Open Forum

View Only

Good, HS appropriate LGBTQ play

• 1.  Good, HS appropriate LGBTQ play

Posted 03-03-2020 10:28
    I wanted to do She kills Monsters next year for the fall play, my admin is leery of it. In looking at my past 15 yrs. in this district, it hits me that all the stories I have put on the stage are really heterosexual, my large group of LGBTQ kids never sees themselves up there. My admin is open to doing a play that shows them, but SKM makes him uncomfortable (for a bunch of reasons). Laramie is also out. So, does anyone have a suggestion for a good, HS appropriate, full length play that my LGBTQ kids would see themselves represented in? I really want to give them a chance to see themselves up there.  Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 2.  RE: Good, HS appropriate LGBTQ play

Posted 03-04-2020 07:10
    Hi:)
    Not sure about a play, but there are several musicals that introduce the subject gently. We have a similarly "leery" district when it comes to this. Last year we did All Shook Up and got at least 2 complaints from parents. However, this year we did Legally Blonde and marketed it as PG13, with only rave reviews so far. It has a Lesbian character and of course the song "Gay or European?" Someday I'd like to do Bring it On, which has a transgender character. These are all very mild representations I know, but you have to start somewhere. Good luck, hope you find something:)

Lori Bush
    Director of Theatre Activities
    Pike County Middle & High Schools
    Zebulon, GA

• 3.  RE: Good, HS appropriate LGBTQ play

Posted 03-04-2020 08:33
    Twelfth Night

• 4.  RE: Good, HS appropriate LGBTQ play

Posted 03-04-2020 08:49
    "The Wrestling Season" or "All of Us," both by Laurie Brooks. 

• 5.  RE: Good, HS appropriate LGBTQ play

Posted 03-05-2020 08:55
    Lindsay- 
    Do She Kills Monsters- Young Adventuerers Edition.  It is written specifically for teens (and if you ask myself and my VERY D&D enthused assistant director makes more sense- because the game is played by teens anyway).  The show is a tamed down version of the original, but still calls for a same sex make out session. I was able to stage it with one kiss the audience could see and some creative blocking.  My admin had reservations, but I got permission from both actresses parents, and in my fairly conservative community, we had absolutely no complaints.  It was awesome to get the LGBTQ representation on stage. 

--
    Brooke Phillips
    Teacher/Director of Theatre
    Millard West High School
    Co Chapter Director-Nebraska Thespians

• 6.  RE: Good, HS appropriate LGBTQ play

Posted 03-04-2020 09:13
    We just completed a play for our one act competition.  It's called "The Door".  It is about violence against the LBGTQ youth.  The grandmother has a lot of language to her, but the playwright is wonderful to work with.  He allowed us to removed a lot of the language, let us update the pics and names at the end.  It was a powerful play that affected people of all ages.  I was worried about blowback, but I didn't have one complaint.  No matter what you believe, we can all agree that no child or teenager should be killed for what they believe in.  Issue is, it is mainly a two person cast until the end, when we had twelve individuals walk out holding framed pics of victims of violence and they shared the name and short background of the individual.

Shonna Vandivort
    Drama Instructor
    McLoud High School
    McLoud OK

• 7.  RE: Good, HS appropriate LGBTQ play

Posted 03-04-2020 11:16
    I read, but have not produced, The Absolute Brightness of Leonard Pelkey by James Lecesne. It's absolutely beautiful and left me happy and optomistic, even though it deals with a tragedy. It is listed as a one man show, but can also be broken into 9 different roles. If memory serves, there was no language. The young man in the title is only talked about, never an actual role so that might not be what you're looking for - but just really beautiful. Meaty roles for serious acting students. Worth a read!

Megan Upton-Tyner
    Drama Instructor
    Newton KS

• 8.  RE: Good, HS appropriate LGBTQ play

Posted 03-24-2020 23:24
    "The Absolute Brightness of Leonard Pelkey" by James Lecesne is a beautiful, uplifting play.  I saw James perform it himself (we go back to days of doing "Cloud 9" together, when he was a wee one,  at the end of the original Off-Bway run!) and he was luminous -- but yes, the roles could well be broken up and played by different actors. Go for it!

--
    Elaine Bromka
    Montclair, NJ

• 9.  RE: Good, HS appropriate LGBTQ play

Posted 03-25-2020 10:24
    James Lecesne sent this reply when I reached out to him to tell him that teachers on the EdTA Forum were mentioning "The Absolute Brightness of Leonard Pelkey". You are welcome to email him directly at james@jameslecesne.com

You are a dear to think of me - and the absolute brightness of Leonard.  And yes, please pass along my email. I'm pretty sure that we supplied DPS with a school friendly version of the script.  And I live for the day I can see a 15 year old play one of the old ladies in the show. That would be my dream come true.

Arlene Hutton, playwright
    Letters to Sala
    I Dream Before I Take the Stand
    Kissed the Girls & Made Them Cry
    As It Is In Heaven
    Susie Sits Shiva (EdTA commission)

faculty, The Barrow Group, NYC
    arlene@barrowgroup.org

• 10.  RE: Good, HS appropriate LGBTQ play

Posted 03-04-2020 11:17
    Aaannd I just read a pre-view and there is language - oops.

Megan Upton-Tyner
    Drama Instructor
    Newton KS

• 11.  RE: Good, HS appropriate LGBTQ play

Posted 03-04-2020 11:21
    Thank you everyone! Some nice ideas, keep them coming please. My Fall play is usually at least twenty kids, but I am open to anything, maybe even double casts.

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 12.  RE: Good, HS appropriate LGBTQ play

Posted 03-05-2020 00:14
    Did you look at both versions of SKM?  There's a Young Adventurers version that I actually like better.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 13.  RE: Good, HS appropriate LGBTQ play

Posted 03-04-2020 13:04
    If you're talking about the grandmother, she definitely has colorful vocabulary.  Contact Dramatic Publishing and the playwright.  He allowed us to remove the language.  He was wonderful and super easy to work with.

Shonna Vandivort
    Drama Instructor
    McLoud High School
    McLoud OK

• 14.  RE: Good, HS appropriate LGBTQ play

Posted 03-06-2020 10:24
    I really like "Space Girl" by Mona V. Harris. I would have done it this spring, but we did "She Kills Monsters" in the fall, and they're too similar (including lesbian characters), though I think probably your admin would not have the same objections to "Space Girl" as SKM -- at least worth a try. It's been a while since I read these scripts, but I really liked "A Spare Me" by A. Rey Pamatmat and "Nothing is the End of the World (Except the End of the World)" by Bekah Brunstetter, and both have M/M relationships in them. All three are from Playscripts.

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 15.  RE: Good, HS appropriate LGBTQ play

Posted 03-06-2020 10:48
    When I directed the YA Edition this fall, we got permission to remove the epithet in the script, and we staged the "make out scene" without actual kissing -- it still looked like they were making out. Our costumes for Lilith and Kaliope also were not that revealing, and it didn't make a difference -- those lines were still funny, and it doesn't really matter if they are actually scantily-clad or not. We also worked with a fantastic fight director, and he's local to us, Jeff -- if you end up going ahead with SKM, message me and I'll give you his contact info.

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 16.  RE: Good, HS appropriate LGBTQ play

Posted 03-25-2020 09:45
    While it isn't the central thrust of the play, a relationship develops between two of the major female characters in Stephen Gregg's Crush, available from Dramatic Publishing.  In rehearsals for our production, I worked to underline that growing relationship visually, and I made sure that they were holding hands in the last big group scene.

It's also a great play for high schools in general: large cast (but with roles that smaller groups could double), many gender-flexible roles, color-blind-casting-friendly, minimal sets, contemporary costumes (aside from the multi-being alien, but that's fun to work on), mostly teen characters, and just really well-written.  An oddball sci-fi piece that my students, of course, had never heard of, but that they really took to.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 17.  RE: Good, HS appropriate LGBTQ play

Posted 03-26-2020 19:52
    We were supposed to open SKM YA edition on 4/3 but obviously the show has been postponed.  That said, I can't recommend this show enough for what you're going for.  I'm committed to coming in over the summer to see it to fruition.  The message is so powerful.

Almost, Maine has a great scene called "They Fell" which went over incredibly well with our rural audience.  We did it with two males but there is a version with two females as well.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest also has the character Harding who is gay.  We did this show last spring and I cast Harding as female.  Again, it was really well received but definitely not as up front as the other two examples.

K Lang
    Ticonderoga NY