Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Is it time to educate school administrators?

Posted 05-04-2018 13:56
    I don't want to sound like an activist  :-)  but one of the recurring themes I've seen here over the past couple of years, and particularly in the area of tech, is that administrators don't understand what's involved.

Two cases in point. One, the responses to the post I made asking for comments on a job description. Two, an email I received yesterday from a teacher in Canada whose school had nixed students from using lifts to hang lights. And there are lots of other examples.

Would it be an idea to do a presentation at a convention of school administrators regarding what's involved in (in this case) tech theater? One of the best such presentations I've seen was at the IAAPA (International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions) convention some years ago, where the presenter was explaining what's involved in creating an attraction. He brought a footlocker on stage and began to pull items from it in reverse order: "You have to get an occupancy permit. But, before that, you have to get... " and so on all the way back through the construction phase, the design phase, and the initial idea phase. That presentation went over really well. Really well.

One of the thoughts I had after seeing some of your comments on the job description, and after reading numerous posts here, was that maybe some of these positions are budgeted first, and then the job descriptions are figured out. Like they're two unrelated things. I'm not a teacher, but that's my impression from the viewpoint of a fly on the wall.

So, do you think it may be time to approach school administrators at one of their conventions?

------------------------------
    George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 2.  RE: Is it time to educate school administrators?

Posted 05-05-2018 05:43
    Oh this is definitely needed. Not at Ed TA conferences, though, because admin won't go. Aim for NEASC or the equivalent. We are currently trying to replace our very knowledgeable tech director and no one seems to get what we need. (Any English teachers/ tech teachers out there can PM me...). I'm trying to educate them but it is very difficult.

Elisabeth Ledwell
    Falmouth MA

• 3.  RE: Is it time to educate school administrators?

Posted 05-05-2018 12:02
    Right, definitely not at an EdTA conference: we'd just be singing to the choir.

I was thinking this morning... most drama teachers are trained as actors. And a lot of you probably have good comedic skills. A presentation, even on tech theatre needs, doesn't have to be dull: the one I mentioned above was done in a very interesting way and still got the point across. I served on a panel discussion many years ago, on the use of HALON in computer rooms, and the discussion wasn't dull at all. We kept it lively.

Sometimes a little humor cuts the ice far better than a bunch of dry facts. I had enough dry facts in HS history and college PolySci to last me a lifetime.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 4.  RE: Is it time to educate school administrators?

Posted 05-06-2018 11:12
    It's definitely time to education administrators. Not only what tech involves, but also what teachers are and are not capable of. 
    I have had some admins who think I should be able to rewire the entire theatre or take apart a broken sound board or (and this is my favorite) run a show with professional light cues, with a $50 DJ light board they found on Ebay. 
    Conversly, I have had admins who think that the tech booth is the Sanctum Sanctorum and the only person capable of entering, is their cousin who "has his own band, so he knows what he's doing".
    Each of us has different skill sets and a different comfort level with tech. Admins should ask us what we are capable of. 

• 5.  RE: Is it time to educate school administrators?

Posted 05-07-2018 08:03
    I have always believed that it was my responsibility to educate not only students but also the entire school community including the administration.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 6.  RE: Is it time to educate school administrators?

Posted 05-07-2018 16:15

Too often Admin assume that because a Drama teacher has had to complete a couple of tech theatre classes for their degree, that they are now tech experts. Agreed Myndee, that admin don't have an understanding of the skillset of theatre technicians, so that they either think the Drama (read: Acting) teacher should know how to do tech, or that "anyone" can do it. 

In order for change to come about, it is essential that two things happen:

1. High school administrators recognize that tech theatre is not acting, and if they have a theatre facility on their campus it must be appropriately staffed by a highly qualified CTE certified teacher, as well as a Theatre Manager.

2. Universities reform their theatre degree programs and teacher training programs, and not represent a teacher as qualified to teach tech, who is an acting/directing/literature teacher without any technical qualifications beyond the requirement to take one introductory course.

Mark, I had a look at your Drama program website – the support, awareness and organization you've built up for your Drama program is awesome! Just curious if you have a CTE endorsement, or if they let you teach tech without it (some states don't have a theatre CTE endorsement)? I'm assuming your theatre also has a Theatre Manager and technicians who are in charge of all of the other school events that use the facility? It seems like you have some really supportive admin that you've educated to be aware of how a high school theatre facility operates!

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Lighting Designer
    School Theatre Operations Coach

NEW!
    ONLINE TECH COURSES FOR STUDENTS AND TEACHERS http://www.presett.org/techieacademy.html . A great summer project!

HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE MANAGEMENT ONLINE COURSE for Drama Teachers: Summer session June 4th (half full, 4 spaces left). Fall session Sept 10th. http://www.presett.org/theatre-management-course.html

REP PLOT DESIGN - Never have to re-hang and re-focus all your lights again! http://www.presett.org/repplot.html

"HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS" and more tech theatre books at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO