Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Audition tips for King Sextimus?

Posted 11-30-2015 22:01

Hello!

We are doing Once Upon A Mattress this coming April and I've decided to hold the auditions before Christmas break. As I'm preparing the callbacks, I'm struggling with what to do with actors being called back for the King. He's mute the majority of the production. Any ideas?

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Jeanne-Marie Grewe
    Theatre Director
    Lake Mead Christian Academy
    Henderson NV

• 2.  RE: Audition tips for King Sextimus?

Posted 12-01-2015 07:20

Narrate the scene where he is trying to tell the Minstrel and the Jester about Harry and Larkin and have him act each line out. Also, the song about the birds and the bees with Dauntless is great as well. Finally, have him tell off the queen at the end. That should give you a good idea of what he can do. I  met Mary Rodgers the year before she passed and was pleased to tell her that she had written my favorite show to direct. Also excited to see they are mounting a revival of it on Broadway next year. Have fun!

Bruce Taws
    Panama City FL

• 3.  RE: Audition tips for King Sextimus?

Posted 12-01-2015 08:36

I love "Mattress!" I have had the actor auditioning for Sextimus exaggerate an important event in their lives using mime/body to illustrate and coaching them on "making it bigger" but clear. I also have a Dauntless read the "Boy Flower/Girl Flower" song while the Sextimus mimes the actions. The actor also needs to be able to take over vocally (and physically) at the end, so you may want to give a prompt that has to do with him finally finding his voice.

Hope that helps! Good luck and have fun!

Jennifer Jordan
    Drama and Dance Director
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 4.  RE: Audition tips for King Sextimus?

Posted 12-01-2015 10:02
    I gave my actors short scenes to impov mime.

Elizabeth Reed
    Theatre Teacher
    Standley Lake High School

• 5.  RE: Audition tips for King Sextimus?

Posted 12-01-2015 17:44

I've directed Mattress twice and don't have anything to add to the audition suggestions already given--but in terms of casting the role, I have one piece of advice that would not have occurred to me in advance.  I found much greater success the time that I cast a Sextimus who also played an instrument.  The timing of mime with the music is very tricky during Man to Man Talk, and having an actor who understood exactly what needed to happen at particular times in the music was hugely helpful. 

Have fun with the show!

Katherine Klekas
    Seattle WA

• 6.  RE: Audition tips for King Sextimus?

Posted 12-01-2015 19:38

Have him mime "Man to Man Talk."  Have him mime scene where he tells of Lady Larkin's problem.  Have him read scene when Sextimus gets his "voice."  This is a great role for someone who is not afraid to be creative with his "communication" skills.  Our King was wonderful!  Enjoy the show!  This was probably one of my favorite shows.  I was not too excited when we began, but I absolutely loved it!

Michael Stofko
    Teacher
    Wilkes Barre PA

• 7.  RE: Audition tips for King Sextimus?

Posted 12-04-2015 13:17

Thank you so much everyone! Auditions are Monday and I'm VERY excited!

Jeanne-Marie Grewe
    Theatre Director
    Lake Mead Christian Academy
    Henderson NV