Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Not a True Elective

Posted 01-02-2021 14:06

We'll be continuing our 100% virtual learning thru the end of March, and as we look to begin our spring semester in 2 weeks, I am facing one of my biggest challenges. I have about 40 students, mostly freshman (who have yet to actually be on our campus, sadly), who are enrolled in my beginning drama class. None of the students chose this class, but were placed in it. Typically I'll have a small amount who didn't choose in/among the larger number who did and there is a cool influence that takes place. This is also my largest class size ever (which may be norm for other schools?). So...I think for starters, since none of them chose the elective, I may do a first day survey to see what among the topics they would most interested in learning about and give them a chance to offer up ideas as well. If we were in person, different scenario, I wouldn't feel so much at a loss for what to do – what would you all recommend? I think my biggest concern is what we all face with DL: motivation, interest, buy-in, etc. Especially when it comes to theatre games, etc. on Zoom. Thanks in advance everyone!

Best,

Ms. Sampley

Jody Sampley   | Theatre Arts/Digital Media Arts/AP 2-D Design Educator

Aspire Langston Hughes Academy

2050 West Lane Stockton, CA 95205

Main Office:  209- 943- 2389  •  Cell: 209-662-2008

FOUNDING DIRECTOR OF LHA'S AFTERSCHOOL ACTING PROGRAM

TITAN DRAMA PRODUCTIONS!

Be Dramatic. Join Titan Drama Productions!

image001.png@01D68426.83A17AB0

"This is precisely the time when artists go to work.  There is no time for despair,

no place for self pity, no need for silence, no room for fear.  We speak.  We write. 

We do language.  That is how civilizations heal."  ~Toni Morrison

• 2.  RE: Not a True Elective

Posted 01-04-2021 13:32
    I think you're taking the right approach. Find out what they might be interested in learning about and get their buy-in that way.

------------------------------
    Kaila Schwartz
    Theatre Arts, Director
    Milpitas High School
    ------------------------------