Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Bang Bang You're Dead

Posted 04-18-2018 23:49
    I read somewhere that you don't have to pay for the rights to produce the play Bang Bang You're Dead and you aren't suppose to charge an audience to see it. Is that true? Has anyone done the show before? What was your experience like?

------------------------------
    Brian Edgecomb
    Bedgecomb@gstarschool.org
    Palm Springs FL

• 2.  RE: Bang Bang You're Dead

Posted 04-19-2018 07:50
    yes, it's true. No charge to you/no admission to be charged.
    My group performed the play both locally and at the Edinburgh Fringe. It's a great ensemble piece with plenty of room for creativity. Very intense.
    I'd recommend it. A great play for post-show discussion.

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://bit.ly/EdStages
    http://bit.ly/RWTEOview

• 3.  RE: Bang Bang You're Dead

Posted 04-19-2018 09:35
    As I recall, Bang Bang You're Dead has a short run time. Has anyone ever paired it with something to have a full evening performance? Another 45 minute show centered on shootings?

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 4.  RE: Bang Bang You're Dead

Posted 04-19-2018 11:14

Certainly when it came out, the idea was that Bang Bang You're Dead was free. It used to have a website, which I think was bangbangyouredead.com, but it's gone, and in Googling the stage version, nothing official came up in the top results, at least.

The Wikipedia page is here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bang_Bang_You%27re_Dead_(play)

While that's not necessarily the bible for anything, Wikipedia does note: "As the playwright intends Bang Bang You're Dead to raise awareness of school violence, it may be performed without payment of royalties, as long as the performance is not for profit, and subject to certain other conditions."

And yes, it is a one-act, so if you want a full evening, you'll want to add another play. (I was on a double bill with it back in New York City maybe a decade or so ago, after which we did a talkback--the playwright, Bill Mastrosimone, is a lovely guy.)

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 5.  RE: Bang Bang You're Dead

Posted 04-21-2018 13:42
    Any recommendations on similar pieces to pair it with? Really thinking about doing this.

---------------------------------
    Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO
    ---------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Bang Bang You're Dead

Posted 04-19-2018 13:08
    It was true that the script was free when I did the show over 10 years ago.  Because of the content, I had an administrator sit in on a rehearsal.  He was so impressed that he asked if we could do it as an in-school presentation ...AND do it simultaneously in 2 venues (the auditorium and the gym) so the entire student body could see it.  While that idea made me crazy, we did it.  The performance was followed immediately with a sort of talk back with led by a guidance counselor.  It was well received.