Open Forum

View Only

Cast List Let Down

• 1.  Cast List Let Down

Posted 08-25-2016 07:33

Next week we hold our auditions for our Fall production of ALL MY SONS.  This is my second year at the helm and we had a great fort year together (last Fall's production of Lisa Loomer's DISTRACTED won the prestigious Connecticut Halo Award for "Best Contenporary Play" in the entire state.) up to this point our school has operated from a "you audition, you are cast" mold.  But for the first time I am instituting a Fall casting policy that dimly states that auditioning for the play does not guarantee you a role.  I've added a caveat that for all who audition I will find a role backstage.  I am bracing for some potential fall out- going as far as having parents and students sign a co tract prior to auditioning stipulating they understand the policy but I am sure their still will be parent phone calls/emails and tears.  Can anyone let me know how you best deal with cast list disappointment?  We are a private school so simply stating that I will not field any questions about casting isn't really an option.  Love to hear your thoughts!

Best,

------------------------------
    Jason Peck
    St. Luke's School
    Ridgefield CT

• 2.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 08-25-2016 10:51

I start every audition with a speech about how casting works and the needs of the play rather than the actors who want to participate. I point out that the best cast may not be you even if you were the" best actor" for that particular role. Looking at the cast as a whole is part of the audition process and all potential actors need to understand that. I also encourage students to come get individual notes AFTER the entire audition process is complete. I will not answer any questions from anyone while casting but am happy to address individuals after the cast has been announced. I also do not answer parents. If a student would like to get individual notes about the audition including, but not limited to, strong choices, weaker choices, how they did (or didn't) fit into the cast, why they received a specific role or weren't cast I am happy to do so for the week following the announcement. I keep all of my audition notes so I can refer back to them as needed. After that, the notes are gone and the kids are out of luck... unless they made specific arrangements. I also only do this face-to-face. I will not provide this information in writing. I like to be able to have the personal interactions with the kids.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 08-26-2016 10:56
    Several times during the audition process I ask the actors this:  Do you want the PART or do you want to be part OF this production?  However, no matter how many times you remind them that there can only be ONE Romeo there is always disappointment.  That's a life lesson that is better learned early.

There have been occasions when, on the day the cast list goes up, an actor and their parent come to the door and ask why they didn't get the part they wanted. They just "want to know, for next time".   I ask them to leave.  Nicely.  Almost 100% of the time after we are in rehearsals for a month or so they understand, learn the lesson, and are really glad for the part they got.

I also tell the actors that I do not cast with seniority.  I put the right person in the part, period.  Freshmen have been cast in the lead part when it was right, much to the chagrin of seniors.  But I have been consistent with all these policies and eventually the students all know that.

Good luck!

Ms. Valerie O'Riordan, Drama Director
    ​Archbishop Riordan High School
    San Francisco

This year on the Riordan stage…A SALUTE TO SHAKESPEARE!

Auditions for The Shakespeare Shorts

​are​
     August 30th

• 4.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 08-26-2016 15:28

I echo what Shira said about the needs of the show.  I use the illustration of a puzzle--finding the right pieces to put together to create the best picture.  I also emphasize--repeatedly--that not being cast does NOT mean 

I announce the cast and crew at the same time, on a Friday.  I do not answer questions about casting decisions until Monday.  I've found that giving them some time to process and reflect results in a better conversation than discussing right when they learn the casting.

I also provide a feedback letter for every student that auditions.  If I have 60 kids audition, I write 60 letters. Some of it is a form letter, but I do include feedback specific to each performer's audition.   The cast list is in the letter.  I do NOT post the cast list at first on my callboard--just all the letters, folded in half so they can't read the list at first.  This gives students the opportunity to take their letter elsewhere and read it in private, should they wish to.  Of course, there is a lot of sharing of good news, so often times kids know before they get to the board.

Good luck.  For what it's worth, I think you are doing the kids a service in this.  Everything worth doing has risk of failure.  Auditioning for a show knowing that there is a chance that they won't be cast is a scary step, but necessary for growth.

Josh Belk
    Director of Theatre
    Palmer Ridge High School
    Monument CO

• 5.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 12-08-2016 10:17

I'm working on a story for Dramatics magazine about dealing with theatre rejection and I'm finding this thread to be very helpful. Would any teachers be willing to speak more on the topic privately (and potentially connect me with stories of students who have successfully overcome initial rejection)? Thanks in advance if you can help out!

