Open Forum

View Only

The Play That Goes Wrong

• 1.  The Play That Goes Wrong

Posted 11-04-2021 11:25
    Hello, again! :)

I had just decided which play to do next year, and then I was introduced to The Play That Goes Wrong and loved it! Anyone have any experience with it? How did it go?

Seeing all the comments about The Curious Savage also confused me. I did it 12 years ago and loved it... Now, I am back to where I was -- no idea which play to choose...

------------------------------
    Marta Carvalho
    Drama Director
    Carlucci American International School of Lisbon, Portugal

• 2.  RE: The Play That Goes Wrong

Posted 11-15-2021 13:04
    Hello Marta!

We just piloted the HS version of The Play That Goes Wrong and I would love to chat if you are available about our experience!

My email is mtpeters@conroeisd.net and if you email me we can set up a time to Zoom.

Matthew Peters
    Theater Teacher
    TX

• 3.  RE: The Play That Goes Wrong

Posted 11-26-2021 12:09
    I just watched the high school version at Thespian Festival last weekend and this version really does work for high school!  I saw the production in NYC and thought "we could never do all these effects!", but my students loved it and I know that will want to do it now.  LOL

Natalie (Saunders) Dommer
    Pasadena Memorial High School
    Pasadena, Texas

• 4.  RE: The Play That Goes Wrong

Posted 11-27-2021 11:48
    How many actors total can be in the show? What is the max?

Jordan Fox
    Theater Faculty
    Windward School
    CA

• 5.  RE: The Play That Goes Wrong

Posted 11-29-2021 15:03
    Does anyone know where to find the High School version of this?  I'm only familiar with the original and the One-act version.  I'd love to check it out!

Amy Neal Bussey
    Theatre Director, English and Drama Teacher
    Stuarts Draft High School
    Stuarts Draft, Virginia

• 6.  RE: The Play That Goes Wrong

Posted 11-30-2021 06:57

We just produced the One-Act (which is the High School version, I think) at our school. It was student directed, which was a HUGE undertaking but went so well (in that the right things went wrong, most of the time.) It is a cast of 7 but we had TWICE that many people backstage to make all the magic.

It is a wonderful show and was a lot of fun for the students as performers, technical design team of creatives, & our much needed backstage ninjas.

Lea Marshall

Theatre Teacher

& Thespian Troupe #1429 Director

@ Leon High School

MarshallL1@leonschools.net

LeonTheatre.com

Text, letter  Description automatically generated

Text  Description automatically generatedA brick wall with signs on it  Description automatically generated with low confidenceText  Description automatically generated

*SUNSHINE LAW AND PUBLIC RECORDS CAUTION: Florida has a very broad Public Records Law. Virtually all written communications to or from School Board of Leon County, Florida Personnel are public records available to the public and media upon request. E-mail sent or received on the LCSB system will be considered public and will only be withheld from disclosure if deemed confidential pursuant to State Law. Individual student records are deemed confidential.

• 7.  RE: The Play That Goes Wrong

Posted 12-13-2021 22:47
    For the HS Edition we had 10 actors and then our technicians helped with all the backstage stuff. Needed all 20 (cast and crew) to pull it off!

Matthew Peters
    Theater Teacher
    TX

• 8.  RE: The Play That Goes Wrong

Posted 12-02-2021 23:13
    Good evening,

I have not seen the one act but have seen the Broadway version of the show. Have also seen two other productions by this troupe. Outside the technical challenges, there are a lot of physical challenges for the actors.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 9.  RE: The Play That Goes Wrong

Posted 12-03-2021 08:03

Crit is correct! Physical AND technical challenges abound...

Examples:

• All the walls fall at the end of the play
    • Various items fall off the walls and then stay up again later
    • Fire on set (we totally faked this one and just ACTED like a small fire had occurred)
    • Characters knocked out by a door opening
    • Unconscious characters being dragged through a window
    • A person handcuffed to a chaise lounge drag the chaise all over the stage. One and off stage. Eventually that dragging chaise knocks the set down.
    • Carrying a "dead" character off just on two poles (after the stretcher "breaks" in a previous scene)
    • Characters spitting out their drinks on stage (that is just on the gross effect list)
    • Characters holding items up high on the wall with both hands while trying to answer a phone and pass the receiver to another character.
    • There are gunshots and guns (we used bright plastic water guns) on stage
    • Stage fighting (various times)
    • Door coming off the hinges (we did not manage to achieve this one very effectively)

I will say that my students tackled these challenges with vim, vigor, and a lot of creative ideas, and we did TONS of trial and error and trying again with a lot of the effects. We never perfected the fire in the coal shuttle in a way that worked well. So, the actors just performed that one without any flames or smoke. By that point, our budget was spent and so was our creativity!

We did have our set walls printed by a local printing company on PVC and that is lightweight. We had some issues with the corners breaking off the PVC as it fell (see my earlier comment about trial and error) so we glued foam pipe insulation around each piece that had to fall (including our dog portrait.) We used so much pipe insulation, superglue, magnets, & velcro that the Home Depot people just greeted me each afternoon with laughter and some of the associates at Home Depot came to see the show, we were such good pals at the end of this adventure.

Here is a link to our photos if you would like to see the set (before it fell and after) https://leamarshall.smugmug.com/Leon-theatre/The-one-act-play-that-goes-wrong/

Lea Marshall

Theatre Teacher

& Thespian Troupe #1429 Director

@ Leon High School

MarshallL1@leonschools.net

LeonTheatre.com

Text, letter  Description automatically generated

Text  Description automatically generatedA brick wall with signs on it  Description automatically generated with low confidenceText  Description automatically generated

*SUNSHINE LAW AND PUBLIC RECORDS CAUTION: Florida has a very broad Public Records Law. Virtually all written communications to or from School Board of Leon County, Florida Personnel are public records available to the public and media upon request. E-mail sent or received on the LCSB system will be considered public and will only be withheld from disclosure if deemed confidential pursuant to State Law. Individual student records are deemed confidential.

• 10.  RE: The Play That Goes Wrong

Posted 12-03-2021 05:44
    Hello!
    Thank you so much for all your replies. :)
    Could you please give me a couple of examples of technical challenges?

Thank you and happy Friday!

Marta Carvalho
    Drama Director
    Carlucci American International School of Lisbon, Portugal

• 11.  RE: The Play That Goes Wrong

Posted 12-13-2021 22:54
    Greetings all! My name is Matthew Peters and my department piloted the HS Edition of The Play That Goes Wrong. There are currently only two versions to license, the Broadway/West End Version, and the One Act. We worked with Mischief, Dramatists, and Broadway Licensing to create a HS Edition of this show. The One-Act Play That Goes Wrong can be performed by high schools, but Dramatists Play Service will be releasing a version specifically for high schools in mid-January. This is the version we piloted at The Woodlands High School and performed at Texas Thespians this fall. Stay posted to see when the DPS play page updates: https://www.dramatists.com/cgi-bin/db/single.asp?key=5523&keysearch=the+play+that+goes+wrong&options=all&limitResult=all&limitResult1=allgenres&total=all&male=all&female=all&limitFull=&limitShort=&limitMusical=&limit1Drama=&limit1Comedy=&melodrama=&romantic=&tragedy=&dark=&farce=&satire=&mystery=&thriller=&historical=

If you guys have any questions I would love to answer them, just email me at mtpeters@conroeisd.net. Thanks!

Matthew Peters
    Theater Teacher
    TX