Open Forum

View Only

Peter And The Starcatcher

• 1.  Peter And The Starcatcher

Posted 09-11-2016 21:00

Hello All!

I am directing Peter and have limited time to do it justice. I love this kind of style/devised theater feel and am looking forward to our second rehearsal tomorrow.  Has anyone done this one before? I am specifically wondering how many actors were used for each scene/grouping. Also, I would love to hear any creative ideas for creating Mr. Grin, the bird, Tinkerbell, cat, etc. I thought I would go for a puppet type of thing.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Peter And The Starcatcher

Posted 09-11-2016 22:02
    Hello Jennifer,

We are in the final 2 weeks of rehearsals for this show and I'm happy to share some ideas with you.
    We've seen the show performed 3 times by 3 separate companies.  The first was off-Broadway featuring many of the original cast members--it was absolutely brilliant and the reason we wanted to try our hand at it.

The second time we saw the touring cast in Huntsville, Alabama--brilliant in a different way, but still true to the original storyteller/device style intended by Rick Elice.

The third iteration of this show we attended was...a debacle.  Rather than bash this company, I will say that this play cannot be performed like a musical or like a straight play.  It's something else entirely.

I would stick with the 12 actors listed and honor the doublings mentioned in the front material of the libretto.  The bird-bell thing can be accomplished with a yellow kitchen glove given to various actors who "fly it" across stage; although they never move, but the bird-bell thing does because you've given out 6 gloves.  

Mr. Grin is best accomplished using two large red plastic bowls, two keychain LED lights, and a 25ft. or longer streamer of white pennants for the mouth.

Lighting is also key in this play; mostly cowboy lighting (waist up) and never a full stage wash!  It disrupts the illusion encouraged by the playing of the actors.  Keep in mind too that the company takes the stage at the opening to lay the ground work for how you're going to engage the audience--it's written that way on purpose. They all already know they're going to be the future Lost Boys, Pan, Hook, and Smee so it's important that the audience be given the breadcrumbs necessary to trace that back from the end.

There are other elements we're incorporating into our stab at this which I'd love to share with you privately.  You can email me directly at theatreartsteach@gmail.com

Keep in mind, we open in 2 weeks and our rehearsals run until 9pm so I may not respond right away.
    Best of luck in your endeavors,
    Aaron

--
    A. W. Miller
    Theatre Arts Director
    I.T.S. Troupe #1523 Director

Private Acting Lessons from Dramedy Acting

All Things Zombie: Original T-Shirts, Games, Movies, and More!

Read: The Sad Man by A. W. Miller

• 3.  RE: Peter And The Starcatcher

Posted 09-12-2016 06:34
    If I remember correctly, I am pretty sure that they used something like a laser pointer for tinker bell in off Broadway cast.

So glad that you are doing this. I adore this show. It is just magical and, when done in its minimalistic sort of way, is everything I love about theatre.

Sent from my iPad

• 4.  RE: Peter And The Starcatcher

Posted 09-12-2016 07:15

Is anyone casting women in the roles?

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 5.  RE: Peter And The Starcatcher

Posted 09-12-2016 08:03

I wanted to cast 11 boys and 1 girl, but I only got 9 boys that could be in the show. We cast Captain Robert Falcon Scott and Mrs. Bumbrake as girls. They both did a great job, but if I had the choice, I would use 11 boys and one girl. There is a reason it was successful this way, and the writers talk about it in the script. 

And I would definitely suggest keeping the cast at 12 people. It is easy to add other people to the story, but it is written for 12.

David Tate Hastings
    Kansas Thespians
    Co-Chapter Director
    thespis@kansasthespians.com
    913-481-1868

• 6.  RE: Peter And The Starcatcher

Posted 09-12-2016 11:20

John,

We are an all-girls school so all roles will be played by women.

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 7.  RE: Peter And The Starcatcher

Posted 09-13-2016 18:43

I am considering doing this show next Spring. I was in contact with MTI about casting. I plan to cast a girl as Mrs. Bumbrake I also thought about casting girls as the mermaids and costume them with facial hair since they are transitioning from men to mermaids. Other girls would be costumed as boys and natives. MTI was fine with this as long as I did not change pronouns in the script.

Michael Stofko
    Teacher
    Wilkes Barre PA

• 8.  RE: Peter And The Starcatcher

Posted 09-12-2016 07:58

We just closed this show on Saturday. It was so much fun, but it was the most difficult play I have ever directed. 

Simply to answer your questions, we stole one thing, and that was the look of Mr. Grin. It was two roped with white flags to make the top and bottom of the mouth with teach, and we used to red eyes. We found old round trays or decorative pieces and painted them red. We cut the teeth out of printer paper and taped them to a couple of pieces of rope. I liked the image from the Broadway production. But our Mr. Grin wasn't quite right.

And that is why I am responding. I really liked the rest of our show, but it was a leap of faith. I deliberately decided to ignore the original production. I have a great book/script from Broadway that has lots of pictures. I didn't open it once.

Instead, we read the script and discussed the meaning of the play, the connections to Peter Pan, and the style of the Broadway show. That took a few hours. Then I sent the kids to our props/set storage/costume room. They brought anything that could be useful. Anything that was too real or too modern we didn't use. It was boxes, canes, a small broom, a couple of ropes, a few parasols, a barrel, some broken crates, old suitcases, a walking stick, etc. I then had the kids figure out their original position on stage. 

After that ...  we started blocking. I didn't have anything written down. We just used what we had to tell the story. I still had to make two trunks "indentical in their trunkness," a kitchen timer, find a laser pointer (tink -  but I think I would do it differently), and a british flag.

It was so scary to tell the story with our found items, but it worked SO well. I had no idea what was going to happen. We would get to something challenging, like the cat, and I wouldn't know what to do. But I would look around the set, and I would see a cast member to use or one of the items the kids had found. It was just right. I constantly had to fight the urge to buy things. Two weekends ago, I went to the Renaissance Festival. There were so many great things I could have bought: clothes, swords, etc. But I kept resisting. Peter and the Starcatcher is more about the troupe of actors telling the story. They can find and producing anything you need with their creativity ... and yours.

My kids thought I was crazy. Blocking took forever. But once we rehearsed it this way, the kids knew how to solve any problems. Like this one:

We made Black Stache's hand out of masking tape. It is a project you can find on the internet. One night of the show, the trunk he was supposed to open to cut off his hand was locked. The cast had left the key off stage at intermission. All 12 cast members were onstage. There was no way to get the key to them. The trunk was clearly locked so they couldn't cut off his hand ... and Stache couldn't even look in the trunk to see if it was empty. He grabbed a staff and used it to pretend it was the lid of the trunk. It worked great. He slammed the staff on the trunk like it was being closed, and the scene went on ... "sans" hand. But then the real challenge came. Smee couldn't retrieve his fake hand. The actor playing Fighting Prawn, put his own hand on the floor behind the trunk. He tapped Smee and pointed to it. Smee picked it up and continued the scene holding "Stache's hand," which was actually the actor playing Frighting Prawn. It was hysterical. And it was right in line with the structure we had rehearsed. After that performance, we kept the hand bit. But we made sure the trunk never locked again.

So .... I don't think you need all the answers. Let the kids find them. It will be funnier. And ultimately, I think it makes the acting more honest.  

David Tate Hastings
    Kansas Thespians
    Co-Chapter Director
    thespis@kansasthespians.com
    913-481-1868

• 9.  RE: Peter And The Starcatcher

Posted 09-12-2016 08:39

Fun! I'm directing this show as well. We have auditions today and tomorrow. For Grin and the bird, we are planning to stick with what they did on Broadway as our foundation. It was simple; yet innovative. Pennant flags held by actors with a lighting effect for the eyes for Mr. Grin, and an actor flapping a yellow rubber glove.

There is a huge annotated book with photos and the script available through Amazon just to get ideas.

A-men

A-men Rasheed
    Director of Theater
    Westminster School
    Simsbury CT

• 10.  RE: Peter And The Starcatcher

Posted 09-12-2016 09:04
    Play with toys! Have your students play with toys and simple materials. They will come up with incredible solutions. (If you can spare a rehearsal to do this, do it. It will pay off in the end, as all your rehearsals will become lighter and capture the spirit of the play)

You can definitely cast more people- just be careful in staging. Have fun! 

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

• 11.  RE: Peter And The Starcatcher

Posted 09-13-2016 10:04

How many actors did everyone use for this? I wasn't planning more than 20 (12 speaking and the rest for movement) but now I'm wondering if even that is too many. Thoughts

Christina Kemmerer
    Brooklandville MD