Hannah Purnell
    Bellevue KY

• 6.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 12-14-2016 11:26

Hannah,

I'd love to talk to you.  I have a wonderful student story as well.

Jennifer Miguel
    Hampton, VA

• 7.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 08-26-2016 08:33

Some directors will do emails/letters referred to as "Thanks but no thanks" and they are sent to each student that was cast giving them specific notes on what to improve or why they may have not been selected as a cast member.  I think this helps the students have some 'reason' and helps deter any hurt feelings.  It is quite the time commitment if you chose to do so, BUT it may help.

Claire LaNicca
    Theatre Director
    Cincinnati OH

• 8.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 08-26-2016 09:27

When I started at my current school I took instituted "best actor for the part gets it". The results in terms of quality of work was fantastic. The other result was parents complaining after every cast list went up - sometimes all the way to the superintendent! 
    I have adopted a few policies that have pretty much stopped this (a few years ago I still had a parent go to the super - but she was cray-cray so, what're you gonna do?). 

1) All students get an audition packet which states clearly that they are auditioning for a part in the play - NOT a specific part in the show.

2) At the Audition workshop I verbally reiterate that - and also tell them if they cannot handle getting a chorus part instead of the lead, they should not audition,

3) I use a casting panel - this is the scariest thing I have ever done, because I cede all control, but it has also been the best. When i decided to do this, I decided that the panel had to be legit, not a rubber stamp for my wishes. I usually actually say nothing on casting when we decide the list. I facilitate, but the panel decides who is in, out, and in what part. The rules are that the panel must come to consensus, and they may only consider the audition they saw that day - not previous roles, classwork etc.  The panel is usually 7 people including myself, and while almost every show they cast a little differently than I would have - they have never been wrong! 
    This panel allows me to invalidate all the "favorites" accusations etc. that come with this job. Though i think the parents and students still think I secretly control the outcomes.

4) The day the cast list is posted, after school, the panel will stay and meet with any student who wants feedback on their audition. ALL CONCERNS are handled at that time btwn. the panel and the student. I don't take phone calls from parents about audition. Students understand we will only discuss their audition, not anyone else's and that we will give them feedback on how to improve. 
    This meeting with the students is similar to what sports does, and they do not take calls, so I implemented it as well. It can be painful, a lot tears sometimes, but I have also seen it completely change the way a kid auditions the next time - as they apply what we told them and make it work. It's a very valuable tool for students, and sometimes illuminating for us as well.

anyway, that was longer than I wanted, I run on. I also have a contract they sign, etc. If you want I can post a sample of this year's audition packet.

Jeff

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 9.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 09-04-2016 16:06

Please post it. It would be excellent, Jeff Davis. I am seriously thinking of going in this direction this year.

Joni Siler
    Bronson MI

• 10.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 09-05-2016 07:56
      |   view attached

Here ya go Joni!

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

Attachment(s)

• 11.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 12-13-2016 11:30

Re. the idea of the director offering "reasons" for not getting cast.  I don't know that I find this compatible with the nature of auditions.  I don't view auditions as a teachable moment the way some do.  Often casting boils down to things outside the actors' control i.e. height or look etc.  Often an actor will work their hardest in the audition, but someone was simply better.  I'm not sure that hearing these hard truths help young actors. 

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 12.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 12-13-2016 12:00

Before someone comes down on my (knowingly) contrarian response, let me make it clear:  I am all for giving students feedback on how to grow and doing so in a variety of contexts and settings.  I'm just not sure that an audition is one of those settings because it is a specific kind of event with a specific purpose.  

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 13.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 08-26-2016 09:25

I do not post a cast list until a few weeks into the process. Instead I write individual feedback to each student who auditions and the ones who are cast have a special symbol or note on their audition sheet. I seal the feedback in envelopes and then the students all receive something from the process. When I mark those that are in the show I do not tell them their roles until the first or second rehearsal. It puts everyone on an even playing field to start. I have really loved the process. It has been an amazing process and I have never had a question from students or parents. I have had as many as 120 students audition and that means a lot of work but I really love it. It has had a great positive impact on my program. Break a leg!

Tracy Schwartz
    Littleton CO

• 14.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 08-26-2016 11:56

I've never had to cast a show (for which I am major galaxy-class thankful), but I've had similar experiences while designing sets in non-professional theatre, all the way from brand-new directors to overhire carpenters and painters. My standard line, when necessary, is "That's how it's done in professional theatre."

I know that may sound like a cop-out, but professional live theatre is an industry that has been around for a very long time, and it has developed ways of doing things for very specific reasons. In the U.S., the unions involved have very specific contracts with the theatres and the people who work in them, and some of these "ways" are spelled out in them. In the "backstage" fields, there are standardized ways of building and painting scenery, hanging lights with safety cables, and so on and on, all based on long experience, efficiency, cost, and safety. A side benefit of this is that, because theatre people tend to work in lots of different production companies, they don't have to re-learn "how things are done here" every time. The movie industry works the same way.

I'm not a teacher, but, having been a student, I would think it's important to introduce the kids to how things are done in the world they will encounter after high school. Auditions fit right in there.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 15.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 08-26-2016 13:13

Contracts are a good idea as is some sort of statement that students sign on their audition information sheet stipulating that they will accept any or no part given and that they will work to the best of their ability to produce the needs of the script.

Some things I have found to help make the process of casting easier on all through out the years is to build a program that 1) features a lot of student talent 2) seeks to place students in the "right part" but also seeks to spread around the wealth of those opportunities through out the season or over the years.

Understudies and swings are also a really good idea, too.  It is very nice to have people to fill in parts when actors are not available and one can learn a lot from understudying a role.

A student parent night before the cast list is announced or before auditions is a really good idea, too.  There you can explain to the students and parents your philosophy and your goals for the program, that goes a long way.

Looking to form a parent leadership team also helps.

As does having another colleague sit in on auditions to get another set of ears and eyes so to speak as well.

I think judging from your post, you are headed in the right direction.

Best

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 16.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 08-28-2016 22:23

Oh, the anxiety around casting!  I feel your pain.  A few tips that have made my life easier...

1.  Allow audition feedback ONE WEEK after auditions.  I find that this allows for parents and students to remove the emotions from the situation.  It is important that this policy is publically placed prior to auditions.  I also only give feedback to the student who auditioned, not their parent.  At each audition feedback session, I start with two questions. What were you proud of in your audition?  What do you wish you could have improved on?

2.  I find that theater teaches students (and parents) how to deal with rejection, but for the most part, we put out a cast list and the kids have to figure out how to handle the rejection for themselves.  We as teachers often miss the crucial step of modeling or explaining how they should handle the "rejection."  I write a letter that accompanies our cast list to help students (and parents) through this process.  I also always try to humanize myself in the process (helpful to remind others that we are, in fact, humans!).  The last letter I wrote sounded like this:

"When I am not cast after what I feel is a great audition, my first reaction is a mix of anger and self-doubt. I prepared the material, I cried on cue, my tactics were unqiue—so why wasn't I chosen? I inevitably turn inward and start to rip apart my performance and consequently, myself.

These feelings are pretty normal and natural, but they’re also not very helpful. So, take a breath and remember, many casting decisions are not about how talented you are, but who is the right fit.  As much as we love Will Ferrell, he would never be cast as James Bond, or Amy Poehler as Katniss.

When I am not cast, I take the time to review my audition and write down what I did well, and what I can work on.  I turn my 'rejected' feeling into motivation. Download the music from 'Rocky' and start focusing on your next move. Get pumped. Set goals. Use that energy to make changes and improvements for your next audition."

3.  Look at the way you run your tech theater program.  Will everyone who wants to be able to join crew?  How can you make crew feel just as important as the cast?  Hopefully, you've built an awesome community that the students simply want to be a part of. To expand opportunities for our crew, we costume our ushers in something similar to the show, and they work every show.  For our upcoming musical "Mary Poppins," they are dressed as chimney sweeps.  

4.  We created production assistants.  Production assistants are essentially understudies.  I have one girl and one boy.  They fill in for any actor or actress who is missing during a rehearsal.  They also help me with all producer type jobs: collecting forms, ordering t-shirts, program layouts, etc.  This position is my right-hand and is often fairly coveted because I hand pick them and it comes with a lot of responsibility.  I find this model preferable to understudies because I hate to ask understudies to do all the work to study a role and never get to perform.

While those are a few tips of what's worked for me in my situation, I do have an idea for something to "expand" your "cast."  The music program at your school is very strong, and your students are capable of teaching and arranging their own music.  What if there was period music sung by your students?  You could do this live backstage with a mic or pre-record it.  You could even ask them to perform as the house music before the show and at intermission. It could allow more students to feel involved in the performance aspect without having to add parts to the show.  Because this is a skill your students already have, it could potentially be very low maintenance and involvement for you. 

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 17.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 09-05-2016 07:59

Jessica,
    I love the modeling! I will use that - probably in my pre-audition workshop, but I will use that. Thank you!

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 18.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 08-29-2016 13:32

After dealing with the drama of posting a cast list, I now follow a procedure designed off an article by Jo Beth Gonzalez that was in the Dramatics magazine several years ago. 

The Monday following auditions all of the students pick up an envelope after school from the Stage Manager. In this envelope there is a letter - listing whether they have been cast (and their role) or not - and an audition critique form.  No formal cast list goes up until the next morning. Students are welcome to open their envelope at that time, or take it out to their car, or even wait until 10:00 at night when they finished studying (yes, this actually happened one time!). The point being that they get to open it on their own time and process as they need to without the pressure of others knowing before them (good or bad) or the letdown of not seeing their name on a list.

The students hate that they have to wait a weekend to find out casting, but I've been doing it for so many years now, they're gotten used to it. I've found that having the extra time to process auditions and callbacks is helpful for me. Also, taking the time to write out individual feedback is a hassle and definitely takes up my weekend. However, this has lessened the number of upset students immediately after casting decisions because they have the feedback to grow from. I've even had seniors meet with me during which they bring along the critiques from all of their HS auditions and point out where they know their strengths and weaknesses are and ask specific questions for advice for future auditions. I'm also very clear the the critique is of their initial audition and not a rubric by which casting is decided - it is a tool for them to grow. 

Best wishes for your auditions this week!

Teresa McGrath
    Theatre Director and Fine Arts Department Chair
    SJCS - Greenville SC

• 19.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 08-29-2016 17:13

Have you read anything by Jo Beth Gonzalez? Her philosophy has really changed the way I handle casting. She points out that we are producing theatre in an educational environment, and yet we handle casting in like it's handled in a business environment (aka The Real World). It can be a humiliating and fearsome process for our students, and we often neglect the feedback that is second nature to the rest of our teaching. 

So, she suggests handling it like this:

• Create a form that the director or casting panel use for each student. The form requires both positive and critical feedback about each student auditioning.
    • Cast your show.
    • Create a letter for each student (I used some fancy Google footwork make this part less labor intensive) that details whether or not that student has been cast and gives that student both positive and critical feedback curated from the form... each and every student who auditioned gets this. And each receives the feedback.
    • On casting day, put each letter in an envelope with the student's name on it.
    • The stage manager hands out the envelopes and the rule is that nobody can open their envelope in the room. (Some open it just outside, others wait to go home and open it with mom, others hole up in a bathroom.)
    • The cast list is posted when everyone accepts their roles.

Since having adopted this, casting has been such a positive experience! Students (both those who were cast and those who weren't) love getting the feedback. Since everyone gets equal parts positive and critical feedback, there's no comparing of scores. Students know what they do well and know what can be improved. The anxieties are dissipated, as those who need support can get it. 

It's definitely more work, but I've been able to set up a Google Form > Google Spreadsheet > Autocrat Mail Merge > Google Doc workflow that helps automate things. The most time-consuming part is curating comments from the auditions and putting those into the letters. But it's time well-spent. I enjoy looking over what comments the students receive. It helps me teach them more effectively in the long run.

Break a leg!

Danielle

Danielle Filas
    Language Arts Department Chair
    Thespian Director, Troupe 6116
    Powell OH

• 20.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 08-30-2016 14:09

This is one of those, "why didn't I think of that before?" moments!

