Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Favorite Small Cast shows?

Posted 05-07-2019 10:03
    Hello!  I'm looking for ideas for a very small cast show (2-4 actors, both genders) with excellent/challenging acting material anywhere from one act to short full length.  I need to somehow fit it into a season titled "Fantasies and Fairy Tales."  Bonus if it is a witty drama.  And it can really loosely fit into that theme.  What are your favorite small cast shows?

------------------------------
    Brooke Phillips
    Omaha NE

• 2.  RE: Favorite Small Cast shows?

Posted 05-07-2019 10:13
    What are your limitations with your community? I absolutely love Bad Jews by Joshua Harmon but it's not really school appropriate...

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Favorite Small Cast shows?

Posted 05-07-2019 10:24
    I can push the envelope a bit, but nothing really too graphic and no F words.
    Thanks for the recommendation though!!

--
    Brooke Phillips
    Teacher/Director of Theatre
    Millard West High School
    Co Chapter Director-Nebraska Thespians

• 4.  RE: Favorite Small Cast shows?

Posted 05-07-2019 10:37
    Definitely not this show then. I love it and there are multiple amazing moments but it has language in it.

Years ago we did a show called Kitty Steals A Dog and had a lot of fun with it. It's deceptively simple but there is a lot of potential to explore the relationships and expectations that come with people's impressions.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Favorite Small Cast shows?

Posted 05-07-2019 14:30
    Would Complete Works of Shakespeare Abridged work? It's written for 3, but can be expanded. I don't know if I would call it witty, but it is fun and goofy, and fast-paced. It could kind of work into the theme. For witty, David Ives comes to mind, though I think all of his full-length plays require a larger cast. Would you consider doing a selection of his short plays, like All in the Timing? There are definitely some challenging ones - Words, Words, Words and the Universal Language will definitely push your actors.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 6.  RE: Favorite Small Cast shows?

Posted 05-08-2019 08:18
    Silent Sky by Lauren Gunderson. It could be though of as either, I think. If you squint real hard. ;)

Dianne Rowe
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Junior Thespian Troupe 88177
    Berry Middle School
    bit.ly/BerryDrama
    Birmingham, AL

• 7.  RE: Favorite Small Cast shows?

Posted 05-08-2019 11:13
    All good suggestions.  Thanks everyone!
    I thought about Complete Works, but I'm doing The Brother's Grimm Spectaculathon right after so looking for a little more variety.  I think I might have found something.  Thanks again!!

Brooke Phillips
    Omaha NE

• 8.  RE: Favorite Small Cast shows?

Posted 05-08-2019 11:28
    God of Carnage, if you can get permission to clean up the language. Kind of a loose definition of Fantasy, but the "everything is fine" fantasy might count enough for you to consider the show.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL