Open Forum

View Only

Do you teach Drama, Theatre, Acting or....?

• 1.  Do you teach Drama, Theatre, Acting or....?

Posted 05-09-2016 09:35
    Out of curiosity... does your school's Master Board offer
    Drama I-IV
    Theatre I-IV
    or 
    Acting I-IV

I'd love to know how many classes of Stagecraft, Directing, or other that your school also offers.

What drove you/your school's choice to offer what you do? Has it changed over a period of time?

Care to share? Thanks in advance.
    ------------------------------
    Donalda A. McCarthy
    Tweets @MissDonni
    IG @IntlTheatreTeacher

Theatre Education
    Palm Beach Lakes High School
    West Palm Beach, FL, USA

• 2.  RE: Do you teach Drama, Theatre, Acting or....?

Posted 05-09-2016 09:44

We have 6 sections of Theatre Arts 1, 2 of Theatre Arts 2, one of Theatre Arts 3 & 4 combines, and two of Stagecraft.

We add classes as we see a need.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Do you teach Drama, Theatre, Acting or....?

Posted 05-09-2016 11:00

We have two sections of Drama Comprehensive I, one section of Drama Comprehensive II, a combined section of Drama III/IV/Theatre IB, one section of Stagecraft I, and one section of Stagecraft II-IV.

Zach Schneider Troupe No. 1
    Teacher
    Natrona County High School
    Casper WY

• 4.  RE: Do you teach Drama, Theatre, Acting or....?

Posted 05-10-2016 10:12

We offer:

Four full years of Acting, Children's Theatre Literature combined with Children's Theatre Performance, Theatre History, and full year of Technical Theatre.

Currently we are struggling getting all of those classes filled, so I am considered a part-time Theatre Arts teacher. This year it has been: a semester of combined Theatre History and Acting 3, and Acting 5; Acting 1; and Technical Theatre. Second semester is Combined Children's Theatre and Acting 4 and Acting 6; Acting 2; and Technical Theatre. 

We are not co-curricular so the performance part of my job is after school. It is a stipend "coaching" position.

Warren

Warren Kerr
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Auburn School District
    Auburn WA

• 5.  RE: Do you teach Drama, Theatre, Acting or....?

Posted 05-10-2016 08:29
    2 sections drama 1
    One section drama 2-4 combined
    One stagecraft
    One IB theatre

Scott Hasbrouck

• 6.  RE: Do you teach Drama, Theatre, Acting or....?

Posted 05-10-2016 10:39

Theatre 1

Theatre 2

Theatre 3

Company Theatre

Stagecraft

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 7.  RE: Do you teach Drama, Theatre, Acting or....?

Posted 05-19-2016 14:58

2016-2017 Courses for Noblesville High School

Year-Long Courses:

Theatre Arts I & II (3 sections)

Advanced Theatre Arts I & II (1 section)

Advanced Acting I & II (1 section)

Semester-Long Courses:

Technical Theatre (1 section)

Theatre Productions (1 section)

We also offer a Film Lit course (2 sections each semester), but that is managed through the English Department.

Susan Nieten
    Theatre & English Teacher
    Noblesville High School
    @NHSTheatre @mrsnieten

• 8.  RE: Do you teach Drama, Theatre, Acting or....?

Posted 05-10-2016 10:40
    Our school offers Theatre I-IV.  There are 4 sections of Theatre 1, 1 section of Theatre II and a combined section of Theatre III/IV.  Next year the change will be 3 sections of Theatre I, 2 sections of Theatre II and the combined section of Theatre III/IV.  

Our schedule is student driven and when I started there was a beginning acting, advanced acting and a play productions class-- three classes total.  

Theatre I is an introduction to the stage, being comfortable on stage and an introduction to acting.
    Theatre II is an introduction to the backstage elements of theatre as well as some acting, stage combat, etc.
    Theatre III is advanced acting
    Theatre IV is history of theatre, advanced acting and public performance.

Julie Estrada, MEd.
    Theatre Director
    Windsor High School Theatre
    1100 West Main Street
    Windsor, CO 80550
    NOTE the change in email address as of 12/2/2015:

• 9.  RE: Do you teach Drama, Theatre, Acting or....?

Posted 05-11-2016 07:50

The state of Georgia offers the following:

I teach primarily a performance based class in Drama I-IV.  However, I incorporate the standards and subject matter of all of these into my classes, depending on the level of proficiency and overall interest of each class (we have 6, 55-minute classes a day).

For those students that are really passionate about tech and stage craft, I split the focus so that they do such work while other students focus primarily on performance.  

In each class, all students read plays, write short scenes, study theatre history and various genres.

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 10.  RE: Do you teach Drama, Theatre, Acting or....?

Posted 05-12-2016 08:07

We have...

Theatre Arts Survey (a semester long class--this year I had 2 sections, next year only 1)

Theatre Repertory (a semester long class that is repeatable--2 sections --1 each semester)

Stagecraft (a semester long class that is also repeatable--2 sections--1 each semester)

Oh.. and IB Theatre (but that will be going away after this year's class finishes the program)

I used to have more sections, but the appeal of College Credit Plus and more science requirements has eaten into the elective enrollment.   Sigh....

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 11.  RE: Do you teach Drama, Theatre, Acting or....?

