Open Forum

View Only

Taking Rehearsal Attendance

• 1.  Taking Rehearsal Attendance

Posted 08-24-2018 09:11
    I am the director of a large program and frequently our productions can have 40 - 100 students involved. I am a stickler about rehearsal attendance and have trained stage managers to be diligent about documenting arrival times and presence but it can sometimes take several minutes to get this done. Does anyone have a great system to check in students that is more efficient? I've considered finding an app but I need something that is location specific......in other words, I don't want an actor 'checking in' while they are actually across the street at Starbucks. 

I'm open to any suggestions!

------------------------------
    Polly Harrison
    Director of Theatre
    Wylie High School
    Wylie, TX

• 2.  RE: Taking Rehearsal Attendance

Posted 08-24-2018 09:30
    Have you considered posting daily sign-in sheets? If you're firm that 1) no one can mark on anyone else's behalf and 2) not being signed in on time constitutes lateness, then your SM just needs to take up the sheet at the start of rehearsal and know who's missing.

We only use this attendance method during tech/dress/performance week, but it has proven effective.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Taking Rehearsal Attendance

Posted 08-25-2018 09:35
    I am a retired teacher who still does one show a year. My music director is a former student who is still in college (it's a long story, good for everyone, happy ending) so we don't know the new kids and if our 100 kids, many of the ones in the chorus we know by sight but not by name. 
    We used plastic name tags for auditions and the first few rehearsals and discovered a great, fast way to take attendance. We collected the name tags and the assistant director put them out in alphabetical order and the kids picked theirs up and the ones that were left were absent. We used the same name tags to identify their costume. 
    This year we plan to make a bulletin board with pockets so they can quickly get their name tags on the way into rehearsal and put them back on the way out.

Mary Todd Kaercher
    Mound MN

• 4.  RE: Taking Rehearsal Attendance

Posted 08-25-2018 10:03
    Last year, I would just open my iPad or computer to a Google Sheet and have students sign in with their ID numbers. Then, once a week, I would go back and convert that to hours, which went into Thespian points as well as the points towards the grade they receive for 5 credits. This ended up requiring a LOT of math, and nobody ever remembered to sign out if they were leaving early (or they padded the time so it looked like they were there longer)

This year, I am using a QR code for sign in/sign out. I will have 5 posted at every rehearsal. Student scans the code and it takes them to a Google Form that asks name, ID, and if they're signing in or out. This will be timestamped, so I will have exact times. I'm assuming there is some kind of formula that I can use to calculate hours for me (I hope...math is not my friend).

Our district uses a similar system for signing in visitors, but it adds the step of taking a picture. This interests me in the "I swear you weren't at rehearsal, but you're signed in. How did that happen?" way.

"There's only us, there's only this: 
    Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. 
    No other path, no other way. No day 
    but today."
    -Jonathan Larson
    "Rent"

Disario, Jodi
    Drama Teacher and Director
    Willow Glen High School
    jdisario@sjusd.org

• 5.  RE: Taking Rehearsal Attendance

Posted 08-26-2018 09:55
    Please tell me more about the QR code. Do you generate a new one for each rehearsal? How do you hook it to a google sheet? This sounds promising as I have kids working at all times of the school day and after school doing various jobs.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 6.  RE: Taking Rehearsal Attendance

Posted 08-27-2018 09:37
    I only have one code. It’s attached to a Google Form, which will continue to populate data for the same code indefinitely.

Once a week, I will export the data into a new spreadsheet and have it tally hours.

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: Taking Rehearsal Attendance

Posted 08-25-2018 08:58
    We use sign in/ sign out attendance sheets during rehearsals as well as production week. In the professional world, actors have to sign in, so this gets students in the habit, which will help them if hey go on in theatre. The sign in sheet has to be posted in the same location for every rehearsal, or the habit does not develop.  No one is allowed to sign anyone else in, and we watch now and then, to make sure they are putting down the correct times (you always get those who are not 100% honest). Students only earn points for dates they sign in on the attendance sheet (we have had some students not sign in), however, the Stage Manager or Assistant Director remind them daily to do so. This attendance sheet is also a help when assessing Thespian points for the actors at the end. As we start warm ups, The SM or AD is on the phone calling those who are not present to find out what is going on. Actors are only allowed 1 unexcused absence and we expect to be notified if someone is home sick.

We use sign in sheets for all tech crews, as well. Student Crew Heads are responsible for getting their crew members to sign in and sign out.  It helps asses how many Thespian points the crew members have earned.  These attendance sheets have to be handed in with the crew members' Thespian points as proof of work at the end of the produciton. 

The sign in/sign out sheets work especially well for the Mandatory Strike as there are often over 50 - 75 students involved. The standing rule for the past 40 years here has been that if you miss strike you lose all your Thespian points for the show. (This was established before I became Director).  Of course a parent signed note excuses students if they have a legit excuse for missing, such as another school event or responsibility (sporting event, concert performance, etc). Happy to say that in the 40 years, only a few students have not shown up for strike. Once word got around that they did indeed lose all their points for the show, no one else missed strike.

I suggest using sign in/sign out sheets, it will make taking attendance so much easier.

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 8.  RE: Taking Rehearsal Attendance

Posted 08-26-2018 10:54
    I've been trying to find a better, more efficient way of taking attendance and keeping up with hours, as well. I have always used sign in sheets to track everyone-actors and tech. But it can be inaccurate and time consuming, so I started researching apps. I found an amazing resource in TimeStation (TimeStation.com). It does everything I want it to do: calculates total time and even allows for a description of the days' tasks. Students can clock in using their phones and have control over being able to "fix" forgotten clock-ins and such, or you can select to only allow certain ones to do it. You can even set it up so they only use a QR code that you can print for each individual and either post on the wall or in a notebook, etc. You can set it up so they use one device or their own device or anyone's device to clock in/out. There is a free trial version with up to 8 members. And I think if you only have 8 - 10 members, maybe it's free? I'm asking my admin to see if I can get them to help pay the $29.99 for 50 members for me. And that is the only drawback. But honestly, if it makes the process smooth and less painful/time consuming/less mathematical, maybe it's worth it?

• 9.  RE: Taking Rehearsal Attendance

Posted 08-27-2018 05:56

Traditionally we post the sign-in sheet on the call board, then the assigned SM or ASM check it and call anyone who is absent without notice. (Typically this is to the parent). It has simply become part of our production culture. Lately, for crew calls, the TD creates a Google sheet that is shared with the student in charge ( SM/ASM/Crew Chief). When crew members arrive, they report directly to that student who marks the sheet using their phone. The only drawback has been disruption caused by tardiness.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message may contain confidential information, including, but not limited to, student personally identifiable information. Such information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please immediately notify me by telephone at (440) 845-2444 to arrange the return of the original document to me. Please also delete the message from your computer.

• 10.  RE: Taking Rehearsal Attendance

Posted 08-25-2018 12:00
    When I'm working on a large production (40+ kids) I break the company down into smaller groups, each one headed by a veteran student who knows how things work in our theatre and is invested in the process. I use colors of the rainbow to identify each group. Students check in each day with their rainbow leader, who lets the stage manager know if there are any absences, issues, etc. The group is also a sort of "home base," and student leaders are charged with helping new participants feel like part of the theatre by answering questions, providing helpful hints, running lines or choreography, etc....but mostly, just being a friendly face and source of accurate and helpful information. Sometimes the groups make up their own handshakes or dance moves, sometimes they bring each other opening night gifts, but at the very least, everyone in the group knows everyone else in the group by name. I keep the groups at about 6-8 students each, and check in with the leaders throughout the rehearsal process to make sure that things are going well.

Meg O'Connor
    oconnormainstage.com

• 11.  RE: Taking Rehearsal Attendance

Posted 08-27-2018 12:07
    We also use a Google Form.  Students can check in on their phones and the SM just reviews the spreadsheet the form populates--- that way, she or he only has to check in or on a limited number of folks.  The spreadsheet also populates a time code.  We use the same form for unexpected conflicts.

We've also been using Remind as a form to communicate, and I have been thinking about switching to BAND as it has more functionality-- like group messaging, etc.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 12.  RE: Taking Rehearsal Attendance

Posted 08-27-2018 16:53
    Last year I did a sign in sheet, where I would have students mark how ready they were for drama. Students would write down a number 1-5 that would mean they are ready or not ready. This helped me check in with students before class. Over time students forgot about checking in and I forgot to check!

This year I'm trying something MUCH quicker and more fun.

I have grouped students randomly into "casts". Students sit with their casts before class. After I think everyone is in class, I call, "CAST LIST", and clap. Then I call, "cast 1" and that group of students respond with a phrase or sound they make up IF everyone is present. If they are missing a student they yell the students name to me by saying, "actor (name)".  It's quick and fun :)

Chana-Lise Wilczynski
    5/6th Grade Drama Teacher
    Lake Forest IL