Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Problems with Samuel French

Posted 09-30-2019 11:27
    Has anyone else been having issues with Samuel French?  I contacted them several weeks ago about adding a performance date to our run for the fall play, but all I've received is an automatic reply that they are backed up on requests and they will reply within three weeks.  As of last week, that time frame has elapsed.

I was also shocked to discover this morning that even though my school sent payment for royalties back in July (and the check has cleared!), Sam French is still saying they have not received payment.  

Update:  Finally got through to them and payment has been marked as received.
    ------------------------------
    Derek Friederich
    Thespian Troupe 417/Speech Coach/Jr. High Drama/Fine Arts Center Technical Director
    Postville IA

• 2.  RE: Problems with Samuel French

Posted 10-01-2019 07:51
    I have found that a lot of these companies are still "old school" in regards to transactions, keeping records, etc. Kind of strange, but true. Glad it worked out.

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 3.  RE: Problems with Samuel French

Posted 10-01-2019 09:51
    After waiting over two months, I finally cancelled my request for a show they manage and went elsewhere....
    . I've directed over 100 shows, and have used French many times, but not anymore. Not sure what has happened, but service 
    has been lacking.

Ginger Latimer
    Performing Arts Chair/ Theatre Director
    Madera CA

• 4.  RE: Problems with Samuel French

Posted 10-01-2019 13:02
    I've always had trouble with Samuel French. They don't seem to "get" doing shows in schools. I actually try to avoid doing their shows. Their customer service is terrible, especially with their musicals.

Roger

• 5.  RE: Problems with Samuel French

Posted 10-01-2019 20:45
    yes.  I'm sorry,
    Just yes.  I'm fatigued from trying to reach them to get confirmation that they have received payment that was sent 5 weeks ago according to my finance department.  Tams-Witmark too.  But my R&H payment went through in less than two weeks from mailing.  Go figure.  Heavy sigh.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 6.  RE: Problems with Samuel French

Posted 10-02-2019 13:43