Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Inappropriate Spirit Gear!?

Posted 10-17-2018 08:56
    I was just browsing through the EDTA store to look for spirit gear to feature on our club table for open house and was really disappointed in all the sexual connotation in the stickers and magnets "DO IT ONSTAGE" "DO IT IN THE DARK" "PRACTICE SAFE SETS" ???!!! This association is for students who are minors. How can I, a teacher, distribute this stuff to my students?  We are already in a unique position as directors. We guide them through the psychological process of characterization, the physical process of blocking, and the emotional process of motivation. Sexually connotative material, especially that which trivializes the subject, is a liability. If anyone knows who to contact at EDTA about this I would appreciate it. 

Thanks,

Kelly Cardall
    Baltimore, MD

------------------------------
    Kelly Cardall
    Baltimore MD

• 2.  RE: Inappropriate Spirit Gear!?

Posted 10-17-2018 09:21

I would just say that there are an endless variety of communities whose schools have Thespian Troupes. Every community has different standards. It is up to us as how we filter things down to our students. 

I am not advocating either way. To each their own. That is,perhaps, one of the greatest lessons we can teach. 

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 3.  RE: Inappropriate Spirit Gear!?

Posted 10-17-2018 17:54
    I understand your concern, as not all communities can appropriately handle this sensitively. But if it offends you, maybe you don't need to use those items? It's not like the students aren't talking like that.

Becca Lillias

• 4.  RE: Inappropriate Spirit Gear!?

Posted 10-19-2018 14:41
    I very much agree students talk like that but don't we as educators have a responsibility to prevent opportunities for harassment in our classes? There has been a lot of talk in the professional theatre community about sexual harassment and it seems this type of promotional wear trivializes the seriousness of it.

Kelly Cardall
    Baltimore MD

• 5.  RE: Inappropriate Spirit Gear!?

Posted 10-18-2018 07:49
    I am no prude and live/work in a fairly progressive area. We rarely shy away from suggestive material onstage as it fits the shows we are doing. However, the sexually suggestive Thespian gear gives me pause, too. I have not ordered any of it in years. Instead we make our own. it is cheaper and easier to manage.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 6.  RE: Inappropriate Spirit Gear!?

Posted 10-18-2018 08:20
    This kind of "gear" has been around a while. It probably started in the college theatre ranks and has filtered it's way down to high school theatre. I have been teaching for 27 years and while I have never purchased the material (mainly because it's not funny or clever, it's just kind of shocking) I can see why ITS still sells the material. I am sure some students would buy the gear, but most of the students I know really find it kind of cliche and find more appropriate items to buy and wear. To each his own, I guess.

Dan Schmidt
    Theatre Director
    USD 229
    Prairie Village KS

• 7.  RE: Inappropriate Spirit Gear!?

Posted 10-18-2018 08:56
    It's pretty simple really. Just don't buy it. It is optional and you are free to do as you wish, just as others are, and should be, free to buy it if they choose.

Maury Hancock
    Richmond VA

• 8.  RE: Inappropriate Spirit Gear!?

Posted 10-18-2018 14:19
    Thank you all for your thoughts. I am the person responsible for all of the saleable merchandise. The items being discussed are, in fact, being discontinued as they sell out so that everything we offer can be branded for either EdTA or ITS. 2019 will likely be the last year for those items.

David LaFleche
    Director of Membership
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 9.  RE: Inappropriate Spirit Gear!?

Posted 10-19-2018 14:38
    Thanks good to hear. I have no fear of sexual content onstage. Theatre is made to ask questions, spark discussion, etx but cheap  sexual trivialization of theatre roles is just not appropriate "fun" gear.

Kelly Cardall
    Baltimore MD

• 10.  RE: Inappropriate Spirit Gear!?

Posted 10-19-2018 14:43
    Agreed. Just wish there were more options for my troupe to show their support of theatre in a #metoo world.​

Kelly Cardall
    Baltimore MD