Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  YCTIWY Xylophone music

Posted 12-05-2017 16:05

We have just started rehearsals for "You Can't Take It With You" and I'm wondering how you did the music for Ed playing the xylophone.  Recorded music?  On stage live playing random notes?  Any help/insights would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Mike

Mike Hancey
    Theatre Program Director
    Musical Theatre, Drama & Theatre Guild
    Theater Manager
    Laramie High School
    Past-President WYACDA

• 2.  RE: YCTIWY Xylophone music

Posted 12-06-2017 07:45
    What a great show! When we did YCTIWY a few years ago I managed to find an actor who also was a percussionist for our high school band. We used live music on stage. It worked really well and I would recommend that route if you have the right actor available.

------------------------------
    Lindsey Fifield
    Thespian Advisor
    Canton NY

• 3.  RE: YCTIWY Xylophone music

Posted 12-06-2017 08:20
    Such a fun show!!! Our Ed just worked up some decent sounding tunes over time. He threw in some glissandos, but it was pretty random stuff since none of the characters are really supposed to be very good at what they do.

Sent from my iPad

• 4.  RE: YCTIWY Xylophone music

Posted 12-06-2017 11:12
    I directed this play years ago, and if I recall, Ed is not supposed to be very good.  We aimed for comedic effect and had Ed feverishly and dramatically play random notes.  It gave my actor his "moment in the sun" to ham it up a bit.

Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS

• 5.  RE: YCTIWY Xylophone music

Posted 12-07-2017 04:31
    I did this role years ago, I play no instruments, we got a toy xylophone and I learned how to play the song goody goody, I wasn't very good but I was able to get close to the tune nightly, I didn't want to be too good so I only played in rehearsal or show as not to get good and to still make mistakes.We bought the toy xylophone on ebay

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 6.  RE: YCTIWY Xylophone music

Posted 12-08-2017 08:31
    This was our fall play! We rented a 1940s looking xylophone and had someone record the music for Ed. I felt that it had to be somewhat decent in order to have Essie try to dance it.

Good Luck!

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA