Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Commedia Show Large Cast (at least 30)

Posted 05-14-2015 07:50

Hello!

Does anyone know of a good Commedia show (preferably a one-act) that is large cast (or can be expanded to 30 or more actors)? Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Patricia Giles
    Theatre Director
    Columbus GA

• 2.  RE: Commedia Show Large Cast (at least 30)

Posted 05-14-2015 10:25

Have you seen Hillary DePiano's versions of the Love of Three Oranges? There's a one-act and full-length - the one-act goes up to 30 cast size, the full-length is 40.

The Love of Three Oranges (one-act version)}

Playscripts.com remove preview
    The Love of Three Oranges (one-act version)}
    The Love of Three Oranges (one-act version) | Prince Tartaglia's life is filled with misery until an evil witch and her equally evil henchmen curse him to search for three giant oranges.
    View this on Playscripts.com >

Don Zolidis
    Cedar Park TX

• 3.  RE: Commedia Show Large Cast (at least 30)

Posted 05-15-2015 07:12

A Gap in Generations by Jerry Blunt is a great show. It's not true Commedia, but done in the style. It is full length, but a relatively short full length. It calls for a cast of 14, but that could be expanded. When I directed it, I added members of the Affamati Company for atmosphere and did a lot of audience interaction.

Robert Smith
    VA Co-Chapter Director
    James Madison High School
    Vienna VA

• 4.  RE: Commedia Show Large Cast (at least 30)

Posted 05-16-2015 13:44

I agree with Robert about A Gap In Generations.  My students and I had a great time doing that show, and had a great audience reaction.  We also had a really fun time doing Scapino, from Dramatic Publishing.  The students thought I had lost my mind, that it wasn't funny, and the show was going to be a bust.  They changed their mind during the first performance, as the audience laughed at every bit, and absolutely loved the performance.  We had a great run, and a great time.

Bob Fowler 

Robert Fowler
    Co-Developer
    Interactive Educational Video, LLC
    Chesterfield MO

• 5.  RE: Commedia Show Large Cast (at least 30)

Posted 05-22-2015 09:28

You can also consider having students write their own commedia show, as we have done. After they have learned about the stock characters, you can hand out a few simple scenarios and they can begin by improvising dialogue in true commedia fashion and then script it and add lazzi. If you have a relationship with the art dept, art students can design and make the masks. Best of luck!

Dawn DeMaio
    Wantagh NY