Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Plays like Almost, Maine

Posted 08-22-2017 09:43
    Can anyone suggest plays similar to Almost, Maine.....meaning.....individual stories with a lot of characters under the same basic theme?

I have a lot of kids who would like to be involved in a full length play but are in two different classes.  

After school rehearsal is a sometimes option but much of the rehearsals will happen in class.

I am ALSO interested in one-acts dealing with our diversity of Latino and Marshalese students.

Thanks.

--
    Linda K. Button

• 2.  RE: Plays like Almost, Maine

Posted 08-22-2017 11:10
    Have you thought of something like Trepidation Nation or the Bully Plays? They deal with the same subject matter. Another option (that I do annually) is choose a theme and do several nights of one-acts throughout the year that focus on that particular issue. We done military life, sexual assault, teenage life issues and critical illnesses. Not exactly what you're looking for but another way that's similar. :)

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Plays like Almost, Maine

Posted 08-22-2017 19:20
    We're doing AR Gurney's The Dining Room this spring.  It is a vignette show, though many of the scenes overlap by a few lines.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 4.  RE: Plays like Almost, Maine

Posted 08-23-2017 05:54
    I really enjoyed directing Mutually Assured Destruction: 10 Plays About Brothers and Sisters by Don Zolidis this past year.  

Many years ago we did The Good Doctor by Neil Simon which had a similar vignettes structure. I also recommend The Dining Room as did the previous poster. Best of luck!

Dawn DeMaio
    Theater Teacher/ Director
    GW Hewlett High School

• 5.  RE: Plays like Almost, Maine

Posted 08-23-2017 08:46
    I"m ALWAYS looking for plays like Almost, Maine both because of that script's charm and the opportunities it offers to lots of actors. We've had great luck with Mary Zimmerman's Metamorphoses (you can get permission to cut the Myrrah myth) and Arabian Nights by Dominic Cooke because you can have different actors in each myth/story, rehearse them separately, and then weave the pieces together.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 6.  RE: Plays like Almost, Maine

Posted 08-23-2017 09:49
    You might want to look at Neil Simon's Suite plays: California Suite, London Suite, and Plaza Suite.  They are longer one acts, four to each show.  The nice thing about each show is that they are all located in a hotel room - so one set! Each one has some serious drama, drama/comedy and a farce.  Like Almost, Maine they make you think and make you laugh.  

Break a leg!

Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach High School
    Columbia, MD

• 7.  RE: Plays like Almost, Maine

Posted 08-23-2017 10:29
    John Cariani also wrote a play called Love/Sick - it is formatted just like Almost, Maine - content is possibly a bit more mature but I love it.

Kelly Michale
    Kansas City MO

• 8.  RE: Plays like Almost, Maine

Posted 08-23-2017 16:46
    Two other vignette plays: Last Day of School by Ian McWethy and Love, Death and the Prom by Jon Jory.

---------------------------------
    Jenner Veitch
    Theatre Teacher

San Diego CA
    ---------------------------------

• 9.  RE: Plays like Almost, Maine

Posted 08-23-2017 23:06
    Maybe Baby it's You, Sixteen in 10 minutes and The Dining Room by Gurney fit your request.

Sent from my iPad

• 10.  RE: Plays like Almost, Maine

Posted 08-27-2017 12:08
    All in the Timing by DAvid Ives

Bernadette MacLeod
    Charlotte NC