Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Get Smart 'exploding' balls of hardened steel special effect

Posted 10-24-2015 10:21

I'm hoping that among EDTAs vast collective experience someone might have a recommendation for the special effect for the play Get Smart.  My students have not been successful and we go into tech week on Monday.

The script mentions flashes. Any ideas?

Tisha

• 2.  RE:Get Smart 'exploding' balls of hardened steel special effect

Posted 10-24-2015 20:20

I haven't done Get Smart, but you might want to consider paintballs with crushed sparklers inside. In this, a small ball is thrown to the ground and gives off a pop and flash upon impact. The MythBusters created such paintballs in the 2005 season, Special 6, "Hollywood on Trial." However, since they are fireworks/explosives, you may have some trouble clearing them with your administration.

Hope this helps!

Amy

---------------------------------
    Amy Ariel
    Troupe 4250 - Honor Thespian & Presidential Scholar
    Mills E. Godwin High School
    Henrico, VA

• 3.  RE: Get Smart 'exploding' balls of hardened steel special effect

Posted 10-25-2015 09:28

We did Get Smart last year - I found a string of lights with large red bulbs at Target. We wrapped the bulbs in silver metallic fabric and plugged them into an extension cord with a dimmer switch. The bulbs were slowly turned up & the stage lights first to red & then down when the inthermo was activated along with laser sound effects. After around 10 seconds or so, the bulbs & sound were cut and when the stage lights came back on the bulbs had been pulled through a hole in the table - showing that they had been incinerated.

------------------------------
    Melissa Purdy
    Westminster High School
    Westminster MD

• 4.  RE: Get Smart 'exploding' balls of hardened steel special effect

Posted 10-25-2015 09:33

Since the script calls for a table that one of the agents can hide under, we let that double as our lab table and put a drape over it. We placed three small holes in the top of the table and used silver balloons as the exploding balls. We put someone under the table with a pair of scissors. When it was time for the laser to explode the ball, the kid under the table would snip the balloon and it would "melt". 

------------------------------
    Dawn Tucker
    Jonesboro AR

• 5.  RE:Get Smart 'exploding' balls of hardened steel special effect

Posted 10-25-2015 11:52
    We simply brought the lights up full, then to a blackout with a student hiding under the table. When the lights went dark we had the student bring the steel under the table and when the lights went back up it, was gone. One other possibility would be to have a hole in your table that the student is hiding under, then they could simply lower it into the table, making it seem like it was melting.

Alan Strait
    Teacher
    CCSD
    Henderson NV