Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  stage rigging inspections

Posted 09-12-2017 11:45
    I am in immediate need of stage rigging inspection and repairs.  Please share any contacts you may have.  I am in Kentucky, so the shorter travel distance the better.  I've already contacted J.R. Clancey and IWeiss has been contacted by our district.  The inspector must be insured. Thanks.

------------------------------
    Karen Feldhaus
    Owensboro KY

• 2.  RE: stage rigging inspections

Posted 09-12-2017 13:04
    We used Beck Studios in Milford, OH. Not expensive and a thorough inspection.

AP

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: stage rigging inspections

Posted 09-13-2017 09:40
    Hello.

I use a certified ETC, Inc. rep from Bandit Lites. The home office for Bandit is in Knoxville. They do great work worldwide and you are not that far from them. 

Ask for Chris Barbee and he will get you set up.

Donnie Bryan
    Department Chair for Visual and Performing Arts
    Nashville TN

• 4.  RE: stage rigging inspections

Posted 09-13-2017 12:11
      |   view attached
    Attached are some general considerations for planning Safety Assessments and Rigging Inspections.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 5.  RE: stage rigging inspections

Posted 09-14-2017 15:03

EVERYONE should have rigging/safety inspections about every two years (every year would be ideal, every three years seems to be more common). Congrats on getting your district to agree to doing yours! I'm using this as a 'teachable moment'… I'm probably preaching to the choir, because most of you know the value of a rigging inspection (or general safety inspection if you don't have a fly system), but many of you have a hard time convincing your administration to spend the money. Yes, a rigging inspection can be pricey - some inspectors have to come from out of town and need accommodation, and for a full sized theatre the rigging inspection can, and should, take 2 full days! - but consider the price of the alternative. Also – if your school or district is paying for regular inspections of their sports fields, gyms and equipment, then they should be paying for regular theatre inspections. Liability. Liability. Liability.

For those of you who haven't had a rigging (or general safety) inspection in your theatre, the inspection includes a visual inspection of the accessible components of the system (although some parts may be virtually impossible to view if they are above a grid that is close to the ceiling of the fly tower). The inspector will do a physical check of the system to assess if there are any hazardous conditions that might compromise the safety of those operating the system and those on stage while it is being operated. They should fully raise and lower each line (rope) to determine the condition of its functionality, and to look for things such as whether the ropes are frayed, determine the condition of the blocks, cables and other parts, and determine if any lines are out of weight. Most inspectors who come out to inspect your rigging will also look at other issues, such as your catwalks, egress, and fire safety red flags. Chances are most of you could tell your district what is unsafe in your theatre, but a professional safety inspection validates your findings, and also finds the items that are not so obvious to the user.  

As well as Teqniqal Systems, I also recommend Stagecraft Industries in Oregon – when I was managing theatres in Washington, I had them come out to three different theatres several times. Most rigging inspectors will travel, so you don't have to be tied to locale (like I did). But definitely use an experienced inspector from a reputable company such as these and others already mentioned.

After your inspection you will then receive a comprehensive written report, which will recommend any repairs or replacements, and also recommend any preventative maintenance. A safety inspection isn't worth anything if the district won't follow the recommendations.  Sadly I have yet to work for a school district that has completed the to-do list in these reports, regardless of their support for the inspections in the first place. But, one thing I would do was to take the report and divide the 'to-dos' into 5 categories. 1 – items that my students and myself can – safely! – take care of. 2 – items that my technicians can take care of. 3 – items that school custodians can take care of. 4 – items that district maintenance needs to take care of. And 5 – items that we need to hire a professional company to take care of. This way, I knew that at least the lists in categories 1and 2 were taken care of. Plus, it will increase the likelihood of the items in categories 3, 4 and 5 being taken care of, if the district maintenance director doesn't have to sift through a report regarding a facility the functionality of which (s)he doesn't understand. I highly recommend doing the leg work for your admin, as you understand your facility the best and it will increase the chance of the work getting done. Which is ultimately why you requested the safety inspection in the first place.

Beth Rand
    High School Theatre Operations Coach

Next HS Theatre Management Training for Drama Teachers online course: Fall Session starts Sept. 11 (I space still available). Winter Session starts Jan. 15 (limited to 8 students).

Author of "High School Theatre Operations" and "The High School Theatre Safety Manual" and several more books on Amazon.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 6.  RE: stage rigging inspections

Posted 09-15-2017 03:00
    Hi all

I am going to chime in with one clarification and some additional advice.  

Clarification: There is a difference between ETC and ETCP.  ETCP is the Entertainment Technician Certification Program and ETC is an awesome manufacturer of lighting and rigging equipment.  A person with an ETCP Certification had to demonstrate a decent history of education and professional service before being allowed to sit for the exam.  The exam is a four hour written test and must be passed with a decent percentage.  We all have photo IDs and are listed on the ETCP website.  In rigging, there are two certifications, "arena" and "theatre", and both certifications are for riggers, not inspectors.  There is no such thing as a certified inspector, although an ETCP certified theatre rigger would be a good choice for a person to do a theatre rigging inspection.

Information:  There is a lot of conflicting information out there about rigging inspections.  Some say every year, some say every two years, some say a thorough multi-day inspection, and some say a cursory visual is enough.  There is actually an ANSI standard that contains recommendations for rigging system inspections: ANSI E1.47 - 2017, Entertainment Technology - Recommended Guidelines for Entertainment Rigging System Inspections.  This document was created by the ESTA Technical Standards Program Rigging Working Group, and can be downloaded for FREE from the TSP website: tsp.etsa.org, and I also attached a copy to this post.  Because it is an ANSI standard, it may carry some weight in helping to shake loose some money from your administration for an inspection.

Advice:  
    > As an inspector myself, I strongly recommend that a venue alternate inspectors.  Bringing the same inspector back repeatedly means that they are typically looking for the same issues.  Every inspector is different and looks for different things.  Even if they are looking for the same things, different people look for them in different ways.  A different set of eyes means that your system is getting a variety of scrutiny, which is a good thing.
    > Be prepared to work with the inspector during the visit.  I personally like to have a crew of four "locals" who use the space regularly assist with the inspection.  If I am operating the system, I cannot watch it work, so I like to look, listen and feel while the systems are being operated.  The locals will also operate the system in a way that they are accustomed to working, so I am able to note any issue with the operation as well.  I am also able to ask the local crew if certain noises or actions of the system are "normal" and I can also find out if they have any concerns that I should look at.  They usually know their system pretty well :-).
    > If the inspection recommends total replacement of a lot of equipment, it might be worthwhile to get a second opinion.  The analogy I often use is your car - If you take your car in for an inspection and the mechanic recommends that you get your transmission replaced, I bet you would get a second opinion before dropping big bucks on a new transmission.  

I hope this is helpful.

All my best :-).

Tracy Nunnally
    NIU - Professor/TD/Area Head
    Vertigo - Owner/System Designer
    ETCP Certified Rigger/Trainer
    DeKalb, Illinois

• 7.  RE: stage rigging inspections

Posted 09-16-2017 11:26
    Hi All,

All good advice.

I would like to point out that USITT offers free rigging inspections to all secondary schools nation wide performed by riggers who are  ETCP certified.  This is an on going program and the next set of applications are due by November 15th.  You can find information at: Rigging Safety Initiative | USITT

Thank you,

Dan Culhane
    Wenger/J.R. Clancy
    Technical Business Development
    USITT- President Elect
    ETCP Certified Rigger
    Minneapolis, MN
    (Views expressed are my own, not my employer.)

• 8.  RE: stage rigging inspections

Posted 03-31-2022 16:08
    ESTA has requested that their documents not be posted in the EdTA forums, so we have removed the attached ANSI Standard shared. The most up-to-date documents from ESTA, including this standard, can be found on their published documents webpage: https://tsp.esta.org/tsp/documents/published_docs.php

Arista Hageman
    Website Product Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    OH