silly moments, and great dramatic ones. (Unlike "Alice" which is all fluff). There are such great parts and a large chorus. The message is so pertinent, especially for today's society. The music is wonderful. Directed it years ago for a youth theatre program and it is still one of my favorites. The mom and Ugly do have to sing well, and their duet (while they are separated and trying to find each other) is a beautiful song, and very poignant. The rest of the cast can use "character" voices. Maybe take a second look at this one.

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 15.  RE: Pick My Musical!

Posted 08-18-2018 09:13
    Have you looked at James And The Giant Peach? It's actually pretty good. If you think you will have a leading man/woman combo, and can play down the romance/sexiness, maybe something more old school like Pajama Game, Guys and Dolls (Jr). I also think Addams Family is a great pic even for a younger group. Peter Pan or Peter and The Starcatcher--which is really a play with music, Shrek, Schoolhouse Rock Jr., Anything Goes...

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 16.  RE: Pick My Musical!

Posted 08-18-2018 11:05
    THANK YOU for all of the amazing thoughts and insights everybody!! It's definitely helping to guide my decision.  I'll be locking it in this weekend, so any other opinions are still very much appreciated.

You all are the best!!

Brett