Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fall Play Help

Posted 05-16-2017 21:16
    Hi All!

I am having a heck of a time choosing a fall play! I have done Peter and the Starcatcher and a verbatim style (but fiction) play called Zombietown most recently. Both had lots of artistic opportunities, comedy mixed with drama and action. Both were crowd pleasers. I do not know where to go from here. I like shows with a lot of physicality and creative options for thinking outside of the box and prefer something that gets the audience going. Anyone have any plays that were engaging for both actors and audience, drew big crowds and had cool interpretive set options? I have a good mix of guys and girls.

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Fall Play Help

Posted 05-16-2017 22:52
    Hi there, in April my school produced a musical called Lucky Stiff, it's a very funny and quirky show. There were only 15 students in it and the audience absolutely loved it! Here's a link Lucky Stiff
    Music Theatre International remove preview
    Lucky Stiff
    Estimate the approximate cost of your licensing fees by providing a few details about your production. Estimate Your Cost No matter where you are on your theatrical journey, our innovative production resources will enhance your show experience. There don't appear to be any questions submitted.
    View this on Music Theatre International >

------------------------------
    Parker Reith
    ITS Troupe 8393 President for 2017
    Huntersville NC

• 3.  RE: Fall Play Help

Posted 05-17-2017 08:42
    Check out Leaving Iowa.  Simple set, relevant issues, both comedy and drama. A story about a young man's life journey to connect with his father - after his father has died.

Ellen Augustine
    Language Arts Instructor/Theater Director
    Goshen IN

• 4.  RE: Fall Play Help

Posted 05-17-2017 10:35
    Mary Zimmerman's plays offer a lot of opportunities for creative acting work, physical choices, and design elements (we liked Metamorphoses). Strong ensemble, lots of roles. We also had a similar experience with Dominic Cooke's Arabian Nights. None of these are comedic "crowd pleasers," but they have elements of comedy and drama and warmth and triumph. They're very well-written and were very well-received by our audiences. If you're thinking more along the lines of a musical, I vote for Pippin  or Urinetown.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 5.  RE: Fall Play Help

Posted 05-17-2017 11:38
    I am in production with 25th Annual PUTNAM Co Spelling Bee right now. And having a great time. The cast loves the music, the harmonies, the characters. The stage managers love it cause the actors stay on stage the entire time. Each night you include 4 audience spellers. The lines are great. And really requires truthful acting within the genre without "trying to be funny." There are some touching moments and discussion points about competitions for youth and pushy parents.
    We have also produced SHREK and ADDAMS FAMILY recently and had great fun.

Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    Gai@gaijones.com
    Www.gaijones.com

• 6.  RE: Fall Play Help

Posted 05-18-2017 09:24
    One fun play we have done is Don't Drink the Water by Woody Allen.   It's dated but if you really embrace the 60's setting and that particular political climate (Iron Curtain, Cold War, Soviet Union, etc.) it works great.  Some real laugh out loud moments and fun characters.   Lots of physical comedy too.

Another play with some room for creativity is Robin Hood by Larry Blamire.   All the fun characters plus the added element of stage combat.   Our designs (set, costuming, props) reflected a steampunk theme which was fun for the cast too.

Also any Shakespeare play can be adapted to suit your creative ideas.   Plus I don't think you can get more physical action than in Shakespeare's plays.

Pamela Hurt
    Plano TX