Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  With low experience, is a show high risk now?

Posted 12-10-2020 09:00
    Good morning all!

So I am the new Drama Program Director at my High School, and we also have a brand new, just out of college Music Director.  My experience consists of falling into an Assistant Director role a few years ago mid way through a musical because my mentor for student teaching was the director.  The following year, the director was out for medical and I, once again, fell into the role of Director though this time just after casting.  After that I produced a monologue presentation and controlled lights for other clubs.  I'm completely confident that I can run a show under normal circumstances, but I feel like right now all I would do is embarrass the program by attempting to move forward with a spring musical.  

Being the first year that I am officially the Program Director and the Music Director is new, I think it would be pretty high risk for me to spend time and money on something as large as a musical production.  Am I wrong for thinking this way?

Also what else could I do instead?  I lack the experience to pull something out of a hat, and I think the students are losing confidence.  

A suggestions I made was to do a radio style show, but it's been difficult to find a suitable royalty free script that they're interested in (horror/mystery).  

Thanks all for reading my rant!

------------------------------
    Jason Carpenter
    Magnolia DE

• 2.  RE: With low experience, is a show high risk now?

Posted 12-11-2020 08:25
    This a great question, and I think one we are all grappling with, now.

There are, after all, a lot of factors at work in charting a production path, now and in the near future.  I think of primary import is what you think you can handle both physically, mentally, emotionally-- and perhaps more importantly, what is the infrastructure you have available?  Can you pivot to virtual if that needs to occur?  Or will your performance be a hybrid of on stage with distancing and masks and some work live streamed. 

Given those questions, I would suggest trying to complete a small virtual production-- at least as a first effort.  Something maybe 30 minutes in length or so.  You could write a simple script or perhaps work with your students to write a script.  Theatrefolk has a lot of titles that might be suitable for you and your students.

We produced a short 9 person virtual film this fall that I wrote with student help and it was quite successful.

Hope that helps

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: With low experience, is a show high risk now?

Posted 12-11-2020 08:26
    If you're trying to go royalty-free, look at having them create their own work through story theatre or devised theater. Or you could have them adapt a public domain mystery or horror novel into a radio play. There are also some fun straight plays out there that have been adapted to work in a virtual setting -- She Kills Monsters (Virtual Realms), Help Desk or The Radio Play by @Don Zolidis,​ and Bad Auditions On Camera, to name a few. Theatrefolk has a couple, too, maybe look at Shuddersome or Gothic Ghost Stories.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 4.  RE: With low experience, is a show high risk now?

Posted 12-11-2020 09:26
    Try something small that requires very little in terms of technical needs- something like Title Of Show, or Theory of Relativity.  You could purchase streaming rights- just in case and hopefully be able to fill your audience part way and stream and generate enough revenue to cover your rights.  WIth shows like those- you don't need much else besides a keyboard or pit recording, and your performers.

--
    Brooke Phillips
    Teacher/Director of Theatre
    Millard West High School
    Co Chapter Director-Nebraska Thespians

• 5.  RE: With low experience, is a show high risk now?

Posted 12-11-2020 09:40
    I would try reaching put to local playwrights if you know of any. Many are willing to support local schools especially if they happen to be alumni. Also, I don;t know if your state has Dramatic writing as a literature elective but GA does and one of the products students produce is 10 minute plays. Most students are excited to see their work on stage, even digitally, so that might be an option as well. If you don't have Dramatic Writing, I can get you in touch with some teachers in GA who have student writers that would like their plays to be produced.

Mary Beth Westbrook
    Louisville GA

• 6.  RE: With low experience, is a show high risk now?

Posted 12-11-2020 14:21
    Thank you all for your help with this!  This was my first post and I can already tell this community is going to be a great resource.

Jason Carpenter
    Magnolia DE

• 7.  RE: With low experience, is a show high risk now?

Posted 12-11-2020 15:17
    If you are looking to incorporate music, what about a show like Robert Fulgham's All I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten?  Not sure if streaming is available for it, but it's scenes of 1-5 ish performers, no real set needed, and has some music in it that can be used if you want.  And though the script is long, they give you options for pulling pieces together in almost any way imaginable!

Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Munster IN

• 8.  RE: With low experience, is a show high risk now?

Posted 12-12-2020 05:10
    A cabaret type show might be the way to go. Something connected or stand-alone pieces. This could (more) easily be adapted to a hybrid model and if necessary you could record the different numbers/scenes/etc. at school or students could do it at home. Phones capture pretty solid sound and video these days.  I also like the idea of outdoor shows where spacing and physical distance make the risk of transmission a lot less likely. Although sound concerns come into play outside. Break a Leg! Keep the faith. As others have said a nice short piece that is manageable might be a good way to start and build some confidence in your students and program.

Sterling Johnson
    Middle School Drama
    Cairo American College (CAC)
    Cairo, Egypt

• 9.  RE: With low experience, is a show high risk now?

Posted 12-13-2020 07:33

I want to applaud you for knowing when other voices might add some clarity. So often during this past year we all have felt (and in reality have been) alone. It's a frustrating feeling. You are not alone!

Currently, one of the main considerations is the level of community spread in your area and what your community authorities/administration will allow. 

We've had 5 virtual festivals so far in Florida this year and about 100 schools presented one acts. We've had another 10 schools present Mainstage performances for adjudication.

We have had quite the variety of shows. Some onstage with masks, some shields, some unmasked, some virtual, some outside, and some hybrid.

Planning wise, choose a show that has streaming rights. Choosing one that you can record and rebroadcast. That way if you are forced to cancel a live audience you'll still have the ability to show your production.

Finally,  bear in mind that you're going to have kids move in and out of the process because of quarantine. Shows that are cabaret style or more individual speech base tend to be easier right now because a interactive ensemble comes to a halt when half your cast has to stay home for 10 days.
    Is it is a show that is more modular you can at least work with those students remotely.

Productions are the laboratory for what we teach. I encourage you to try something.

Break a leg

Randall Adkison,
    Interim Executive Director, Florida Association for Theatre Education
    Assistant State Director for Festival Operations, Florida Thespians

Teaching Artist, Teaching Artist Alliance
    www.teachingartistalliance.com
    www.randalldelone.com