Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Middle School - 10 Minute Plays?

Posted 10-12-2021 21:33
    Hi all - I am in the process of planning our 7th and 8th grade showcase for the year. I am interested in having them perform various 10 minute plays. 

Do you have suggestions for middle school appropriate? Any favorites? 

Someone shared to check out the play Parents Just Don't Understand. I am going to order perusal but still want to be open minded.

------------------------------
    Alexis Jenofsky
    Ms.

• 2.  RE: Middle School - 10 Minute Plays?

Posted 10-13-2021 09:55

I did a 10 minute play unit in 7th/8th for a while and loved it.  I found the collections from Actor's Theatre of Louisville and the Guthrie to be useful.  Most of those pieces aren't going to work for MS, but there are a ton of them and when you do find one that works, it's often really challenging and interesting. 

Rob Kimbro

Head of Fine Arts

713.468.8211, ext. 3191

This message originates from Duchesne Academy and may contain confidential information intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please delete this message from your system and please notify the originator of the message. Any unauthorized reading, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.

• 3.  RE: Middle School - 10 Minute Plays?

Posted 10-13-2021 15:10
    If you have a purchasing budget, you could have the students look online and select their own. Publishing houses like Brooklyn and Heuer have TONS of ten minute pieces, with online perusals that often contain most of the script, so you can pre-vet before ordering. Not too expensive, and then you get the scripts to add to your library.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher, Thespian Society/Drama Club sponsor
    Winfield City Schools
    Winfield, AL

• 4.  RE: Middle School - 10 Minute Plays?

Posted 10-19-2021 13:23
    Lots of plays under Brooklyn and heuer, all good for schools.    Leon Kaye.

Leon Kaye
    Playwright for the Ages
    Lhk@koa1.com

• 5.  RE: Middle School - 10 Minute Plays?

Posted 10-13-2021 15:31
    I'm working on the Playscripts collection A Simpler Time right now with middle schoolers, and they love them! There is a free perusal online, and you can just purchase the individual plays you want.

Laura

Laura Butchy
    BASIS Independent McLean
    VA

• 6.  RE: Middle School - 10 Minute Plays?

Posted 10-14-2021 13:56
    We did an evening of ten-minute plays at our HS last fall.  Good experience with lots of variety for kids.  One of the shows was student-directed.  The downside of the way we did it was getting contracts and paying for each show individually.   Shows I'd recommend for middle school--Norm-Anon by Warren Leight and The Scary Question by Wayne Rawley.

Laurie Nebeker
    Eden Prairie High School
    Eden Prairie, MN

• 7.  RE: Middle School - 10 Minute Plays?

Posted 10-15-2021 08:31
    My group staged "The dining room" by A.R. Gurney which is a play consisting of completely separate scenes played by 2-5 people centered around, you guessed it, a dining room. It's quite fun.

Paula Gor

• 8.  RE: Middle School - 10 Minute Plays?

Posted 10-16-2021 05:30
    You might want to check out www.teacherpayteachers.com

There are many teacher-authors on this site and some offer short scripts for only a few dollars without any royalties.
    I've also used Check Please by Jonathan Rand.  Each scene is of varying length, probably not quite 10 minutes and centers around two people on various blind dates at a restaurant.  Each date is rather silly (and appropriate for middle school).

Jeana Whitaker
    Retired Theatre Teacher
    EdTA Alumni
    www.jeanawhitaker.com

• 9.  RE: Middle School - 10 Minute Plays?

Posted 10-16-2021 19:17
    Thank you everyone!

Alexis Jenofsky
    Ms.