Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  blocking notation

Posted 11-01-2016 14:27

Hello- I am looking for a resource on the Schneider Notation System. I used it exclusively in college and I now need a refresher. My stage managers also seem to like Schneider blocking but I have lost my training materials after years of heavy use. I am happy to purchase a book or materials, but haven't had much luck searching. I'm wondering if this system is dated and/or unpopular? Personally, I love it. Suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

------------------------------
    Lindsey Fifield
    Guidance Counselor/Director/Thespian Advisor
    Canton NY

• 2.  RE: blocking notation

Posted 11-01-2016 14:54

I'm not personally familiar with Schneider -- whatever notation we do is ad hoc and very idiosyncratic.  This Stage Manager's Handbook from Hofstra has a notation Glossary in the back, deep within one of the Appendicies, though -- page 102 or so.  Hope that helps.

Russell Paulette
    Rappahannock County Public Schools
    Washington VA

• 3.  RE: blocking notation

Posted 11-02-2016 06:12

Take a look at this (Prezi) The Art and Craft of Stage Management

Prezi remove preview
    The Art and Craft of Stage Management
    The Art and Craft of Stage Management by Doris Schneider Intro to Stage Management, Fall Quarter 2013 Final Project Compiled and Presented by Aiden Kent The Craft Preparation Comfort Notation Activity! "The beginning stage manager must focus on craft until it is second nature and then move onto the next level.
    View this on Prezi >

John (Jerf) Friedenberg
    Director Of Theatre
    Wake Forest University Dept of Theatre & Dance
    Winston-salem NC