Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  My Fair Lady - Dialect Coach

Posted 11-30-2017 10:15
    We are doing My Fair Lady after winter break.  If you have done this show before, how do you handle doing dialect coaching?  I have no experience and neither does our vocal director. 

Suggestions?

--
    Nancy Gibson

Theater Teacher
    ITS Troupe 8259 Director
    Eagle Theater Director
    Case High School
    262-619-4200 ex 5317

• 2.  RE: My Fair Lady - Dialect Coach

Posted 12-01-2017 08:35
    Check out Paul Meier Dialect services.

--
    John Whapham
    Theatre Director
    Sycamore High School

This email and any attachments contain information that is, or may be, covered by state/federal student privacy laws or electronic communication privacy laws and it may also be considered confidential and proprietary in nature. This email and any response to it may constitute a public record, and therefore may be made available upon request in accordance with Ohio public records law (ORC 149.43).

If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have received this communication in error and then immediately delete it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

• 3.  RE: My Fair Lady - Dialect Coach

Posted 12-01-2017 08:40
    we checked out a local university and found a student who just took a dialect class and enlisted her help!!!

------------------------------
    [Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]

• 4.  RE: My Fair Lady - Dialect Coach

Posted 12-01-2017 08:43
    I also highly recommend Paul Meier! He is especially good with British dialects. I have used his services through Skype as well as receiving and using his dialect books and cds.

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 5.  RE: My Fair Lady - Dialect Coach

Posted 12-01-2017 13:47
    I second Paul Meier.  I exclusively use his process when teaching dialects and accents.  I was fortunate to have him as a professor in college.  He is absolutely fantastic!

He has RP and Cockney books, which are the two you will need for My Fair Lady, on his website.  He uses several techniques, visual and aural, to teach.  He really makes it quite simple in my opinion.

Jeremy Riggs
    Director of Theatre
    Blue Valley North
    bvntheatre.org

• 6.  RE: My Fair Lady - Dialect Coach

Posted 12-03-2017 08:00
    I was going to use Meier too but found a parent who was born in England and had a cockney mother.  He worked with the cast a couple of days a week individually and in groups when they weren't needed on stage.

Karen Malone
    Teacher
    Commack NY