Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  murder mystery ideas

Posted 08-13-2018 06:32
    I'm looking for a good, one act murder mystery that has a somewhat large cast, heavier on females but maybe can be gender flexible with possibilities for extras. I don't have a lot of budget and like to do minimal sets and don't have a lot in the way of costumes. My students want to do a serious/spooky one, and I'm fine with that or a one in the noir style, but I also know there are a lot of comedy murder mysteries out there too. I am in a small conservative town so nothing too risque. Thanks for any suggestions!
    Rachel Cunningham
    Elwood Jr/Sr HS Guidance Counselor
    765-552-9854 ext 1156

• 2.  RE: murder mystery ideas

Posted 08-13-2018 13:50
    I highly recommend checking out 'Mysteries by Moushey'. Eileen Moushey has written dozens of witty, fun, interactive murder mystery plays. We did 'Trouble at the Talent Show' and apart from paying for the scripts and royalties, the show cost me nothing to produce. We did do it as a dinner theatre, but we managed to get away with dinner being pizza, soda and salad. It was probably one of the most fun evenings we've ever hosted!

What makes Moushey a great option is that she provides very thorough instructions, with the flexibility to scale it up or down according to your needs (not wanting to do dinner theatre? No problem!) Full and thorough instructions are provided for the whole process (especially as the scripts lend themselves to a high level of interaction with the audience and participation). 

I did 'Trouble' during my last year as a troupe director in Florida. If I was still doing that job, I would be doing a Moushey play probably every year. The first time you utilize her scripts is a slightly higher charge, but after that there is a discounted price for returning customers. She is also very easy to work with if you wanted to change or amend things in the scripts, depending on your community standards, as long as you talk to her. She is very approachable, and super sweet, and great to work with. Again, this was probably one of the most unexpectedly fun productions we did, and a huge part of that was because of the script and more importantly, the instructions to help you, your performers, and your audience have an excellent and enjoyable night out. The scripts are not Arthur Miller material, but they work great for their intended purpose. 

Good luck! 

Home
    Mysteries by Moushey - Comedy-Mystery Scripts remove preview
    Home
    Mysteries by Moushey produces and sells interactive, comedy-mystery scripts and production packages that are perfect for theatre performances, schools, dinner theatre and fundraisers.
    View this on Mysteries by Moushey - Comedy-Mystery Scripts >

------------------------------
    Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 3.  RE: murder mystery ideas

Posted 08-14-2018 12:15
    Murder's in the Heir is my personal recommendation!!!
    Murder's in the Heir is an exceptional play and the best part is audience participation. I love how Pioneer Drama counts all the lines for you and every actor has an opportunity to be the killer. We had people come multiple nights to see who the killer was going to be that night. Blocking the last scene was challenging for multiple killers but it was a great production.

Denique Morris
    Teacher
    Cerritos CA