Posted 05-12-2016 08:10

My district really has not set guidelines, so each school is site-based in how their classes are combined.  I've got:

1 section of Drama I

1 section of Drama I combined with MYP Theatre 9

1 section of Drama II combined with MYP Theatre 10

1 section of Drama III combined with IB Theatre II

1 section of Drama IV combined with IB Theatre 12

The musical and play are extracurricular and there is a small...and I mean SMALL stipend associated with that.

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 12.  RE: Do you teach Drama, Theatre, Acting or....?

Posted 05-12-2016 11:52

We offer Acting 1, Acting 2 (which students can actually take 3 times), Stagecraft 1, Stagecraft 1 and Improv. 

Allison Knoll
    Drama Teacher
    Coeur d'Alene ID

• 13.  RE: Do you teach Drama, Theatre, Acting or....?

Posted 05-12-2016 12:04

We have on offer in our district

Theatre I-IV

Acting I-III

Technical Theatre Design and Production I-IV (with specializations in Costume and Makeup, and others)

Theatrical Improvisation

Muscial Theatre

Intro to Drama (a one semester course)

There might be others. We offer and have all but Acting at our site. Excited for Improv starting next year!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 14.  RE: Do you teach Drama, Theatre, Acting or....?

Posted 05-12-2016 12:06

What I notice is the tendency of some classes to be rolled into others, i.e. Directing students (our district offers that too) are put in with the Theatre I-IV kids, which makes sense, but can be a bear for preparation.

I know one colleague who had 40+ students in his Theatre I-IV class mixed in with another 30 kids in the same period of Tech Theatre. Sounds like a sensible idea, from a Guidance perspective, but what a horror!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 15.  RE: Do you teach Drama, Theatre, Acting or....?

Posted 05-14-2016 12:43

I know one colleague who had 40+ students in his Theatre I-IV class mixed in with another 30 kids in the same period of Tech Theatre. Sounds like a sensible idea, from a Guidance perspective, but what a horror!

As in... ONE teacher had 70 students??? Not willing Cast Members, but students... including Level I's????????

Donalda A. McCarthy
    Tweets @MissDonni
    IG @IntlTheatreTeacher

Theatre Education
    West Palm Beach, FL, USA

• 16.  RE: Do you teach Drama, Theatre, Acting or....?

Posted 05-18-2016 14:18

We used to have several sections of Drama I and Drama II each year, and I was developing a Stagecraft class, when Michigan introduced the Michigan Merit Curriculum. It was, of course, heavy on Academics and had next to nothing for the Arts. Additionally, school funding has been drastically cut almost yearly for the past 13 years, forcing larger class sizes. Drama classes tend to run 23-26 students, so they were closed to push kids into classes with 32+ kids.

As a result, we dropped to one section of Drama I every other year. 

Next year, we will finally offer Drama I and Drama II (one section of each), and I believe we will be running at that pace for the foreseeable future.

Mike Corliss

Stevenson H.S.

Livonia, MI

Michael Corliss
    Livonia MI

• 17.  RE: Do you teach Drama, Theatre, Acting or....?

Posted 05-25-2016 10:05

@Michael Corliss "We used to have several sections of Drama I and Drama II each year, and I was developing a Stagecraft class,..."

Does this mean you don't get to have your students for all four years?

How does that affect your Thespian troupe and their college auditions?

Donalda A. McCarthy
    Tweets @MissDonni
    IG @IntlTheatreTeacher

Theatre Education
    Palm Beach Lakes High School
    West Palm Beach, FL, USA

• 18.  RE: Do you teach Drama, Theatre, Acting or....?

Posted 05-12-2016 21:02

According to the Course Catalog, our school offers

Introduction to Drama I

Drama I

Personally, I taught Algebra 1 last year.  This year I have Physical Science and Biology.  Next year looks to be Physics and Earth & Space Science.

Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Clover Park High School
    Lakewood, Washington

• 19.  RE: Do you teach Drama, Theatre, Acting or....?

Posted 05-14-2016 15:12

This year we offered Acting, Directing, Stagecraft, and Theatre Leadership.  Currently I have 3 sections of Acting/Directing (30-35 actors, 3-6 directors per section) and 3 sections of Stagecraft/Theatre Leadership.  Theatre Leadership students are in charge of outreach, publicity, fundraisers, etc. but when they aren't doing that they help with stagecraft, so it made sense to roll them into one.

Next year we are offering a new course, Advanced Theatre Production, which will become our student production company.  They will produce one show per semester, which will be student chosen, student designed, student directed and student acted. I will act as producer.  The schedule for next year is 3 sections of Acting/Directing, 3 sections of Stagecraft (1 taught by me) and 2 sections of Advanced Theatre Production.  Leadership students will be embedded wherever it fits with their schedule.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 20.  RE: Do you teach Drama, Theatre, Acting or....?

Posted 05-28-2016 11:59

Olathe School District in the Kansas City metro area offers the following classes:

Dramatic Arts (semester class)

Acting 1(semester class)

Acting 2 (semester class)

Technical Theatre 1 (semester class)

Technical Theatre 2 (semester class)

Theatre Design (semester class)

Repertory Theatre (full year class)

Advanced Repertory Theatre (full year class)

We added the Advanced Rep Class and the Dramatic Arts class when freshmen were added to our school about 5 years ago. Our Rep and Advanced Rep classes are nested with one being a "play" Rep class and the other being a "musical" Rep class that is co-taught with our vocal music teacher.

David Tate Hastings
    Kansas Thespians
    Co-Chapter Director
    dhastingsos@olatheschools.org
    913-481-1868