Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Easy Music - Jr. Musicals

Posted 10-21-2021 07:56
    Hi!
    I am a middle school theatre teacher with a background in tech theatre. The chorus teacher at my school has informed me that she will not be able to commit to an after-school musical this year due to her graduate program and health issues. 

Any suggestions on Jr-level musicals with easy to teach music? I have a musical background through instrumentation and I can vocally match pitch and hear if others are matching pitch. I could MAYBE pick out notes on a piano and that is the extent of my musical direction ability. 

I was thinking about a show like "Once Upon a Mattress" because 2 characters need to sing and the rest are just character performances. Thoughts? Suggestions? I have also been looking into "plays with music" but the only one I can find that has resources is "Peter and the Starcatcher" and I'm not sure our middle school could pull off a full-length play at this time. 

Thanks for all help/ suggestions!

------------------------------
    Olivia Robinette
    Moore Square Magnet Middle
    Raleigh, NC

• 2.  RE: Easy Music - Jr. Musicals

Posted 10-22-2021 07:51
    Hello,

I don't know if you are looking for a full-length musical, but I would recommend looking at Broadway Junior through MTI.  I have co-directed four from them and am currently co-directing a fifth, Disney's Moana Junior.  Junior shows are shortened versions of Broadway shows and are designed for junior high students.  They come with rehearsal and performance tracks and a large amount of resources.  You can make the shows as elaborate or as simple as you wish.  Go to MTI and check out the list of available shows.   I am sure you can find something that will fit your needs.

Sincerely,

Ken Robinson

Kenneth Robinson
    Drama Club Sponsor
    Wapahani High School
    Selma IN