Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Teacher evaluation based on play performance

Posted 11-20-2021 14:26
    Has anyone invited their admin to attend their school production and use that experience to fulfill their teacher evaluation? 
    Thank you for your responses!

------------------------------
    Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe 839
    Galt High School

• 2.  RE: Teacher evaluation based on play performance

Posted 11-21-2021 08:36
    Yes! It was actually encouraged at my previous school which was a performing arts magnet school. It ticked all the boxes and didn't require the teacher to plan an “observation” lesson.
    Best,
    Garry

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 3.  RE: Teacher evaluation based on play performance

Posted 11-21-2021 08:58

Sonja,

It is an important part of the administrator role to be present at all forms of extra-curricular activities; thus, they should attend your plays just as they attend sports events, debates, concerts, etc.  Seeing your students perform in a show you have produced is part of demonstrating what students have learned in your classroom.  I would, however, be wary of only having an administrator see the final product of your (and your students') work. For a teacher evaluation, the administrator should see the full range of what you do with students- your in-class interactions, how you adapt your teaching to the individual student needs as they arise, the structure and organization of a theatre lesson (which is often very different from what is seen in a 'core' subject class), etc. Absolutely invite administrators to your shows... but make sure they see what you do with your students on a daily basis in the classroom. The process is necessary for an evaluation of your teaching practice. 

Suzanne Katz

• 4.  RE: Teacher evaluation based on play performance

Posted 11-21-2021 11:21
    No, but I once took an administrator on a field trip to a local theatre to see a play. She had a great time and gave me a great evaluation.

Billy Houck

• 5.  RE: Teacher evaluation based on play performance

Posted 11-21-2021 14:43
    Related to this is the reality that for University professors and faculty, their public performances, directing projects, designs, etc. are considered the equivalent of published works and thus are certainly reviewed and weighed as part of their evaluation for tenure and promotion. 

• 6.  RE: Teacher evaluation based on play performance

Posted 11-21-2021 16:22
    I don't believe that attending a performance would have been sufficient to complete a summative evaluation in NC, but I did tell a couple of administrators that I didn't see how they could do a fair evaluation of my work without seeing a performance.

CJ Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    NC