Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Absences!

Posted 01-05-2017 10:34
    My advanced theatre class often has scene work which stretches over several weeks as groups of students, sometimes with a student director, prepare ten to fifteen minute scenes.  Right before our winter break this year they presented such scenes. Mindful of the fact that some kids might be leaving early for winter break extended vacations I repeatedly stressed that they should let me know if they were leaving early so that their group could perform before they left. Two students did so. A third did not let me know and just didn't show up on the last day of class-- his director read his part so that the group could perform. The director said she expected this -- he had told the group that he wasn't coming Friday but didn't want to tell me because he didn't memorize, etc. When we returned to school this week, I gave them their grades for the scenes, and he received a zero.  I was informed yesterday that because his parents excused his absence I needed to give hi an opportunity to make up the work.
    I'm wondering what others do in these types of situations. A monologue? A written assignment? this doesn't happen often, but it sure is frustrating when it does!

Kathy Dorgan
    OHS Theatre Director
    English Department

• 2.  RE: Absences!

Posted 01-05-2017 10:45
    A monologue. 
    That seems just. 
    "Get 'em academically."

• 3.  RE: Absences!

Posted 01-06-2017 07:48
    At our school when a performer misses a performance, they must stay after school and perform their piece(s) for their teacher as though it was a real performance - which for music means full concert dress. We also have a 3 day makeup work policy, when the student is out, they have 3 days to makeup their work. I would tell the student that if they want their scene partners there for their makeup performance then they need to arrange that. Otherwise I might just read the other parts for them.

--
    Hillary Bogers
    Theatre Director
    Jack Britt High School
    910-429-2800

This e-mail is for the sole use of the individual for whom it is intended. If you are neither the intended recipient, nor agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, any disclosure, re-transmission, copying, or reliance on the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the person transmitting the correspondence immediately. All e-mail correspondence to and from this email may be subject to disclosure to any third party upon request, including the media. It shall not be necessary to disclose: 1) E-mail correspondence which does not constitute a Public Record as defined under N.C.G.S. §132.1 or; 2) a public record which is exempt from disclosure under other applicable State or Federal law.

• 4.  RE: Absences!

Posted 01-06-2017 09:50

I have the same issues.   i make the students sign contracts and send those contracts home for parents.  They also have an option to accept an alternate assignment of a 2 to 3 minute monologue with designs and character analysis attached.   Something equivilant to the scene work.   The ones with poor attendance usually opt out in the beginning and I don't have scene partners who always have someone missing.  Also I don't make the end scene such a big grade.   I grade them on check points:  blocking, off script, work and concentration in rehearsal, costumes, set, dress and final performance.   

------------------------------
    Ryan Lee
    Royal Palm Beach FL

• 5.  RE: Absences!

Posted 01-12-2017 09:25
    I'm curious...does anyone have any rubrics to share on their grading in class? This is a great point and I'm glad this has been brought up. I usually have the student do it by themselves. Because it's considered "late," I do not give them an A...regardless if it was the best he could do. This is in my syllabus as well so students know what happens if they choose to do this behavior. 

Sara Danke
    Wisconsin Rapids WI

• 6.  RE: Absences!

Posted 01-06-2017 10:06

Just have them do the scene over.  Only grade that student for his work in the scene.  Whatever he does or doesn't do, grade him on that as you did the other students.  If he doesn't want to do it give him the zero he deserves.

Kelly Thomas
    Mesquite TX

• 7.  RE: Absences!

Posted 01-06-2017 10:34

If my students miss a pre-planned class performance, they have to do the entire scene by themselves. If they can convince their partners to do it with them, fine, but the others are not obligated. I put this in my syllabus this year for the first time. Haven't had to deal with it yet, but the administration signed off on my syllabus, so they will back me up if it comes to a shouting match.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 8.  RE: Absences!

Posted 01-12-2017 10:53
    I make them perform the scene, on my schedule (which, because of rehearsals after school means in the morning before school), and grade them as exactly the same as I grade their partners. I also tell them it's up to them to find people to read the other characters if their scene partners don't want to perform again. I won't read the lines for them. I usually offer the kids who already performed the option of performing it for a higher grade so that they are more inclined to really work through the scene instead of simply standing there literally reading lines off a page. It really helps encourage the scene partners to perform as well as they can. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