Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Point Values

Posted 05-10-2017 11:56
    Hey all,

I am curious how you reward points for students attending shows (broadway, community ect). Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.

------------------------------
    Cameron Jackson
    Teacher
    New Albany IN

• 2.  RE: Point Values

Posted 05-10-2017 12:50
    I give them 1 points for a full length and 1/2 point for a one act.

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 3.  RE: Point Values

Posted 05-11-2017 07:55
    We do not assign points for attending shows.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 4.  RE: Point Values

Posted 05-11-2017 11:28
    I give one point for attending a main stage production of any nature. I've found it increases the likelihood of the students going out and seeing shows, and gives that little incentive for parents who are "on the fence" about the kids spending their money that way.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Point Values

Posted 05-11-2017 14:02
    I award 1/2 point for attending a show. It doesn't matter where, including a recording of a live performance (I have a couple of kids who have used digitaltheatre.com to view live theatre and our local performing arts center shows NT LIVE and MET OPERA shows, which are all recordings. I do not allow YouTube viewings). I use the point system from the ITS website. A point should equal 10 hours of theatre experience, so 1/2 point for watching a show seems appropriate especially when they have to pay to see it. I also encourage them to write something in their journal about the experience (what insipred them: set design, costuming, lighting, etc. and how it could influence them as a creator of theatre) because I teach IB Theatre and it helps them when they work on IB tasks.

https://www.schooltheatre.org/internationalthespiansociety/troupedirectors/thespianpointsystem

Jody Hanna
    IB Theatre--Newport High School
    Coastal Act Productions, Artistic Director
    Newport OR

• 6.  RE: Point Values

Posted 05-11-2017 15:23
    I award .5 points for a one act/1 point for a full-length live production. However, they are required to submit a brief google form with the information about the production as well as a few brief questions about their experience. This helps they be accountable and helps me keep track of it all.

Jasmine Bucher
    Musical Director
    Palmyra Area High School

• 7.  RE: Point Values

Posted 05-12-2017 13:41
    In my troupe we don't usually give points for seeing productions, but sometimes a student really wants to work on points and will ask if they can use that, and in those cases we've done 1/2 point for a show, but require them to write a review of the show, which is one of the suggestions on the Official Thespian Point System. 

The two suggestions from ITS can be found here: Official Thespian point system
    Schooltheatre remove preview
    Official Thespian point system
    View this on Schooltheatre >

In

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Arnold High School Theatre
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Program Director and Thespian Sponsor

Florida Association for Theatre Education
    Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair

• 8.  RE: Point Values

Posted 05-13-2017 17:40
    Since a point represents roughly 10 hours of outside work, we award .25 points for seeing a show, as that translates to about 2.5 hours.  If they write a review of it as well, it's another .25 point.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR