Open Forum

View Only

LED Cyclorama Lighting Instruments

• 1.  LED Cyclorama Lighting Instruments

Posted 11-10-2015 09:30

Has anyone had experience purchasing LED cyc lights? I'm looking at several different brands and the Altman stands out bu the Spotlight LED 300 RGBW looks good but it's Italian made and I'm now sure if it is supported well in the USA.

Thanks for any help.

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 2.  RE: LED Cyclorama Lighting Instruments

Posted 11-11-2015 18:17

I purchased PLCycs from Strand a couple of years ago though Vincent Lighting and am pretty happy with them. I actually did a shoot out between those and the Altman and preferred the color of the Strand. Just my two cents.

James Davis
    Technical Director
    Detroit Country Day School
    Troupe #5594
    Beverly Hills MI

• 3.  RE: LED Cyclorama Lighting Instruments

Posted 11-12-2015 19:09

Hello!

We just installed 10 instruments for our 40' x 25' cyclorama. They are ETC Lustr+ with the Source 4 LED CYC attachments on each one. They are amazingly bright when you need them and as long as you have the light board to handle all of the channels/universes you will be well served.

W. Kerr

Warren Kerr
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Auburn School District
    Auburn WA

• 4.  RE: LED Cyclorama Lighting Instruments

Posted 11-13-2015 10:15

I have ChromaQ color force 48-inch lights and they , when they work, they are great, EXCEPT I have had problems with them flipping out and strobing and flickering on and off.  It has happened to 3 different units, and I want to pull my hair out.  Anyone know what might cause this?

Chris Fallows

Theatre Director

Heritage High School

Brentwood, CA

The Liberty Union High School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, or disability.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission, including any attachments, may contain confidential information only for use by the intended recipients. Any privileges or confidentiality afforded under the law are not waived by virtue of this having been sent by electronic mail. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive messages for the addressee), you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute this message (or any information contained in or attached to it) to anyone. If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail or by telephone at 925.634.2166 and delete the transmission. Thank you.

­­  

• 5.  RE: LED Cyclorama Lighting Instruments

Posted 11-13-2015 10:43

My next question is how did you afford to purchase the LED cyc lights? They are so expensive!!

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 6.  RE: LED Cyclorama Lighting Instruments

Posted 11-13-2015 13:06

John, at a recent conference, a lighting seller was telling me that it might not be entirely cost-efficient to go with the full-on $2,000+ each LED replacements. He was recommending something more like $400 a unit, which would mean you could get 10 instead of 2. His logic was that the LEDs start to fade after a number of years (within 5 to 10), and his thing was that if you are going to add or replace lighting with LEDs, if you go with the LEDs you would want to buy all of them at the same time so that they 'fade together.' His other point was that lighting technology is moving along at such a cracking pace, that within 5 years (about the lifespan of your LED lights) you would refresh the lights again with a similar unit you started with, but it would be 5 years 'newer' (and therefore 'better').

I don't know if that helps you, but it sounded like reasonable logic. Are there any lighting folks who could confirm or debunk? Because getting 20 $400 LED lights sounds a lot more feasible than $2500 units! I would love to get me some LEDs...

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 7.  RE: LED Cyclorama Lighting Instruments

Posted 11-13-2015 14:09

Oh, I agree. I've been told the same thing and my research shows that. But, I don't have the money to make that large of a purchase.

Not whining because I know others are in worse circumstances but we are in a 50 year old theatre with the original lighting system. We just put in a new ETC light board but had to purchase a Fleenor unit so that our analog dimmers could talk to the digital board. The cost of the unit could have almost paid for new dimmers but we can't install them due to our two-pin lighting system. Plus the need for a $120,000 upgrade to our rigging system to bring it up to code.

AND, the performing arts high school here is having their entire building renovated and it was built in the late 70's, long after our theatre was built. And we have more theatre students, only two teachers as opposed to their 8(!),  Do I sound bitter? I'm fine, really.........

Venting over. :)

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 8.  RE: LED Cyclorama Lighting Instruments

Posted 11-13-2015 14:49

John, I'm so sorry!

:(

Oh for a rich sympathetic donor!

All together now...'If I were a rich man....'

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 9.  RE: LED Cyclorama Lighting Instruments

Posted 11-13-2015 18:05

Yes, I know I'm crying on the shoulders of people that have many reasons to cry, too!

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 10.  RE: LED Cyclorama Lighting Instruments

Posted 11-16-2015 17:01

John, 

My brother is forever telling me to go after grants, particularly Packard Foundation. They are highly interested in the arts and education. I just haven't had the time to do so. Maybe next summer.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 11.  RE: LED Cyclorama Lighting Instruments

Posted 11-17-2015 09:23

An excellent value can be found with CHAUVET OVATION LED CYC UNITS. Great lights for a good value.

Donnie Bryan
    Department Chair for Visual and Performing Arts
    Nashville TN