Open Forum

View Only

Musical

• 1.  Musical

Posted 10-22-2019 12:34
    Need some suggestions for a musical that does not require a super complicated set. My students are good in chorus numbers plus 5 good female singers and 2 pretty good male singers. I have about a $6,000 budget for rights, costumes, set, choreographer, etc. Does not need to be a well-known musical. A "diamond in the rough" would be fine too. Thanks for any help. 

--
    Jana Petersdorf
    English/Drama
    Tulare Western High School

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, constitute an electronic communication within the scope of the Electronic Communication Privacy Act (18 USCA § 2510). This communication may contain non-public, confidential, or legally privileged information intended for the sole use of the designated recipient(s). The unlawful interception, use or disclosure of such information is strictly prohibited under 18 USCA § 2511 and any applicable laws. If you are not the intended recipient, or have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail or by telephone and delete any and all electronic and hard copies of this communication, including attachments, without reading them or saving them to disk.

• 2.  RE: Musical

Posted 10-23-2019 05:18
    We did "Working" a couple years back and it was an inexpensive and simple show to stage and costume and the pit can be small.  The kids really enjoyed it too.
    Or maybe "All Shook Up".  It calls for a motorcycle but we borrowed one and adapted it. Again not a hard set or costume show and a lot of fun!
    Hope this helps!
    Linda Urban
    Music Teacher
    Whittier Technical High School
    115 Amesbury Line Rd
    Haverhill MA 01830
    978-373-4101 *297

Please visit us at https://whittiertech.org

• 3.  RE: Musical

Posted 10-23-2019 09:03
    I do not know a lot about this musical, but you might look at The 57th National Mathlete Sum-It.  I believe that TRW (Theatrical Rights Worldwide) has the rights to this show.  I have seen several video clips and have been intrigued.  It has 5 strong female roles, but can also have a good chorus.

--
    Lex Rhoadarmer
    Clearwater High School
    English, Speech, Drama Instructor
    Drama Director, Forensics Coach
    NHS Advisor, Link Crew Sponsor
    Freshman Class Sponsor
    620-584-2361 ext. 6220
    lrhoadarmer@usd264.org

Confidentiality Note: This electronic mail message and any attached documents contain information from USD #264 Clearwater Public Schools and should be considered confidential and privileged. The information contained and/or attached is intended for the individual or entity named in the To:, CC:, and/or BCC: fields. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contained information is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact us immediately at the email in the From: field or the superintendent's email at pbecker@usd264.org and destroy this message.

• 4.  RE: Musical

Posted 10-23-2019 15:30
    Happy to send a comp digital perusal & demo cast recording of 57th National Mathlete Sum-It to any school; comment here or zap an email to licensing@theatricalrights.com  

(Performances tracks are included as well as small combo orch, as are basic digital projections.)

------------------------------
    Michael McDonough
    TRW Asst VP Amateur Licensing
    New York

• 5.  RE: Musical

Posted 10-29-2019 02:47
    #Michael McDonough

I would love a perusal of Mathlete Sum It

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Stadtfamily@juno.com

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: Musical

Posted 10-23-2019 12:10
    We did "Songs for a New World" last year.  Cheap/Simple (as far as sets and costumes) and once the kids got to work...  they loved it.  Also, no scene work, which I thought I would hate (as the acting guy who doesn't do the singing or choreo), but it was super nice! 

Uhm what else???  Good Man Charlie Brown / How to Eat Like a CHild / School House Rocks all fit in this category for me.   (we also did Footloose for less $$$ than that a few years ago - for less than $5000... including everything - that being said we didn't have to pay the pit - HS kids played the show.)

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]

• 7.  RE: Musical

Posted 10-23-2019 12:12
    Hi Jana,

There is a cute musical out there called "Androcles and The Lion,"  It's done in the style of commedia dell'arte, and can be done with or without the musical numbers.  The cast can be augmented with a chorus that will also adjust the set, play other animals, act as part of the set, etc.  It even works great as a children's show that can be done multiple times in a day.  The style allows for inventive improv and all of the schtick and fun of commedia.  Many of the roles can be cast as male of female.

Best,

Mack

--
    Mack Dugger
    Teacher
    Department of Teaching and Learning
    Pacific Avenue Education Center
    440 W. Lomita Ave., Glendale, CA 91204
    "Totus Mundus agit historionem"
    Bravo award winning Teacher
    Kennedy Center Creative Ticket Award
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

• 8.  RE: Musical

Posted 10-23-2019 13:21
    Hey Jana,

Seussical, Schoolhouse Rock Live!, ​Godspell, You're a Good Man Charlie Brown.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 9.  RE: Musical

Posted 10-24-2019 12:08
    How about The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee?

Erik Stein
    Casting Director/Recruitment Coordinator
    PCPA Pacific Conservatory Theatre

Author of No Caution! A step-by-step guide to preparing auditions for Universities, Colleges, Conservatories, and Beyond!

Available on Amazon.com and other online booksellers

• 10.  RE: Musical

Posted 10-24-2019 12:12
    Thanks all! These are some great ideas. "Bee" Doesn't have much of a chorus and I have 34 kids to keep busy. I will check out the others in a bit. Thanks again. 

--
    Jana Petersdorf
    English/Drama

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, constitute an electronic communication within the scope of the Electronic Communication Privacy Act (18 USCA § 2510). This communication may contain non-public, confidential, or legally privileged information intended for the sole use of the designated recipient(s). The unlawful interception, use or disclosure of such information is strictly prohibited under 18 USCA § 2511 and any applicable laws. If you are not the intended recipient, or have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail or by telephone and delete any and all electronic and hard copies of this communication, including attachments, without reading them or saving them to disk.

• 11.  RE: Musical

Posted 10-24-2019 12:30
    I am dying to do Bright Star(TRW), but my band director is hesitant because of the muscians. However, I think there are so many options here. You could do it on a shoestring budget or you could spend a ton! I think the ensemble could be flexible, very well used, and I imagine them being onstage as "listener/storytellers" for the bulk of the show.  Great music, great story, but the orchestration calls for a  banjo, mandolin, an upright bass, and a good fiddler.

Harvey Stone

J. Harvey Stone
    Teacher/Director
    Williamsburg VA

• 12.  RE: Musical

Posted 10-24-2019 13:28
    Unfortunately, I really need a play I can use tracks to produce. Our band/orchestra is not really available to do the show. 

--
    Jana Petersdorf
    English/Drama

• 13.  RE: Musical

Posted 10-25-2019 07:32
    My vote is always Urinetown! I also did The Mystery of Edwin Drood with a very minimal set. It can work for the show since it's a play wiithin-a-play. Several good female roles there, too, especially since Drood is a girl. I'm happy to share pictures from either of these shows. You may also want to consider Sing Down The Moon or Perseus Bayou, which are quality musicals that are much cheaper to produce (Dramatic Publishing) and have lots of fun, imaginative storytelling opportunities.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 14.  RE: Musical

Posted 10-28-2019 17:13
    #JanaPetersdorf

I did these titles under $6000:

You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown
    Godspell
    Annie Get Your Gun