Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Chicago (School Edition)

Posted 08-15-2018 12:38
    Well, hello.

Has anyone on this forum had any experience with the school version of Chigago? Either producing it or seeing it.  I'm mostly curious about how it was received by your administration and school communities.  

I've looked over the perusal and it's still pretty steamy. While I can certainly see ways to tone down the overtly sexual implications, I'm genuinely just curious to hear from anyone who has done it.  

Thanks!

Eric

------------------------------
    Eric McNaughton
    Theatre Director
    Marist School
    AtlantaGA
    mcnaughtone@marist.com

• 2.  RE: Chicago (School Edition)

Posted 08-16-2018 09:41
    ​Hi Eric,

It was at festival a few years ago and done very well, and it was well received. I have not done the show, it is on our list to do. In fact, our principal is a big fan of the show and is wanting us to do it. Costuming is the key. You can tone down the sexuality by how you clothe the women.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 3.  RE: Chicago (School Edition)

Posted 08-16-2018 17:27
    While I have not seen it performed yet, we are performing it for our fall musical this year.  We are just waiting for the scripts and score to ship to get started.  Our administration was happy with our choices, and we are smaller conservative school in a rural area.  I can let you know how that audiences liked it in November.

- Michael L Kurhajec
    Techincal Director
    Union Grove High School
    Performing Arts Department

• 4.  RE: Chicago (School Edition)

Posted 02-01-2019 11:51
    Just a heads-up. I did the application because my students really want to do it, and the rights estimator came back as $3,400. That is WAY more than I usually pay for musical rights, so you may want to keep that in mind.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 5.  RE: Chicago (School Edition)

Posted 02-04-2019 08:31
    How many performances and seats do you have? That makes a big difference in the royalty. We typically pay quite a bit more than that for musical royalties.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 6.  RE: Chicago (School Edition)

Posted 09-02-2018 04:03
    We're doing it this April, and I was on pins and needles waiting for the superintendent's decision. They read the script and I was very clear from the get go that costumes and dancing would be tamer than the movie. They felt good with that and asked that we also provide a small disclaimer that kids under 12 not advised without parent.

Rachel Snow
    Drama and Technical Theater Teacher
    Alhambra High School
    Alhambra CA