Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Chef Louis - The Little Mermaid

Posted 12-06-2021 11:57
    We are starting auditions today for The Little Mermaid. We really struggle with getting guys to audition. Does anyone have experience casting Chef Louis as a female in the full production? Does it work vocally? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

------------------------------
    Cody Walls
    Community School of the Arts
    AR

• 2.  RE: Chef Louis - The Little Mermaid

Posted 12-07-2021 07:11
    I double-cast some silly boys as Chef Louis, so I don't have experience guiding girls through that song vocally, but it's more of a character role than a singing role so I think you could pretty easily cast a strong female actor in the role! We cast a female Scuttle, Flounder, and Sebastian in our production and it worked out really well for us! (Sebastian stole the show)

Sadie Andros
    Theatre Director
    Cape Henlopen High School
    DE

• 3.  RE: Chef Louis - The Little Mermaid

Posted 12-07-2021 10:57
    I cast a female in the Jr version.  It actually worked very well.

Christina Myatt
    Director of Theatre
    Pleasant Valley High School
    IA

• 4.  RE: Chef Louis - The Little Mermaid

Posted 12-07-2021 15:15
    We are currently in rehearsals for The Little Mermaid.  Weirdly, Chef Louis is more of a one and done, sort of walk on role. Character-wise, he is less masculine than he is just FRENCH. After looking at the script I think it would be plausible to double cast Chef Louis with any of the following characters: Scuttle, Flounder (depending on how old your Flounder is), Triton, Flotsam/Jetsam, Pilot. 
    Ultimately, I think putting a mustache on any actor or actress and letting them go wild with comedy wouldn't be a bad option either.

Hannah Agee
    Emmanuel Christian Academy