Open Forum

View Only

Producing IN THE HEIGHTS

• 1.  Producing IN THE HEIGHTS

Posted 05-05-2016 15:10
    Wanting to know if there are any caveats to producing IN THE HEIGHTS at the high school level that I should be aware of.

Molly Cornwell
    Theatre Director
    Phone 216-320-8796, ext.7125
    mcornwell@hb.edu

• 2.  RE: Producing IN THE HEIGHTS

Posted 05-06-2016 07:52

One potential problem area, if your audience is touchy: There is a scene where two unmarried characters emerge from spending the night together. Nothing depicted (at least in the version I saw), but that part of the show gives a fairly strong approval to premarital sex. So, some folks won't care, some might. 

That said, my only problem with the show (and I know this is not a popular opinion): the book is weak. Despite its success, the critics did single out the book as the weak link. Quoting from Wiki:

Hudes' book received mixed reviews. Charles McNulty's The Los Angeles Times review mentioned that "the downside to In the Heights is the book...which is overstuffed and oversimplified."[36] The New York Post's Clive Barnes also gave negative comments about the book, saying that "Hudes' work is droopily sentimental and untruthful."[37] Joe Dziemianowicz of the NY Daily News also disliked the book, but added that "what it lacks in story and believability it makes up for in a vibrant rap- and salsa-flavored score, spirited dances and great-looking design."[38]

Ultimately, the message of the show is "Win the lottery, and your troubles will be solved." But, it's a crowd-pleaser and a half, and a marketing dynamo, especially now that you can tag it with "From the creator of "Hamilton."

Scott

------------------------------
    Scott Piehler
    Director
    SUWANEE GA

• 3.  RE: Producing IN THE HEIGHTS

Posted 05-10-2016 08:19

Thank you Scott for responding to my query.  Sounds like a positive experience overall.  I am waiting for my perusal.

Molly Cornwell
    Shaker Heights OH

• 4.  RE: Producing IN THE HEIGHTS

Posted 05-07-2016 10:18

That was our musical last year and I've never had students more excited to be apart of a show. I saw someone mentioned the opening to Act II. If your school teaches Romeo and Juliet, I would think people would be hard pressed to have issues. Benny and Nina are, in fact, start crossed lovers.  I agree the book is weak. There are points where you wonder "Was that introduced before and I missed it" or "where did that plotline/dialogue end up mattering?" Despite that, the music and songs are amazing, it has a massive contemporary feel. LMM says openly, and now that we've all seen what Hamilton is doing, that it is OK to cast outside of traditional roles. The idea is to explore the situation in Washington Heights, not re-enact it. I loved teaching it because it is a very traditional musical in form and there is a lot to draw from in its homage to Fiddler on the Roof.

I say GO FOR IT! It is and experience your kids will never forget.

mark J

Mark Johnson
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Farmington Hills MI

• 5.  RE: Producing IN THE HEIGHTS

Posted 05-20-2016 15:19

I'd like to know the level of difficulty of In The Heights for singers and musicians. Thanks!

Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe 1777
    Phoenix High School

• 6.  RE: Producing IN THE HEIGHTS

Posted 05-26-2016 08:58

Hey Sonja,

We have now produced In The Heights and Bring It On, so I can honestly tell you that some of the singing in Mr Miranda's shows can be tricky.  It isn't that the music is difficult in and of itself, it is that the compositions he creates can be a bit of a challenge.  Quite often, the multiple parts being sung will be in counterpoint rhythms or complimentary syncopations.  Our kids struggled with staying in their own "tune" without listening to what might be going on elsewhere onstage. It's gorgeous when they get it together, but it certainly takes a lot of repetition and rehearsal.  Then add some hot choreography on top of that.  

Bottom line, the show is worth the challenges.  Just make sure your Musical Director is on point.

I hope you do the show!  It is a lot of fun.

C. J. Brock
    Houston TX
    Troupe 4026

• 7.  RE: Producing IN THE HEIGHTS

Posted 05-09-2016 01:36

Just closed this show less than a month ago....and it was an amazing experience. I strongly encourage you to budget properly before you do the show. The rights for us we $1400 and the music was $1450. It might take some time to learn the program Sinfonia is you don't have a musical director who is familiar with it. It took me about 2 weeks to navigate thru it. That was a major hurdle. As far as the set I can send you picture of what we did. My sets always look like they cost more money than they really do. Another challenge will be getting someone to paint the Abuela mural to look similar to whoever you cast. Last minor irritation is the script doesn't include a prop list but you can easily have the students create on from watching the youtube clips. 

Outside of those three concerns, this is a great show. We were able to introduce alot of students to theatre that would have never gone to watch a musical simply because it connected to latin culture, was a theme that resonated with ESL students, and the music alone is extremely captivating. If you market it correctly you can get students and adults to tap into their own culture, family traditions/history. It can create a sense of community that no other musical to date can do especially for minorities. My school is extremely diverse and we used the marketing strategy ideas on the promotion page of r&h and it certainly paid of. Small businesses supported this show in ways we've never been able to do before. Casting is crucial. I had 7 boys in the cast and 23 girls. The students had 15 options of this show on youtube to analyze. That really helped with character development. 

Feel free to contact me at denique.morris@abcusd.us with any question. 

Denique Morris
    Teacher
    Cerritos CA

• 8.  RE: Producing IN THE HEIGHTS

Posted 05-11-2016 06:47

I did this show four years ago, and my kids are still talking about it! It's the only musical I've ever done where I would hear the music coming from car speakers as students arrived or left the campus! It left us with a high that lasted all year, culminating when the students convinced the prom dj to play one of the songs from the show, and the entire school resurrected the dance on the prom floor. No flak from the audience about the content in any way, and it was a great opportunity for my little northeastern school to engage in some serious dialogue about gentrification and cultural awareness.  Three separate groups of teens took the trip from Vermont down to Washington Heights just to "feel" the neighborhood, and all came back excited. Have a blast with this one!

Charles McMeekin
    Sharon VT

• 9.  RE: Producing IN THE HEIGHTS

Posted 05-16-2016 00:18

I have also been looking at In The Heights and am debating whether not having a multi-cultural cast would be a disservice to the show.

My school and community are not very diverse but seeing what LMM is doing with Hamilton casting makes me think it might be OK.

Thoughts on casting from people who have done the show?

Cecille Deason
    Weyers Cave VA

• 10.  RE: Producing IN THE HEIGHTS

Posted 05-17-2016 08:20

I produced In The Heights this spring and both students and audience members loved it. Critics may say it is a weak book, but it spoke to a lot of people. I am fortunate that I have a very diverse school, unfortunately not many Hispanic students auditioned.  I took comfort in an article that I read on-line with an interview Here it is-

What Does “Hamilton” Tell Us About Race In Casting?

December 3rd, 2015 13">http://www.hesherman.com/?p=4545">13 Comments

Renée Elise Goldsberry, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Phillipa Soo in Hamilton (Photo by Joan Marcus)

In the wake of the recent casting controversies over Katori Hall’s The Mountaintop and Lloyd Suh’s Jesus in India, there have been a number of online commenters who have cited Lin-Manuel Miranda’s musical Hamilton as a justification for their position in the debate. What’s intriguing is that Hamilton has been offered up both as evidence of why actors of color must have the opportunity to play both characters or color and characters not necessarily written as characters of color – but it has also been used to say that anything goes, and white actors should be able to play characters of color as well.

In the Broadway production of Hamilton, the characters are historical figures who were all known to have been white, but they are played by actors of many races and ethnicities, notably black, Latino and Asian. My position on non-traditional (or color-blind or color-specific) casting is that it is not a “two-way street,” and that the goal is to create more opportunities for actors of color, not to give white actors the chance to play characters of color.

As it happens, I had an interview scheduled with Miranda last week, the night before Thanksgiving. Race wasn’t the subject at all, however. We were speaking about his experiences in, and views on, high school theatre, for Dramatics magazine, a publication of the Educational Theatre Association (ask a high school thespian for a copy). But when I finished the main interview, and had shut off my voice recorder, I asked Miranda if he would be willing to make any comment regarding the recent casting situations that had come to light. He was familiar with The Mountaintop case, but I had to give him an exceptionally brief précis of what had occurred with Jesus in India. He said he would absolutely speak to the issue, and I had to hold up my hand to briefly pause him as he rushed to start speaking, while I started recording again.

“My answer is: authorial intent wins. Period,” Miranda said. “As a Dramatists Guild Council member, I will tell you this. As an artist and as a human I will tell you this. Authorial intent wins. Katori Hall never intended for a Caucasian Martin Luther King. That’s the end of the discussion. In every case, the intent of the author always wins. If the author has specified the ethnicity of the part, that wins.

“Frankly, this is why it’s so important to me, we’re one of the last entertainment mediums that has that power. You go to Hollywood, you sell a script, they do whatever and your name is still on it. What we protect at the Dramatists Guild is the author’s power over their words and what happens with them. It’s very cut and dry.”

This wasn’t the first time Miranda and I have discussed racial casting. Last year, we corresponded about it in regard to high school productions of his musical In The Heights, and his position on the show being done by high schools without a significant Latino student body, which he differentiated from even college productions.

Lin-Manuel Miranda, Karen Olivo and the company of In The Heights (Photo by Joan Marcus)

“The joy of In The Heights runs both ways to me,” he wrote me in early 2014. “When I see a school production with not a lot of Latino students doing it, I know they’re learning things about Latino culture that go beyond what they’re fed in the media every day. They HAVE to learn those things to play their parts correctly. And when I see a school with a huge Latino population do Heights, I feel a surge of pride that the students get to perform something that may have a sliver of resonance in their daily lives. Just please God, tell them that tanning and bad 50’s style Shark makeup isn’t necessary. Latinos come in every color of the rainbow, thanks very much.

“And I’ve said this a million times, but it bears repeating: high school’s the ONE CHANCE YOU GET, as an actor, to play any role you want, before the world tells you what ‘type’ you are. The audience is going to suspend disbelief: they’re there to see their kids, whom they already love, in a play. Honor that sacred time as educators, and use it change their lives. You’ll be glad you did.”

Marla Blasko
    Theatre Arts Director
    Columbia MD

• 11.  RE: Producing IN THE HEIGHTS

Posted 05-25-2016 11:59

I guess Lin Manuel gets the final word on it, as it is his show, but personally, as a Latina person, it is exhausting to see white folks ignore the racial aspect of this show. So, I get the whole "you never get to play this in your life, so play it in high school" thing, of course, but taking a primarily racial narrative and whitewashing it exhausts me. When I first heard Nina sing Breathe, I cried, because I was a first-generation Latina college student who left her entire community behind, and I had never heard someone understand it the way that I have. I get that white students want/need to experience life outside of theirs - I teach in a huge white community where I am one of few people of color. I recognize it is hard to be told "don't do this show, it isn't for you".  (Truly, I didn't even realize at first the impact that having a teacher of color makes on other students of color.) When In The Heights is directed by a white person, acted primarily by white people, there is not an authentic person of color who is telling these stories, even if it does feature brown people as characters. I've seen directors who are doing this "take a trip to the barrio" and I ask, are you really saying to treat the 'barrio' like a field trip to go watch people? My family isn't your field trip. So, I don't know. Do what you want. Ultimately, it's a learning experience. But, in my opinion at least, at least include some actual people of color during your process - whether that is bringing in outsiders to talk about their experiences or just making sure to cast people or color or get an assistant director who is a person of color. Don't just do the show and hope that the "Latino narrative" will rub off on everyone. Use it to create an authentic dialogue with actual people of color, whether those are students or community members.

Kandace
    Drama Teacher
    WA

• 12.  RE: Producing IN THE HEIGHTS

Posted 05-26-2016 11:52

We're thinking of doing this show in a few years and while we are an inner city, diverse school, I still would require my students to do cultural research.  It's just part of the process.  Basic acting tells us that observation is key to performance, so I think that it is actually kind of great that some students who have a more limited perspective visited Washington Heights to better understand the culture they were trying to represent.  And not just as actors, I just believe that it's such a teachable moment about a culture different than their own.  Imagine if a person only had one frame of reference and how much harder it would be to understand another culture.  

Bernadette MacLeod
    Charlotte NC

• 13.  RE: Producing IN THE HEIGHTS

Posted 01-15-2017 18:54
    To all those who have produced IN THE HEIGHTS:  What did you use as "spray paint"cans in the opening with Graffiti Pete?

Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe 1777
    Phoenix High School

• 14.  RE: Producing IN THE HEIGHTS

Posted 01-16-2017 03:12
    There is spray fog -- in a hairspray can., I just saw a performance of in the heights and I believe that is what they used at the top of the show. Fantasy FX haze in a can about 12-13 bucks each we used it for Hairspray. 

• 15.  RE: Producing IN THE HEIGHTS

Posted 01-16-2017 08:19
    Fantasy FX Professional Haze Spray "Fog In A Can" Diffusion 8oz. (Ships By Ground Only) - Filmtools
    Filmtools remove preview
    Fantasy FX Professional Haze Spray "Fog In A Can" Diffusion 8oz. (Ships By Ground Only) - Filmtools
    Buy your Fantasy FX Professional Horizontal Haze Spray "Fog In A Can" Odorless Haze Effects 8oz. (Ground Only) at Filmtools
    View this on Filmtools >

I used Fantasy FX Professional Haze Spray for the opening from a local theatre supply house. I bought 6 cans for my production of Hairspray the year before and there was a lot of fog left in the cans. Since Pete had multiple cans to play with, I added a  partner who could really break dance. Pete used the extra cans with this added dancer and they juggled them back and forth. I used the longer opening montage music from R&H and it made for a great opening duet number.

Marla Blasko
    Theatre Arts Director
    Columbia MD