Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Technical Theatre Activity

Posted 02-25-2015 22:05

Hi,

I'm starting a unit in my tech theatre class on set design.  I'm looking for a cool, quick 45 minute project to get students excited about design.  I'll be teaching basic design concepts I.e. line, mass, color, texture, composition, etc.  Do any of you brilliant teachers a project or lesson plan?  Please share.

Best Russ

------------------------------
    Russell Saxton
    Drama Teacher
    Washington County School District
    St George UT

• 2.  RE: Technical Theatre Activity

Posted 02-26-2015 05:36
    I have worked on three basic build projects that can work , In my class I have students working in teams and they first sketch the design then I have them draw to scale either a tool box ( varying sizes ) bird house and or 5' or. 6' bench ( use for seating areas) before I give them a set piece to design for a show . Plans can be found on Internet ( woodworking) etc students really love the bird houses because they paint them creatively . They also make a plan - step by step for build and I have them give me a material list prior Use a lot of measuring devices, application of tool use etc ------------------------------ Denise Sebastiano Carmel Catholic High School Mundelein IL ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Technical Theatre Activity

Posted 02-26-2015 08:54

I've done a 'Web Scavenger Hunt.'  I listed a bunch of set designer's web sites, then a list of questions.

Find an example of a box set

Find a set that uses texture ... and so forth. 

It really helped the students to see the visual embodiment of the terms we were teaching.

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 4.  RE: Technical Theatre Activity

Posted 02-27-2015 09:10

Kristin,

Any chance you would be willing to post the designer'w web site list and the questions? This sounds like a fantastic activity for my design students! Thanks...

Rita McLary
    West Olive MI

• 5.  RE: Technical Theatre Activity

Posted 03-02-2015 10:53

I've attached two Word docs - if pdfs are better, I am happy to do that also (but I thought it might be more helpful to be able to edit!).

This was actually written to be used by a substitute on a day I was out.  The group was a mixed 6, 7, 8th grade group, and it was one of their first activities (so they didn't have a vocabulary base yet).

Mostly, it got the students to look at loads of different set designs, and to think about what a set designer aims to do.  The students would have happily spent days just looking at photos online!

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

Attachment(s)

• 6.  RE: Technical Theatre Activity

Posted 02-26-2015 09:47
    How about supplying a play with which all of your students are familiar and have them create a pinterest board of design ideas? Quick and easy way to starting researching.  We did this for a contemporary "Alice in Wonderland" and the students used it for costuming the work, too.

Kelly McCain
    Addison TX