Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Lettering For Theatre In High School

Posted 04-17-2019 00:19
    Hi- I am in the process of bringing the Theatre Dept. back at our small high school after a 13 year hiatus. I would like to letter students for Theatre just like they would letter for a sport. I’m looking for advice on how others do this... what do your students have to achieve in order to letter. Thanks for your info and input!!

Karin Neal
    Trinity Catholic High School
    Hutchinson, Kansas

---------------------------------
    Karin Neal
    Forensics Coach and Theatre Director
    Trinity Catholic Jr. Sr. High School
    Hutchinson KS
    ---------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Lettering For Theatre In High School

Posted 04-17-2019 08:59
    My students have to be part of the competition one act - the competition is run by the state athletic association, so that was how I was able to sell it to administration - and one other production.

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: Lettering For Theatre In High School

Posted 04-18-2019 09:49
    To letter in Theatre my students must be an active, inducted Thespian, made a sizable contribution to two productions, taken two theatre classes, and then two more or either productions, classes, or one of each. (Thespian + six items) I also letter students in Technical Theatre with contributions and classes restricted to technical ones. The choir teacher and I  letter students in Musical Theatre after significant contributions in three musicals. Students cannot use the same productions to fill requirements for different letters. 

I know these are pretty strict requirements, but I wanted the letter to be a significant honor that took a lot of effort.

Ann Hileman
    Indiana Executive Board
    Maconaquah High School
    Bunker Hill, IN

• 4.  RE: Lettering For Theatre In High School

Posted 04-19-2019 12:57
      |   view attached
    At our high school, we are allowed to letter students in an activity in addition to a sport. So we have a Theatre Letter. Students have to earn a certain number of points in three categories. We based the point system off of the ITS induction point system. I am attaching the document we use that includes the application for a letter and the list of available points. For us, it is relatively easy to earn a letter but only if you have put in enough hours. Typically, the hours equivalent comes out to about 300 hours to earn a letter. For those students earning a letter for the first time in theatre, they receive a school letter and a theatre masks pin (we order from Jones School Supply but they are readily available on lots of websites). For those receiving a letter for a second, third or fourth year, they receive a gold bar. If a student has received a letter from another activity or sport (they are all the same for our school), then they just receive the masks pin or a bar.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.
    Vicki

Vicki Palmer
    Theatre Technical Director
    Columbia Public Schools
    Columbia MO

Attachment(s)

• 5.  RE: Lettering For Theatre In High School

Posted 04-19-2019 14:52
    This does help!  Thank you for sharing 

Karin

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: Lettering For Theatre In High School

Posted 04-21-2019 21:55
    We have a 2 show minimum on the season (we do 3 main-stage shows, the competitive one-act and Reader's Theatre, and 2 other one-acts each year). They can be on or back-stage, or one of each. AND they have to participate in at least 3 other Theatre Department activities that year. (For example; canned food drive, summer children's theatre camp, winter "Fantasia" camp, homecoming float building & parade, attending the Thespian Conference, going to a group show/activity, etc.)

Beth Keith
    Theatre Teacher
    Harrisonville High School
    Grandview MO