Open Forum

View Only

BA/BFA in Theatre Education

• 1.  BA/BFA in Theatre Education

Posted 03-05-2021 12:35
    Aloha Everyone!

I'm trying to start a list of excellent college programs for Theatre Education (BA and BFA). If you have thoughts about the schools listed below or would like to add to the list, please let me know!
    UT Austin
    UNC Greensboro
    University of Houston
    Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
    University of Northern Colorado
    Greensboro College
    Cal Poly Pomona
    Central Washington University
    Emerson College
    Santa Clara University

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Rob Duval
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Iolani School

• 2.  RE: BA/BFA in Theatre Education

Posted 03-05-2021 13:36
    What criteria are you using for considering a program excellent?

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 3.  RE: BA/BFA in Theatre Education

Posted 03-05-2021 13:51
    Good question - curriculum, faculty, facilities, outcome. Does the program offer a variety of theatre courses (acting, directing, technical theatre, etc.)? Does the program offer a credential or teaching licensure? Does the program offer enough education courses to prepare for 21st century teaching (social issues, emotional health, etc.)?

Thank you,
    Rob

• 4.  RE: BA/BFA in Theatre Education

Posted 03-05-2021 19:59
    Thanks for your response. From what I've been reading here over the past five years or so, many programs seem to offer little to no training in the technical areas, including design and production, yet many teachers are expected to teach all of it. I would suggest that an "excellent" program would be well-rounded enough to provide teachers with solid training in all the areas they will be expected to teach once they graduate.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 5.  RE: BA/BFA in Theatre Education

Posted 03-06-2021 10:01

It's important that theater ed majors are at a school that's big enough there are professors who truly know how to do things right AND small enough the students can work in every capacity. Here's a trio from Wisconsin that fit that:

Lawrence University in Appleton, WI - liberal arts school with conservatory so they can learn about music direction, a film program, and a business incubator  - lots of flexibility in what you can take. In addition to the formal department productions, student productions are done annually and the "how to produce" side is covered well.. something that gets missed in most places. Broadway touring theater is within walking distance - work opportunity and shadowing experiences are available there, too. 

University of Wisconsin - La Crosse -  Laurie Kincman, who wrote "The Stage Manager's Toolkit" is there, medium sized-department where you are expected to learn it all. Medium sized town, but the campus is fairly compact and easy to navigate.  

University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee - especially for BIPOC students. Ralph (the theater ed advisor) is amazing, wide variety of student teaching experiences are possible and great program both onstage/backstage. City has a lively theater scene with many Equity houses, IATSE work opportunities and plenty of places for internships. 

Kristi Ross-Clausen
    IATSE 470/Actors Equity
    Alliance for Wisconsin Theatre Education
    Stage Managers Association Board
    AVIXA/USITT
    Teacher, Author, Speaker
    Appleton, WI

• 6.  RE: BA/BFA in Theatre Education

Posted 03-06-2021 19:37
      |   view attached
    Rob,
    I run the program at the University of Northern Colorado. We offer an array of courses in every aspect of theatre, with a strong emphasis in directing. We have a credential in theatre education, and work in partnership with the College of Education. We are a K-12 program, and students are able to choose their student teaching grade level(s). Our College of Ed is current and forward thinking concerning 21st century values. See attached for our 4-year plan :)
    Mary

Mary Schuttler
    Head of Theatre Education
    University of Northern Colorado
    Greeley CO

Attachment(s)

• 7.  RE: BA/BFA in Theatre Education

Posted 03-07-2021 08:37
    Add Lipscomb University to your list! Located in the Heart of Nashville, Tennessee, where there are many local Theatre opportunities! Lipscomb offers BA & BFA in Acting, Directing, Tech, Musical Theatre, and Theatre Education. It's small enough for all Theatre majors to be involved from the start, but big enough to have a marvelous reputation in the city, as they team up often with Nashville Rep, Tennesse Performing Arts Center, and Nashville Shakes! Nashville also has the best Children's Theatre in the nation! So now you know; Nashville is way more than just country Music! 😉

Suzanne "Mama" Craig
    MS/HS Theatre/Speech
    Lipscomb Academy
    Nashville, TN
    Suzanne.Craig@Lipscomb.Edu

• 8.  RE: BA/BFA in Theatre Education

Posted 03-08-2021 09:39
    The University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, CO has an excellent theatre education program. If you're looking to add to the list. 

Tami LoSasso

Theatre Educator, Lakewood High School

Senate Sponsor, Lakewood High School

Chapter Director, Colorado State Thespians

303-982-2070

Look What's Coming This Spring!

Guys and Dolls - April, 2021

Unified Theatre Production - TBA

• 9.  RE: BA/BFA in Theatre Education

Posted 03-09-2021 06:25
    Northwestern out side of Chicago. 
    Arizona State University, Tempe.
    University of Texas at Austin.

• 10.  RE: BA/BFA in Theatre Education

Posted 03-08-2021 07:28
    I recommend James Madison University in Harrisonburg, VA. @Joshua Streeter heads up the program there, and I can personally attest to the quality of his professional development offerings and of the student teachers coming from there. I'm not sure what they offer in the way of technical theatre training (though I know my last student teacher took costuming, at least), but their pedagogy training is excellent. It's also a very reasonably priced school, especially for in-state students.​

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator

• 11.  RE: BA/BFA in Theatre Education

Posted 03-09-2021 06:14
    Add George Mason University to that list too.

Jessica Shaw
    Speech and Drama Teacher
    Mount Vernon High School

• 12.  RE: BA/BFA in Theatre Education

Posted 03-10-2021 10:28
    George Mason University
    The Catholic University of America

Also, I'd encourage you watch for use of Real-World Theatre Education, since it covers a lot of essential stuff beyond what's required for licensure, when working in a school setting.

Things like dealing with school politics, paperwork and production problems...divas, drama mamas, fund raising, field trips, senior entitlement, Booster groups, enrollment competition, outside theatre users (renters, etc.).

It moves slowly, from deciding what type of theatre teaching situation you want, to acclimating to a new school's culture, then season by season with what to expect throughout the year. Plus a robust selection of templates to customize.

The link above includes the full Table of Contents. Worth checking out.

In terms of tech, I totally agree with George Leto, above, that preparation in tech theatre becomes drop-dead essential when one becomes the sole drama person at a school. But that really is a weak link for many. 

So (coming in hardback soon, but eBook ready now), I compiled Teaching Tech You Never Learned to get a newbie started, plus a companion Theatre Safety Guide of standards and guidelines.

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://EducationalStages.com
    https://bit.ly/RWTEOview
    https://bit.ly/eTeachTech

• 13.  RE: BA/BFA in Theatre Education

Posted 03-11-2021 08:43
    Hi all, 

Such great responses. I'd like to throw Centre College, Danville KY into the mix. It was recently ranked the best in Kentucky in OnStage Blog's 2021 list of best college theatre programs in every state. I admit that I'm biased as I've been an adjunct there and Centre works closely with our district. The program is a strong and well-balanced theatre program, majors/minors take tech, design and performance classes and there are many opportunities for students to participate in theatre making. They have a study abroad program with Rose Bruford College in Sidcup England, study away in NYC and collaborative study opportunities with the Farm Theater, a program that matches working playwrights with college theatre programs to develop new work. It is a strong theater program within a liberal arts setting. While there is no education degree, there are opportunities for internships that can include education and opportunities to intern with a local school district, Danville Independent Schools.

Jane Dewey
    Director of Arts Education
    Danville Independent Schools
    Danville, KY
    jane.dewey@danville.kyschools.us

• 14.  RE: BA/BFA in Theatre Education

Posted 03-19-2021 11:27
    Western Washington University offers a BA in Theatre, and in order to earn it you have to pick a concentration (like Education, directing, acting, sound design, costume design, etc.) and take upper level classes within that concentration. Their Theatre Education program is excellent (if I do say so myself).

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kamiakin High School