Open Forum

View Only

good mystery/thriller

• 1.  good mystery/thriller

Posted 05-24-2016 19:27
    Hi, all!

I am looking fort a terrific mystery or murder mystery or thriller for my 2016 fall show. I am considering AND THEN THERE WERE NONE, and I have mounted NIGHT MUST FALL and NIGHT WATCH, already. I thought about WAIT UNTIL DARK, but the cast size is too small. Ideally, I'd like something with a cast larger than six.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks loads!
    Nancy Bernhard
    Salinas High School

• 2.  RE: good mystery/thriller

Posted 05-25-2016 09:32

We had fun with a play called Death by Design by Rob Urbanati (Samuel French). It's a fun murder mystery-- without actually killing anyone. cast of 8 (4/4).  

------------------------------
    Caroline Clayton
    Teacher
    New Palestine IN

• 3.  RE: good mystery/thriller

Posted 05-25-2016 09:56

For a thriller, we did Noah Smith's adaptation of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde last year. Always a fun reaction when a character is dragged onto the stage with his own walking stick protruding from his chest.

James Gunn
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Madera High School
    Madera CA

• 4.  RE: good mystery/thriller

Posted 05-25-2016 10:20

It may be too adult, but Neighborhood 3: Requisition of Doom is fabulous and mixes reality and video game reality.  Super modern thriller with great roles for young actors.  

Hope Love

• 5.  RE: good mystery/thriller

Posted 05-25-2016 10:24

I've always been intrigued with SPEAKING OF MURDER by William and Audrey Roos. Cast size 8. Samuel French.

Rich Luedeke
    Blackhawk Christian Theatre
    Fort Wayne, IN

• 6.  RE: good mystery/thriller

Posted 05-25-2016 10:28

I'm in Lancaster County, PA - but The Fulton Theatre - one of the local professional theatres produced AND THEN THERE WERE NONE last year - and my students absolutely loved it!  They host a Teen Lounge program once per mainstage run (the 2nd Thursday, or something like that).  Teens arrive at 5:15, and have a workshop session with directors, technicians and actors involved in the show - usually including a backstage tour to see the sets from all angles.  Then a short break for dinner - lots of nearby options at downtown restaurants - and then come back to see the show.

It's $20 per student for each show - but you can get a 'season pass' for all of the productions (6) all year for $99.  As a Troupe, we ordered eight season passes, and just have kids sign up to attend different shows.  It was an $800 purchase, but it allows for 48 tickets and gives some of my kids an opportunity to see live, professional theatre up close. Since it's so close, it is also easy for them to make arrangements for their own transportation.  

Every student in our drama club is asked to participate in our fall fundraiser, to sell 50 apple dumplings, in exchange for any sort of "dues" or activity fee.  So with about 50 active club members, and 48 show tickets - that's a pretty even match.  For a few of the shows, I have had to order additional $20 tickets - but it usually works itself out.

For AND THEN THERE WERE NONE - they were so excited about seeing how the little figurines were manipulated and the special effects used.   Because the program is intended for teens (and it's on a school night) - I did not personally attend the show, but my son did - and he still mentions it at times. I can pick his brain for more details - but that title immediately caught my eye, because it is still one that left quite an impression even though it was in October, 2014!

Melissa Mintzer
    Willow Street PA

• 7.  RE: good mystery/thriller

Posted 05-25-2016 10:47
    13 Past Midnight, The Lady Cries Murder, The Night of January 16th are all great ones!

• 8.  RE: good mystery/thriller

Posted 05-26-2016 12:15

We had a blast with a little known suspense thriller called Hangman's Noose By George Batson. 

Keith Burns
    Theatre Arts Director
    Paradise Valley AZ

• 9.  RE: good mystery/thriller

Posted 05-27-2016 09:44
    Since you are already considering a Christie - take a look at A Murder is Announced.  We just produced it last year and it's a lot of fun!  Several strong female leads, some great character roles and a good twist!

--
    Amy Crane
    Drama/Music/Speech
    Marquette Catholic High School
    Michigan City, IN

• 10.  RE: good mystery/thriller

Posted 05-26-2016 13:54

We had great fun with Design for Murder by George Batson.  Its first copyright date is 1931, and Tallulah Bankhead starred in it.  

There are 10 characters, 6 of them female.  One of the 4 males is a policeman who only appears in the final scene and could potentially be played by a character who dies earlier.  

Box set. 

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 11.  RE: good mystery/thriller

Posted 05-27-2016 12:23

A Kander & Ebb MUSICAL thriller:

CURTAINS

It’s the brassy, bright, and promising year of 1959. Boston’s Colonial Theatre is host to the opening night performance of a new musical. When the leading lady mysteriously dies on stage the entire cast & crew are suspects. Enter a local detective, who just happens to be a musical theatre fan!

At TRW:

http://theatricalrights.com/curtains

Michael McDonough
    New York NY