Open Forum

View Only

Looking for simple, scaled-down Musical for small high school

• 1.  Looking for simple, scaled-down Musical for small high school

Posted 10-11-2016 14:34
    Hi everyone,

I'm in my second year at a small private high school (130 students) where I've been rebuilding the theatre program. Last year, we produced Fools to great success with a simple set and lighting. This year, I'm producing 12 Angry Jurors in the fall and am looking for an accessible, easy-to-produce musical for the Spring. I don't think we're ready for much elaborate choreography or large choral numbers, so I'm looking for a show that still feels big but doesn't require large resources or technical means to pull off. We'll also be relying on recorded tracks or simple accompaniment for the music. I'm looking very seriously at Working (2012), Godspell (perhaps Jr. version) or The Spitfire Grill. Any insight into those shows or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks! 

David Sturdevant
    Middleburg, VA

• 2.  RE: Looking for simple, scaled-down Musical for small high school

Posted 10-12-2016 08:13

Pumpboys and Dinettes is a great small cast musical that takes place in a diner and a gas station. Really fun music.  My kids loved doing this show!

------------------------------
    Terry McGonigle
    Director of Theatre
    Alma AR

• 3.  RE: Looking for simple, scaled-down Musical for small high school

Posted 10-12-2016 10:17
    I really enjoyed directing "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" it is a feel good show and completely safe if you have a community that is offended easily. It will be one of the shows that is talked about for a long time and we did Anything Goes and other popular hits in the past, but this one seemed to really resonate well with all audiences... Even though it is not a well known musical  it was advertised with Neil Sedaka's greatest hits, so it really brought in a large audience. I really think this show will take off in the future because it was such a crowd pleaser. I added a show choir for the more upbeat songs and to allow more students to be involved in any number I felt I could, but it isn't necessary I just wanted to add roles since I always have such a big turn out at tryouts.

Samantha Roop, Ed.S.
    DHS Theatre Department 
    ITS Troupe Director #5087 
    Play & Musical Director

"The mission of the De Soto 73 School District is to ensure learning, growth, and success for all students in a safe environment."

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown. This e-mail transmission may contain confidential, proprietary or privileged information and may be subject to protection under the law, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and/or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). This information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to who it is intended even if addressed incorrectly.

• 4.  RE: Looking for simple, scaled-down Musical for small high school

Posted 10-13-2016 11:33

Hi David,

If you (or anyone else) would like a complimentary perusal script for BREAKING UP IS HARD TO DO, send me an email, jimh@theatricalrights.com. As Samantha mentioned, it is a flexible, fun musical with a small cast that can easily add a small chorus/ensemble. Breaking Up Is Hard to Do - Theatrical Rights Worldwide online

Theatrical Rights Worldwide online remove preview
    Breaking Up Is Hard to Do - Theatrical Rights Worldwide online
    Breaking Up Is Hard To Do is the sweetly comic story of two friends with a score showcases 18 Neil Sedaka classics, including the chart-topping title song.
    View this on Theatrical Rights Worldwide online >
    Jim Hoare
    Vice President, Education & Community Initiatives
    TRW
    New York NY

• 5.  RE: Looking for simple, scaled-down Musical for small high school

Posted 10-12-2016 10:32

"You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" works well for a small group. You can pad with extras if you want.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 6.  RE: Looking for simple, scaled-down Musical for small high school

Posted 10-13-2016 06:20
    I loved Working when I did it, for it allowed parts for non-singers and was easy to rehearse vignettes separately. Our set was simply a painted Working sign, the letters made out of human bodies, a few chairs and tables. Big hit! Our only issue was Cleaning Women, where I had no African American actresses, but an Irish American with the perfect voice. We justified the casting by researching Irish servants. It worked fine.

Sent from my iPad

• 7.  RE: Looking for simple, scaled-down Musical for small high school

Posted 10-12-2016 10:45

Jam Jar Sonnets is wonderful. I have directed it twice. Both casts love it. $350 gets you everything you need including accompaniment CD. You get to keep all librettos and scores. Don't be scared by YouTube video which shows a huge set. I didn't it very very simplified. If you want to see pictures of both productions let me know.

https://www.playscripts.com/play/2244#searchterm=Jam%20

Daniel Barrett
    Theater Director
    Faith West Academy
    Katy, TX

• 8.  RE: Looking for simple, scaled-down Musical for small high school

Posted 10-12-2016 11:31

I hear ya! In 2007/2008 I was at a private school with about the same enrollment and started the Theatre program. We did the opposite of what you're doing - started with a spring musical and added a fall play a few years later. 

Our 1st musical was OZ! by Tim Kelly, available at Pioneer Drama. The story is the same and the songs incredibly catchy! 

The perfect resource for us was MTI's Jr musicals which are scaled down versions of large musicals. For about $600 you get the student books, director's book, & music tracks. They have many other resources available. 

I would  highly recommend HONK! Dear Edwina, Seussical - none is these require extensive sets. HONK takes place in a farm w/a pond, Edwina takes place in a front yard. Dear Edwina is really adorable and often overlooked. Keep in mind that you can do almost any musical you want - you just have to be creative with sets. I used many two-sided sets that opened up. 

Starting from scratch can be scary. I'd be happy to visit with you via email, text or phone. cosand48@gmail.com 

I'd love to hear what show you settle on. Good luck! 

Connie Sandoz
    Waxahachie, TX
    Retired Theatre Director
    Henderson, NV

• 9.  RE: Looking for simple, scaled-down Musical for small high school

Posted 10-12-2016 14:40

I see you mentioned doing Godspell which is a wonderful "small" musical with a cast of 12. When we did it, we collaborated with our Choir teacher and had them sing along with many of the numbers and though we had three-four large dance numbers, you can handle it pretty much any way you want.  We had our Chamber Chorale (advanced choir) sing "Prologue" (which is usually cut), "All Good Gifts" and "On the Willow".  The choir was an expanded ensemble singing with the Players, etc. That said, Godspell done with just the 12 is powerful and very simple in terms of tech design.  

Carol Hovey
    Livermore CA

• 10.  RE: Looking for simple, scaled-down Musical for small high school

Posted 10-13-2016 06:36

We did Spitfire Grill. I will say it's a wonderful show, but the music is very challenging. Great character work for the kids both with the lines and within the songs. If you have a vocal director, Or you have the abilities, I'd say go for it, if not, it may be a challenge.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 11.  RE: Looking for simple, scaled-down Musical for small high school

Posted 10-14-2016 09:42

I highly recommend the Jr MTI shows.  You can do a big name show that will attract good crowds and get your kids excited without as much of the hassle of a full scale musical.  They come with accompaniment cd's and even help with choreography, logos, and scripts that the kids can keep.  We are currently doing Elf, Jr., and we had a ton of success a couple of years ago with Legally Blonde, Jr.  The sets for that can be very simple, and since the costumes are contemporary, most items can be brought by the kids from home.

Alicia Henning
    NBCT
    Drama Teacher and Director
    Paul Laurence Dunbar High School
    Lexington, KY

• 12.  RE: Looking for simple, scaled-down Musical for small high school

Posted 10-14-2016 10:29

Have you considered The Fantasticks? I has eight characters, one of which does not speak and two do not sing. It has extremely simple set and easy attainable costumes. The only difficulty is that it requires and exceptional pianist. It can be done successfully with pianist only, but has a charming combo score. 

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 13.  RE: Looking for simple, scaled-down Musical for small high school

Posted 10-15-2016 22:24

I *love* this fun version of Cinderella.  I'm just waiting for the right time to produce it.

http://sproutschildrenstheatre.com/cinderella.htm

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 14.  RE: Looking for simple, scaled-down Musical for small high school

Posted 10-16-2016 13:26

David,

Take me a look at my "DO YOU WANNA DANCE", with MTI.  It's designed exactly for your situation and is a blast for kids to perform. There's a free perusal deal happening for the musical thru Nov 15th.  Music Theatre International

or www.jukeboxshows.com

Mark Brymer
    Principle
    Jukebox Musicals LLC
    Dallas TX