Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cutting of Henry V

Posted 11-22-2015 22:01

My students are dying to do Henry V in the spring. I was just wondering if anyone out there has a good cutting of the script, otherwise, I know how I am spending my Christmas break...

------------------------------
    Lisa Davidson Hines
    Drama Teacher 2nd-12th
    The Geneva School
    Winter Park, FL

• 2.  RE: Cutting of Henry V

Posted 11-23-2015 06:32
    We presented HENRY 5 a few years ago. I cut the script and I think maybe I cut it a little too deeply. Maybe a lot.

Mark A. Zimmerman

Theatre Director

Akron School for the Arts

Firestone High School

333 Rampart Avenue

Akron, Ohio 44313

www.FirestoneTheatre.com

• 3.  RE: Cutting of Henry V

Posted 11-23-2015 08:37

If you cant find a cutting you like I suggest cutting with students if you have the time.  It gives them a better understanding of the language and the show.  I sit with my students and let them help with the cutting. 

[Chris] [Veneris]
    Theatre Educator/NC Chapter Director]
    Guilford County Schools
    [Greensboro] [NC]

• 4.  RE: Cutting of Henry V

Posted 11-23-2015 08:41

I did Henry V a few years ago for my Summer Shakespeare program.  It was an awesome experience!  I think I have a video of the show which would give you the cutting we did.  Let me know the best way to share that with you if you are interested.  We learned so much about Shakespeare's view on war--while Henry, historically,  has been used time and again to rally support for conflict and paint the picture of patriotic fervor--the words which Henry speaks reveal the atrocities of battle in a way I hadn't really realized till we started to look deeply at the text and speak the words.  And of course, the  brilliant ending by the chorus--after the great victory--it was all lost--the wastefulness of war.  Such an amazing play on so many levels.

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI

• 5.  RE: Cutting of Henry V

Posted 11-23-2015 09:23

Hi Lisa!

A couple of years back I did a cutting of all four of the plays that comprise "The Henriad" (Richard II, Henry IV 1 & 2 and Henry V), which brings each of them down to a single hour. 

I started to do the same thing for the "War of the Roses" plays (Henry VI 1, 2 & 3 and Richard III), but got distracted into doing the entire History Cycle of all ten plays in a single hour (Shakespeare's Histories; Ten Epic Plays at a Breakneck Pace!). Which turned out to be kind of a blast.

If you're interested, drop me a note at the e-mail below, and I can send you a copy of that original "Henriad" script. 

Tim

Tim Mooney
    www.timmooneyrep.com
    tim@timmooneyrep.com
    Prospect Heights IL

• 6.  RE: Cutting of Henry V

Posted 11-28-2015 21:42

I am very interested.  I'd love to see your cuts.  Wow, all ten in an hour!  My inner theatre geek is very happy.

Tisha

Tisha Donnelly
    Director, troupe #5591
    Vanden High School
    Fairfield, CA

• 7.  RE: Cutting of Henry V

Posted 11-30-2015 15:56

I'd love to look at Henriad!

Melissa Carroll-Jackson
    Director of Theatre
    Phoenix AZ

• 8.  RE: Cutting of Henry V

Posted 11-23-2015 12:17
    I did Henry V a few years ago.I don't have my cutting handy, but I do remember this: keep in the scenes with the English traitors and the scenes that are done in French. They play very well. The chorus can be broken up if you want to have more people handle it.
    I do wonder, though...is this the best time to do a play that lionizes an unprovoked attack on France?

Billy Houck
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale, CA

• 9.  RE: Cutting of Henry V

Posted 11-25-2015 17:55

I think Henry V is really more of an anti-war piece. He points out that it was all for naught at the end. 

And, honestly, when I have a group of teenagers all excited to do Shakespeare, I don't really care about the timing. :)

Lisa Davidson Hines
    Drama Teacher 2nd-12th
    The Geneva School
    Winter Park, FL

• 10.  RE: Cutting of Henry V

Posted 11-28-2015 21:45

That's a good question, Billy.  

During our closing night of Get Smart I was surprised that the packed house was so quiet.  One of the teachers who attended that night mentioned to me two days later that the attacks in France gave some of the moments in the play extra, unintended meaning.  He liked the play, but struggled with the mentions of KAOS the organization for world dominance and its attacks on national monuments, etc...

Just something to keep in mind.

t

Tisha Donnelly
    Director, troupe #5591
    Vanden High School
    Fairfield, CA