Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Anything goes!

Posted 08-16-2014 14:29
    Which version has worked better for you, the '87 Beaumont version or the '62 revival version? Are they different mostly in plot, character ,or song changes? Thx for the help. ------------------------------------------- Jeanette Arvay Beck Columbia SC -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Anything goes!

Posted 08-17-2014 07:49
    I did both and preferred the Beaumont version. BV dropped Take Me Back to Manhattan, Let's Step Out, and Heaven Hop. It added several other Porter Songs. Bonnie is now Irma, a much more interesting role with a chance for some great comedy with Moon and Billie! Enjoy! This is one of my favorite shows. ------------------------------------------- Michael Stofko Teacher Wilkes Barre PA -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Anything goes!

Posted 08-17-2014 10:16
    After doing a comparison, we used the Beaumont. The script is much more up-to-date, in terms of language and idioms, but still has a feeling of the original Cole Porter. The '62 revival felt stilted. There were some minor changes in the plot. The Beaumont version added songs from other Porter musicals. But the arrangements for the Beaumont had a swing feel to it that moved the show along without sacrificing any of the big numbers. We very much played it as an homage to old-style musical. (The rehearsal after the read-through, we showed them the film "Singin' In The Rain", which was very much in keeping with what we wanted to do with "Anything Goes".) Michael Bergman Teacher/Director Alexandria VA -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Anything goes!

Posted 08-17-2014 12:30
    We did the Beaumont Version back in 1996 but I can't tell you how it is different from the 62 version other than to say it is different. I liked the Beaumont version and my students had a good time working on it. ------------------------------------------- Mark A Zimmerman Theatre Director Akron School for the Arts Akron Public Schools -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Anything goes!

Posted 08-17-2014 23:44
    I love the '62 version. I love the music, the characters, the order of songs, the comedy. I think it is wonderful. I have directed the show twice at two different schools and selected the '62 both times. One of my all time favorite musicals.

-------------------------------------------
    John Rutherford
    Rochester Hills MI

• 6.  RE: Anything goes!

Posted 08-18-2014 07:35
    I just did the show this past season and choose the '62 version because I like the Bonnie character better than the change to Irma. Bonnie gets to sing Heaven Hop and there is more opportunity for her role to dance/sing. I also preferred the relationship between Reno and Billy in this version. Have fun--it is a great show! ------------------------------------------- Kathy Cannarozzi-Harris Chairperson Of Visual And Performing Arts Laguna Hills CA -------------------------------------------

• 7.  RE: Anything goes!

Posted 08-19-2014 08:35
    '62 is the way to go (I've done it twice.)  I have seen the '87 a number of times and just don't care for the changes.
    Break a leg! (or an Angel wing!)

[William] [Myatt] [Drama Director]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 8.  RE: Anything goes!

Posted 08-20-2014 14:15
    If you have purists in your audience - not all that common for high-school theatre, admittedly, but it does happen - the Beaumont version is much closer than the 1962 off-Broadway version to the original 1934 text.  (One of the adapters of the Beaumont version was the son of one of the original authors, which probably explains that.)

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 9.  RE: Anything goes!

Posted 08-21-2014 13:03
    We did the original version and I loved Heaven Hop! My musical director really pushed for this version and it was a big success for us.

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA