Open Forum

View Only

Spring play help

• 1.  Spring play help

Posted 11-15-2018 16:20
    Hi, I know this subject has been discussed many times but I still need help.  I am looking for our spring play... trouble is I have 10-12 seniors who have been in every production since they were sophomores and are all very good actors.  They are extremely dedicated to Theatre and supportive to each other.  I'd like to find a play that has equal roles so they all get time to shine.  Any ideas???
    Thanks a bunch!

• 2.  RE: Spring play help

Posted 11-16-2018 07:03
    I am currently doing Radium Girls and there are 12+ leads and supporting leads (males and females). Plus you can double roles as done in the original production. I have a large department so I added ensemble members and have a cast of 45. It's an amazing show with challenging characters for young actors. One of my favorite directing experiences to date.

------------------------------
    Laura Russo
    Teacher/Director of Theatre Arts
    School District of The Chathams
    Chatham NJ

• 3.  RE: Spring play help

Posted 11-17-2018 05:52
    I'll be doing Radium Girls this March....how did you integrate the extra ensemble?  I wouldn't mind adding a few more characters depending on how many we get at auditions.

Lynda Gibson
    Director
    Troupe 2829
    Flushing High School
    Junior Troupe 88305
    Flushing Middle School

• 4.  RE: Spring play help

Posted 11-18-2018 18:58

It was our spring show last year. We used extra girls on the factory floor and as townspeople. Loved this show!! Such great roles for actors.

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    782-5136

"You've got to paint the picture and then walk into it. And if you ever find you can't paint the picture, just don't walk."

• 5.  RE: Spring play help

Posted 11-19-2018 15:33
    THE TRIANGLE FACTORY FIRE PROJECT. About 47 characters, many with accents, and can easily be mounted with the group you have described. It's a challenge and can be staged really creatively with minimal costumes and almost no propl...but it is a very heavy drama.

Nancy Bernhard (retired)
    Salinas High School
    Salinas, CA

• 6.  RE: Spring play help

Posted 11-16-2018 08:08
    Do you have a mixed gender group? Or what is the balance of male/female?

--
    Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater & Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    413-395-7023

• 7.  RE: Spring play help

Posted 11-16-2018 08:57
    Mixed pretty evenly.

---------------------------------
    Karin Neal
    Forensics Coach and Theatre Director
    Trinity Catholic Jr. Sr. High School
    Hutchinson KS
    ---------------------------------

• 8.  RE: Spring play help

Posted 11-16-2018 09:24
    Almost, Maine.

Rebecca Black
    Teacher/Director
    Wayland MI

• 9.  RE: Spring play help

Posted 11-16-2018 10:05
    We had a wonderful time with
    https://www.dramaticpublishing.com/crush

Stephen Gregg's Crush. Lots of parts. It calls for minimal sets and serious make up and sound effects. I call it "an alien invasion rom-com homage to Our Town."

It was published in full in Dramatics not too long ago.

Nathan Rosen
    Baltimore MD

• 10.  RE: Spring play help

Posted 11-16-2018 11:46
    How many people total?  If it's just them then I'd say 12 ANGRY JURORS.

Jason Peck
    Co-Artistic Director
    A New Theatrical Experience

• 11.  RE: Spring play help

Posted 11-16-2018 11:53
    I highly recommend A.R. Gurney's wonderful "The Dining Room." I've done it twice with my students. Originally written for an ensemble of six (3m3f), the eighteen vignettes can be cast any way you want. In both productions I featured my "veteran" actors in more challenging roles, and cast up-and-comers in some of the smaller roles. I used a total of 12 or 14 in each production.
       If you decide on this great play for actors (and directors!), please contact me here as to how I cast it to be sure to give actors a chance to play all ages as Gurney intends.

Roger Paolini
    Buffalo, NY

• 12.  RE: Spring play help

Posted 11-16-2018 12:24
    Consider an ensemble show like Peter and the Starcatcher. There are leads, but it requires tour de force performances from the entire ensemble. 

Shakespeare's As You Like It and Twelfth Night have a lot of great rolls. Both are comedies.  

Arthur Miller's The Crucible has a lot of wonderful rolls.

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 13.  RE: Spring play help

Posted 11-16-2018 13:07

This has been my challenge to.  How do you end a successful run with a GROUP of talented actors.  I love shows like ALMOST, MAINE (smart and funny writing), along with the stage adaptation of Robert Fulghum's ALL I NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN (https://www.dramaticpublishing.com/all-i-really-need-to-know-i-learned-in-kindergarten)  It has some great final moments for an ensemble at the end of their journey.  We ended the show with a slide show and music featuring pics of our cast and crew from kindergarten.  

We also ended another similar year with Bradley Hayward's SELFIE.  (Selfie by Bradley Hayward | Playscripts Inc.)  Another AWESOME and emotional end to the theater season for 12th graders, featuring 8-16 of your actors.  

Hope this helps. 

James McCulloch
    Drama Director of Mariner Drama
    Marine City, Michigan
    jmcculloch@ecsd.us

• 14.  RE: Spring play help

Posted 11-17-2018 06:05
    I paired two one-acts last year for our winter play.

Ghost Hunt. A group of high school students <g class="gr_ gr_316 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="316" data-gr-id="316">go</g> on a ghost hunt in an abandoned mansion.
    Ghost Hunt
    Murder by Indecision.  Funny take on an Agatha Christy type character writing her last mystery book. 
    Murder by Indecision

I had enough students that I was able to cast each show separately. Made rehearsals much more flexible for a few students who always wanted to do a play but had a sports conflict one or two nights a week since I could alternate rehearsals.  Was also able to use one set for each show.  Just covered the furniture with sheets and removed most of the set dressings for Ghost Hunt as "act 1" and then used intermission to add set dressings back in.

Picture of set

Picture of set

Lynda Gibson
    Director
    Troupe 2829
    Flushing High School
    Junior Troupe 88305
    Flushing Middle School

• 15.  RE: Spring play help

Posted 11-29-2018 10:21
    I have the same issue this year and thought I would do an ensemble piece. I looked at 210 shows & landed on “Mirror Image” from Pioneer. It has 4 leads, & 6 Supporting & 7 Feature Roles for the kids who are good besides the Seniors plus many more characters & doubling in Reality & Fairy Tale so lots of stage time for everyone. I have 8 graduating this year & 5 that will probably rank higher at auditions next week.

Maria Stadtmueller
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone