Open Forum

View Only

Help!! Musical for two separate rehearsal groups?

• 1.  Help!! Musical for two separate rehearsal groups?

Posted 01-10-2018 11:17
    ​Ok, so I realize I have created this monster for myself, and I can only think of one way to perfectly solve this problem...I need a musical that can be performed with essentially two different casts.  An inexpensive show with multiple stories that can be rehearsed separately? Or maybe A show within a show where one troupe can perform one story and one the other story?

Just wondering if this exists?  We did Mary Hall Surface's "Sing Down the Moon" from Dramatic Publishing in the fall, and this type of show would have been perfect for my situation now. It had four separate stories that connected together, like an anthology. I was able to rehearse each scene separately and then pull the show together. But now I need another one like this!

Why you ask?  I have a high school drama class, who are quite deserving of parts, who will rehearse during the school day, and I have a middle school drama group, who are also quite deserving of parts and the future of my program, who will have to rehearse after school.  And I only have the time and energy for one show. 

I realize I probably just need to pull those who really want a part and do all rehearsals after school...

But I figured, hey, it was worth a shot to pick your brains!! Oh and emphasis on inexpensive.... I spent way too much money on my fall show!

Thank you for your help!

------------------------------
    Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Statenville GA

• 2.  RE: Help!! Musical for two separate rehearsal groups?

Posted 01-11-2018 07:44
    What about Seussical Jr.? Have your junior high kids be the Who's and your high school kids be the jungle creatures?  

You'll need an after-school rehearsal for Jo Jo and Horton for  "Alone in the Universe." You'll probably want to include everyone in "Oh the thinks..." opening and closing, but you could have after-school rehearsals for those numbers and that the kids must attend to be in those numbers.  If the kids have conflicts, with those rehearsals no problem, they are still in the show, just not in the opening and closing.

The junior version comes with a track so you won't have to hire musicians and costumes and sets can be very simple.  

You will probably have to pay full royalties for the show since you have high school kids in it, but it will be based on a percentage of your projected box office so be specific in your application to MTI about how many people you really think will come.

Good luck!
    --
    John Whapham
    Theatre Director
    Sycamore High School

This email and any attachments contain information that is, or may be, covered by state/federal student privacy laws or electronic communication privacy laws and it may also be considered confidential and proprietary in nature. This email and any response to it may constitute a public record, and therefore may be made available upon request in accordance with Ohio public records law (ORC 149.43).

If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have received this communication in error and then immediately delete it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

• 3.  RE: Help!! Musical for two separate rehearsal groups?

Posted 01-11-2018 09:47
    Look at The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon by Don Zolidis. Each story can be rehearsed separately and there are tons of parts. Very very funny - my students and audiences loved it!

Christine Izmirian
    Lakewood CO

• 4.  RE: Help!! Musical for two separate rehearsal groups?

Posted 01-11-2018 11:10
    What about Oliver!. The high school students could play the adult roles and the middle schoolers could play the orphans and Fagan's pickpockets. It still gives your middle school kids some good roles: Oliver and Dodger. In fact the kids sing a lot of songs, you may need to bolster the pickpockets with some of your high school students.

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 5.  RE: Help!! Musical for two separate rehearsal groups?

Posted 01-11-2018 13:11
    Not sure if this would work for you, but when I directed The Wiz, we had an older ensemble and a younger ensemble. The younger students (grades 5 - 8) were the munchkins and the flying monkeys. The older ensemble served as the Trees, Winkies, and Emerald City Citizens. All of the main roles were older students (grades 9 - 12). The Wiz is an expensive show, but maybe there are others like this?

• 6.  RE: Help!! Musical for two separate rehearsal groups?

Posted 01-11-2018 14:22
    I like the suggestions already made.  You may want to consider also, "Musical of Musicals: The Musical"  Hilarious show in the vein of Forbidden Broadway.  The high school students could do the more mature stories, and the junior high the tamer versions.

Mike Hancey
    Musical Theatre, Drama, Theatre Guild, & Theater Manager
    Laramie High School
    Laramie, WY

• 7.  RE: Help!! Musical for two separate rehearsal groups?

Posted 01-11-2018 15:44
    There are some great suggestions already on the thread, but I was thinking of Everything I Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten. It can be done either as a musical or play. Some great parts, all in small sections.

Joyce Thrift
    Theater Teacher
    Antioch CA

• 8.  RE: Help!! Musical for two separate rehearsal groups?

Posted 01-12-2018 05:19
    Working by Stephen Schwartz has separate songs that you could piece together with just a few rehearsals. Great music!

Andrea Rassler
    Concord NC

• 9.  RE: Help!! Musical for two separate rehearsal groups?

Posted 01-12-2018 07:36
    Have you thought about doing two separate <g class="gr_ gr_21 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="21" data-gr-id="21">one act</g> plays? Maybe two that are tied together thematically? Last year I added a spring theatre festival after our musical and the only way I could do it to hang onto my sanity after the musical was to produce three different one acts from three different classes so it wasn't after school at all. I had students direct each one as well. 

-Will

William Healy
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Henrico VA

• 10.  RE: Help!! Musical for two separate rehearsal groups?

Posted 01-12-2018 08:18
    ​Thank you all so very much!  I really have some great pieces to choose from. I am excited for the show ahead, and always love a new challenge. Furthermore,  I am very grateful to have this community, to think how I survived so many years without it....

Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Statenville GA

• 11.  RE: Help!! Musical for two separate rehearsal groups?

Posted 01-12-2018 10:24
    Hi Analiese, 

I met a teacher at a Theatre Conference who had two sections of a musical theatre class and produced FORBIDDEN BROADWAY'S GREATEST HITS by teaching the opening and closing numbers both sections (to be combined on Monday of tech week), and then dividing the remaining 17 numbers between both sections based on the talent in each class. They only came together for tech week and apparently had a successful production. 

Feel free to email me if you have any additional questions, jimh@theatricalrights.com.  

Jim Hoare
    Vice President, Education & Community Initiatives
    TRW
    New York NY

• 12.  RE: Help!! Musical for two separate rehearsal groups?

Posted 01-17-2018 12:27
    Ever thought of "The Apple Tree"? A musical in three acts, each act a completely separate show: The Diary of Adam and Eve (only 3 characters), The Lady or the Tiger (three lead roles plus and ensemble), Passionella (three lead characters plus an ensemble). This might solve your problem. Its a great show with a lot of freedom of interpretation and great music.

Arthur Mendini
    Theatre Academy Instructor
    Vineland NJ