Do you - or does anyone - have an effective feedback form that you're willing to share? My auditions are next week and I'm definitely going to try this!! I generally post the cast list online anyway - and always on a weekend - which has worked wonders to alleviate pressure, but I LOVE the idea of ALSO providing audition feedback in a positive, educational manner. 

Kaila Schwartz
    Theatre Arts, Director
    Milpitas Unified School District
    San Jose CA

• 21.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 08-30-2016 22:16

I'd be happy to share my materials! Let me get things in an order that makes them usable for folks... Give me the weekend and I'm happy to share. Jo Beth Gonzalez is an EdTA member, too. She really changed how I do things and her books are terrific! Tell her Danielle sent ya :D

Stay tuned. Will share!

Danielle Filas
    Thespian Troupe Director, Language Arts Department Chair, Technology Integration Specialist
    Powell OH

• 22.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 08-31-2016 10:59
      |   view attached

If interested, this is the form that I use for play auditions. For musical auditions, we vary it based on our process to just 2 categories (vocal and dance). Depending on the show, I have a casting committee, so there are multiple people involved with the scoring. Each casting committee member inputs their own scores (I have this set up on a google spreadsheet, so everyone can be on the same doc at the same time). For our scoring system we have a very basic 4, 3, 2, 1 scoring. I have found that we don't have a need for any more (most people are getting 2's and 3's). I average the scores of the committee members for each category and that is what the students see. When possible, it is nice to also have brief comments from the committee members and that support and 'explain' the numeric score. These are also is imported into their letter.

Afterwards I simply export to an excel doc and have the audition feedback letter set up in a mail merge, so I can fairly quickly (relative term) import the information and print an individual letter for each student.

I still post a cast list the next day (which based on this conversation I am reconsidering), but I encourage them to come to see me for their feedback form. Usually about half of the students pick it up.

Mark Zortman
    PA Chapter Director
    York PA

Attachment(s)

• 23.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 08-30-2016 10:39

Last year I decided that rather than post the cast list for all to see, I handed out casting letters to each person who auditioned.  This letter included an evaluation of their audition, which evaluated carriage of body, physical suitability to role, vocal suitability to role, vocal expression, and energized reactions to other along with comments of encouragement.  A second letter stated whether or not the student was cast and in what role.  I passed these out in the morning and they had until the end of the school day to let me know whether or not they accepted the role.  The next day, the final cast list was posted.  Although I still had some sad and disappointed students, they could deal with it in private.  I plan to continue this process this year.

Mary Midiri-Davis
    Illiopolis IL

• 24.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 09-05-2016 13:02

I have an interesting situation. I was hired this year to replace a teacher whose one year in her position last year did not go well. The reasons vary depending on who you ask. One that I have heard is that she committed the cardinal sin of casting "brand new kids to the program over 11th and 12th graders who have been doing this since middle school." This was from one of our AMAZING booster parents, whose child happened to be an 11th grader this year. All told, I had three children of Boosters try out for my fall play this year. One was amazing and the clear choice for the lead- and a senior. The other two were sophomores who gave good auditions, one of whom completely shone in a minor role. I refuse to cast anyone outside of their audition based on who their parent is. However, by casting my lead as I am, I'm worried that people will think that I cast her simply because of who her mom is.

On top of that, I *did* cast a 9th grader as my male lead and another in a large supporting role. I am more excited about those auditions than any others because they were very unexpected and they bode well for the future of the program.

• 25.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 09-06-2016 08:48

I am fortunate to have a large turn out for my productions so I do double and triple cast the shows depending on the size of the play.  Final cast list is usually from 20 - 24 students.  I was still getting questions from my school as to why more students could not be cast.   A few years ago I started a "JV" version of the play called the Playwrights Festival.  We celebrate the works of the same playwright as the play (or Genre) and do smaller scenes directed by our advanced students.  I lead a directing workshop for those students and then they direct the various scenes.  That way we now have a policy of - if you audition for the play you will be cast in either the play or the festival.  This has been a great way to train younger students and get as many students involved as possible.  It is a lot of work but we have seen a great improvement in the program.

Ted Curry
    St. Ignatius College Prep
    San Francisco CA

• 26.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 12-09-2016 23:31

I have never had many complaints about casting after my first couple of years in a school.  I think there are probably a few reasons for that.  The most important, I believe, is that I am utterly consistent in my methods of handling auditions and casting.  

All auditions are open.  Every single person auditioning watches every other person auditioning.  (I love those moments when the absolutely right combination of actors reads together and the whole room knows it.)

I do cold readings for every extracurricular show besides Shakespeare, where I ask each student to prepare a one-minute monologue in addition to doing cold readings.  I read every student in the room before I read any student a second time. 

For class shows, I teach an audition unit first, then have formal auditions where students have numbers and go in order, then do cold readings.  

At the end of the second (and final) day of auditions, I allow 10 to 15 minutes for students to grab scene partners and read any character for which they do not feel sufficiently read.  Once in a while, a student will show me a quality I didn't see previously, but the main thing is they don't leave saying, "I would have gotten that part, if I had had a chance to read for it again!"

I send an email to myself, with all the cast members as BCC, listing the cast and welcoming them aboard.  

I send another email to myself, with students not cast as BCC, with the subject "I'm sorry I couldn't cast you."  I send the cast list, explain about Saturday work days and other ways they can be involved in the show, and encourage them to audition again. 

I make no apologies for casting a senior who has taken four or five theatre classes over a younger student who may have talent, but has not taken classes, because I can't predict how much closer that unknown student may progress over the rehearsal period, and I know the skills and work ethic that senior has developed.  (If a talented student who has taken several classes with me isn't a better candidate than a student with just raw talent, I am grossly overpaid.)

My Thespian troupe has my back about casting.  And I love them for that.  They trust me.  

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 27.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 12-11-2016 11:31

I agree with everything that has been posted about the topic of cast let down.  Prepping kids is the most important thing to do as well as having at least one other person in on the decision process.  However, one thing that has not been mentioned is what I do on audition day.

Eliminate  open auditions: I do NOT have open auditions anymore where everyone sitting in the room watches the entire process.  Student are prevented from comparing themselves to others and casting the show with you. I give my "speech" to the entire group so that everyone hears the same thing about the process and then I send them out to the hallway. Five students are called in at a time. I've done this for that last four years and it has limited the heartbreak and the friends who fuel the fire by rallying around the heartbroken student.

Marla Blasko
    Theatre Arts Director
    Columbia MD

• 28.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 12-13-2016 10:54

If you are offering everyone a position backstage who auditions, how do you make sure that your "technical" students get positions and are not aced out by on stage performers who did not get a part?  There are several of your students who will have no interest in performing on stage but want to be involved.

Technical theater gives the quietest students a voice. 

*EDIT*  I would also argue that looking at a backstage position as a "consolation prize" devalues what we do in the technical side of theater.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeffrey Koontz
    Technical Associate
    Omaha NE

• 29.  RE: Cast List Let Down

Posted 12-15-2016 08:53

I always tell my students that the joker in the deck is education. We are doing Educational Theatre. Some of my casting decisions may be made for educational rather than specific performance related reasons. If I have two, or more, performers who can do a role, I will sometimes make the decision based on what is best for the growth of a particular performer. Is it time that she play a certain type of role? One has had experiences that another has not so it's time for that other person?

In all cases, I also tell them that I am casting for an ensemble, not necessarily specific (leading) roles and that it may be the case that one performer may fit better with this particular ensemble than another, who might be better with a different group.

For call backs, I always tell them that being called back only means that I want to see more. It doesn't mean they've been cast, or will be cast. It only means that I want to see more. Early in my career, I made this point vividly by not calling back an actress that I had already cast. I didn't need to see more. It was, perhaps, cruel, but she was delighted to discover the next day that she had the lead. (She did mumble something about pins and a voodoo doll, but she forgave me eventually.)

In regard to tech vs performance roles in a show, this is never an issue for me because all performers in my program are required to learn tech and work on some technical aspect of the production. They all understand the value of every role in the ensemble and realize that every person tech / performance / management has a significant, though different, role in the overall success of the production. Ensemble! Over the years, I have also had performers discover that they had a gift for and enjoyed tech more than performing. ( A few of those reserved techs also took their turns performing.)

Anyway - As far as casting letdown goes - Of course, I have it, but the students understand that it is all about the ensemble and they're proud to be a part of that no matter what role they are filling in a particular production.

Robert Smith
    VA Co-Chapter Director
    James Madison High School
    Vienna VA