Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Guys and Dolls questions.

Posted 03-02-2019 19:43
    Does anyone know what the reference to paper dolls in the opening scene refers too. Why would it be illegal? Also why would Sara know by the two pair of pants in “I’ll Know”?

--
    *The information contained in this message is covered by all Federal and
    State laws (specifically, 45 C.F.R. § 164.306, 20 U.S.C § 1232g; 34 CFR
    Part 99, 42 CFR § 403.812, Colorado HB 16-1423) and may be privileged and
    confidential. Please be aware that email communications are not considered
    to be a secure means of communication.  If you were the unintended
    recipient and received this message in error, do not use or rely upon it.
    Instead, please inform the sender and then delete it. Thank you.”*

• 2.  RE: Guys and Dolls questions.

Posted 03-03-2019 03:07
    "Two pairs of pants" refers to expensive suits that used to come with two pairs of pants because the pants wore out much faster than the jackets.  It's also a reference to the kind of man who is prepared and neat and tidy! And the polar opposite of Skye.

Kathleen Conner
    California State Thespians CFO

• 3.  RE: Guys and Dolls questions.

Posted 03-03-2019 08:13
    •I interpreted the “two pair of pants” reference as Sky is a man on the go who is not tied down.

•The paper doll vending issue was street entertainment/scam. When a crowd gathers to watch the dancing paper dolls the assistant picks their pockets.

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: Guys and Dolls questions.

Posted 03-03-2019 11:35
    I can answer the question about the doll, as this is what we came up with:
    There are suppose to be two "vendors" (a male and a female) that are selling paper dolls that appear to be magical - they can float and dance on their own! These two people are cons, using a trick wire to make the display paper doll do that, but when people pay for the regular paper doll, their doll just plops to the ground. It is illegal, because it is an old con trick, and these two are conning people out of money.  Their "baby buggy" helps them appear like a couple out on a stroll with a little one, then the "buggy" transforms into a selling platform for the trick paper doll. Every time a cop comes by, they transform it back to the baby buggy and head down the street.
    Hope this helps.

I do not recall about the two pairs of pants...other than the dream guy she wants to marry would be able to own two complete suits - so his pants would be fancy.  That is my best guess...

Have fun with the musical, I loved doing this show! Hope you have been able to read some of Runyon's short stories that the play is based on.  It really helped me get a feel for the mood, tone of the show, as well as the characters, speech patterns, the time period, etc.

------------------------------
    Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 5.  RE: Guys and Dolls questions.

Posted 03-03-2019 17:03
    Kathleen is right about the two pairs of pants.  Suits would come with one pair of pants that were in the same fabric as the jacket, and one that complemented the jacket, such as a plaid.  The unmatched set was worn for less dressy occasions, while the matched jacket and pants were considered more dressy.  

George Burns and Gracie Allen mention her brother Willie wearing a suit with two pairs of pants in one of their routines.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC