Open Forum

View Only

Almost, Maine Beer Cans

• 1.  Almost, Maine Beer Cans

Posted 03-14-2018 10:32
    As my last play before I retire, we are producing Almost, Maine. In the act "They Fell" it calls for beer cans being opened and beer drank. I can use canned water but how do I make them look like Natural Light Beer? How do I wrap a new label around the can?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 2.  RE: Almost, Maine Beer Cans

Posted 03-14-2018 10:55
    We did this for a class production, I used regular beer cans that I thoroughly washed multiple times and added water into it.  The cans were locked up in our gun safe every night just so no one was suspicious of possible bad things, and the teachers were all informed that it was being used as a prop.  The students then acted as if they were opening them.  

There is also a Sams Cola brand that looks VERY MUCH like a Natty Light can - my one kid keeps drinking this at lunch and I always panic for a moment so that could be an option as well!

Kimberly Wibbenmeyer
    Sullivan MO

• 3.  RE: Almost, Maine Beer Cans

Posted 03-14-2018 13:05
    ​Wrapping and work. Especially if you have someone that has a cricut. How far is your audience from the actors?

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 4.  RE: Almost, Maine Beer Cans

Posted 03-15-2018 06:06
    John, 

I live in New England and can get you Natty light cans.  (It is super cheap.)  I would be happy to send you some.  I'll send an email to the address in your profile.

Chris

Christopher Sheldon
    Performing Arts Teacher
    Bancroft School
    Worcester MA

• 5.  RE: Almost, Maine Beer Cans

Posted 03-15-2018 06:14
    Does the script specify that the characters open cans onstage?  I used empty beer cans that a parent had washed and brought in.  There were a couple of empties on the ground from the beginning of the scene, to indicate that the guys had been drinking for a while, and each one had a can in his hand to drink from during the scene.  We didn't have any business of actually opening a can.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 6.  RE: Almost, Maine Beer Cans

Posted 03-15-2018 12:17
    I saw a similar question a few months ago that had some great tips for this.  I'm hoping to do Almost, Maine within the next couple of years.  Cheers!  Heres the link:  Open Forum

Derek Friederich
    Thespian Troupe 417/Speech Coach/Jr. High Drama/Fine Arts Center Technical Director
    Postville IA

• 7.  RE: Almost, Maine Beer Cans

Posted 03-15-2018 12:39
    We just used Ginger Beer for our productions. We didn't bother trying to make it look like Natty Light. :)

Jamie Scherer
    Teacher
    Dayton NV

• 8.  RE: Almost, Maine Beer Cans

Posted 03-16-2018 07:36
    I just noticed in rehearsal that the dialogue never mentions Nattie Light, it's just mentioned in the stage directions.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 9.  RE: Almost, Maine Beer Cans

Posted 03-18-2018 20:36
    I found a picture of the Natural Light label online, I sized it to fit a soda can and we glued it in place.  This way, the actors could pop the can and drink.  We performed in our black box and it looked perfectly fine.

Love this show!

Break legs!

Carolyn Cork Greer
    Kentucky Thespians
    Owensboro KY

• 10.  RE: Almost, Maine Beer Cans

Posted 03-21-2018 10:13
    We did the same as Carolyn for our production.  The Natural Light cans we could find have a new "modern" design which we didn't like, so we printed out the traditional label design from an online image, sized it, and taped it onto cans of sparkling water.

Michelle Ludwig
    Director of Drama
    Kinkaid School
    Houston TX

• 11.  RE: Almost, Maine Beer Cans

Posted 04-22-2018 21:39
    We used camouflage coozies on soda cans.  The camo was about as hokey as we could get, and blue Pepsi cans look just like bud light cans when peeking out from the coozie.  I wasn't worried about natty light as a bud light lookalike was just as effective.

K Lang
    Ticonderoga NY

• 12.  RE: Almost, Maine Beer Cans

Posted 04-23-2018 22:23
    The script doesn't mention that the beer is Nattie Light. So I just bought some Bud Lite, and poked a hole in the bottom to drain out all the beer. Then the actors had the fun of popping the top and then it did look like they were drinking when they pretended to drink. LOVE this show!

Arden Thomas
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA