Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  drama club authority issues- your advice

Posted 10-11-2017 05:31
    Hi,

I was hired  by admin to place structure and revitalize a program that was left vacant by my predecessor due to a variety of reasons. My AD and the students along with 5 other adults cobbled the show together last year  after the D resigned and the entire experience  was described as a disaster. The students felt empowered by their take over, despite the shows' poor execution and expect to do the same this year.  I was  asked to take charge of this after school issue  and develop a strong program as it was in years' past. 

My AD, a recent  graduate of the high school, was the director last year and now I am asked to take that role. This is not sitting well with him.  Also,  he maintains friendships with the students and is hired as a perm sub in the district. He also takes a few stipends for extra work. 

When I attempt structure, meeting protocol and kind discipline, I get kick back, not from the cast, but the club's exec board.  Two students quit the board, and 2 students dropped out of the cast. They have all been replaced. The new  cast seems fine with the structure and the show is on track. 

Now it seems they have gone to the principal and  I am being called into a meeting with the students on the board,  and the AD, so the" confusion" can be alleviated.
    My Ad has refused to comply to my requests that were discussed weeks ago. He choses to do "what he wants" and not take direction from me. He does not come to rehearsals and leaves me in the dark as to where he is and what he plans to do. 

What advice can I get from you all before I go into this meeting on Friday? The union is aware, yet I am not sure I want to have a rep in there with me, ( I'm in the role 5 weeks) yet I do feel a mutiny may be on the horizon. I am not so sure the principal has my back, as this is her third year and likes the AD and seems guided by whatever the kids want....despite what she asked me to create when hired. 

Kate Caton

Music and Theatre Instructor- K-12

Director, Drury Stage Company 

"Whatever I have tried to do in life, I have tried with all my heart to do it well; whatever I have devoted myself to, I have devoted myself completely; in great aims and in small I have always thoroughly been in earnest." Charles Dickens  "David Copperfield",

• 2.  RE: drama club authority issues- your advice

Posted 10-11-2017 07:43
    Document everything in writing! Have participants, place, date, time of all infractions. Have minutes of the meetings to show the administration what was discussed and decided. Document every incident of the AD not being at his appointed place. 

Have a union rep with you at all meetings.

The good part?  "The new  cast seems fine with the structure and the show is on track." It sounds like the students understand what should be happening.

Good luck!

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: drama club authority issues- your advice

Posted 10-11-2017 07:54
    ​At our school, the focus is ALWAYS what is best for the students.  They like the students to drive activities and let the advisors, well, advise.    Keep all of your interactions what is best practice for the students to succeed.  If the new cast is fine with things and everything is on track, stand your ground. 
    Good luck!

Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 4.  RE: drama club authority issues- your advice

Posted 10-12-2017 06:35
    In my experience Once is a revolution; Twice is a tradition. This year the changes you are instituting may never sit well with all (especially the seniors). But next year they will be familiar and expected. Before you know it your style and policies will be "the way we've always done it."
    It sounds like your AD needs to get on board or get gone. He is the old guard; you could use a new guard who has YOUR back. 
    Good luck at your meeting.

Douglas Rome
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Fairfax County Public Schools
    Burke VA

• 5.  RE: drama club authority issues- your advice

Posted 10-11-2017 15:23
    If possible, talk to the principal first so you won't get blindsided, and so the principal will know what you're dealing. Also, by speaking without students there,  you can perhaps be a bit more frank about the issue.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 6.  RE: drama club authority issues- your advice

Posted 10-12-2017 06:01
    Thanks for the great advise. The union insists on being at the meeting  and so they will be.
    I will document the decisions and Ad infractions today, just to have them in my tool box if I need them.

The rest of the school promotes college and career readiness, and all of the other programs allow the coaches and artistic directors the necessary freedoms to acquire such. Not the theatre wing, however. Students in the band and orchestra are college and career ready with the discipline of their art firmly established by their music teacher. There is some student leadership in the instrumental program,  however, the teacher is the decision maker on strategy, concert music choices and overall process. The coaches, the same. The assistant coach is just that; the coach is  in charge,  the team manager,one student and not 9.The coaches together  choose the teams at tryouts and establish the strategies  of the game season and game schedule. So, when scouts from colleges come to watch, the coaches, students and parents  are confident they have a solid program in place, that is administrated by the experts, the coaches and not the students. 

Ten years ago, the program was rigorous and relevant, due largely to the director at the time.  I was asked to implement the same courtesy. 

Thanks for your help.

Kate

Kate Caton
    Berkshires Theatre
    Lanesborough, MA

• 7.  RE: drama club authority issues- your advice

Posted 10-12-2017 09:43

I am glad the union rep will be there. 

Something to keep in mind: Always qualify everything "for the good of the students."

It sounds like you need to explain Theatre 101 to everyone. The way theatre is structured (everywhere, not just at a high school), all decisions and final choices are made by the director. It is the director's vision that is produced on the stage. It is the director's job to establish rehearsal style, etc. That is the nature of the performance art. It is a collaborative art form, with wonderful opportunities for student leadership as crew heads, however, to create a cohesive show the director has final say in everything.

BTW: It is stated up front in our theatre: Missing rehearsal more than once (unexcused) will result in your replacement. That goes for Stage Managers and Assistant Directors.

Will be thinking of you and wishing you the best.

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 8.  RE: drama club authority issues- your advice

Posted 10-12-2017 14:04
    Kate,

Ugh. It can be really hard when you're brought into a struggling department and have to turn everything around. In addition to what everyone else has suggested, I'd also recommend that when you meet with your principal and the student board, consider starting out the conversation by listening to the board's vision for the department. Even if it's completely at odds with your vision, they might be able to get on-board if they know that you've heard them out and care about their opinions. If their vision for the department is a pre-professional training course that will get them into college theatre programs, great! That's a perfect opportunity to explain that professional rehearsals have structures, just like the ones that you're implementing; you're preparing them for real-world theatre experiences. If they're more interested in just having a good time, ask them what that might look like and see if there are any areas in which you can compromise. Making them feel like they have ownership over the department (even in really small and insignificant ways) can go a long way towards breaking down the us vs. them mentality.

I'm with Douglas on the AD. He needs to either get on-board or get gone. However, if he's just bitter about not getting your job, you may be able to sway him onto your side by asking him what we wants to get out of being an AD and trying to make the experience as rewarding as possible for him (ex. by entrusting him with some additional responsibilities, letting him take on some independent projects, etc.). If you can't get rid of him, at least get him on your side.

Let us know how it goes! Good luck!

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 9.  RE: drama club authority issues- your advice

Posted 10-12-2017 20:05
    I'm going to echo John Perry. Document, document, document EVERYTHING. If you have verbal discussions related to the program, no matter how brief, follow up with a detailed email reiterating what was discussed and action to be taken. Also, absolutely have a union rep at your meeting - it is not just the amount of time you are involved with the production - it's also about the process.

Holly Whiting
    Drama Teacher
    Issaquah WA