Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Get published?

Posted 11-04-2021 14:09
    My students created a truly remarkable piece of original theatre: an immersive choose your own adventure fantasy experience.  It's half haunted house - - - half escape room.  

I'm looking to get it published - but I don't even know where to begin. 

Any advice?

------------------------------
    Eric Hokanson
    Mountain View High School
    VA

• 2.  RE: Get published?

Posted 11-04-2021 15:04
    Stageplays.com.  There's a small fee.  Most other publishing houses will publish, but they require a professional production or major workshopping.  Stageplays does not.

Marie Miguel
    Chespeake, VA

• 3.  RE: Get published?

Posted 11-05-2021 09:24
    There should never be a fee to get published, and a publisher that is willing to publish every play that people submit is not one you want to be working with. 

There are numerous contests that your student can enter - youthPLAYS has one that results in publication, for instance. 

And plenty of publishers take plays for young people without needing a professional production - Theatrefolk comes to mind. 

• 4.  RE: Get published?

Posted 11-05-2021 22:30
    Actually, publishers who publish plays specifically written for schools almost never require professional productions, because professional companies aren't the market for those plays to begin with. Some publishers accept unsolicited submissions, like Brooklyn Publishers, Heuer, Pioneer Drama and Eldridge (and probably others). My own company, YouthPLAYS, accepts queries (we prefer produced plays, but a school production is perfect if it's a play for schools). A number of publishers--Playscripts, Theatrefolk, Stage Partners--either aren't accepting submissions at the moment or are only taking them from people they already publish.

Personally, I'd avoid "publishing" with anyone who requires the author to pay. If you created it, you should be getting paid, not the other way around.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Playwright/Managing Partner of YouthPLAYS
    Los Angeles, CA

• 5.  RE: Get published?

Posted 11-11-2021 21:06
    It's great to see some people in the know commenting on this.  I am working on an original play now and will be following.  Jonathan and Don, if I'm not mistaken, you wrote plays for your students or with them in mind (based on responses in other threads I've read).  Did you let the script compost for a while before the first production or did you just go for it?  We workshopped some of the scenes in my play last week and my students loved it.  Now I just have to finish the thing!  Thanks for your help.

K Lang

• 6.  RE: Get published?

Posted 11-12-2021 07:52
    I will be following this thread too.  I have four full length plays that I have written and am interested in publishing.  I will say that I am happy to share them with other schools looking for shows to perform without paying royalties so I can get some feedback or opinions on them before sending to a publisher.  I would be happy to stage someone else's show for the same reason.

Amy MacCord
    Musical Theatre Teacher
    Westwood Middle School
    FL