Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  High School Musical costumes

Posted 12-05-2016 14:29

Hey there! I am producing High School Musical this spring, and the performance fees alone are eating a good portion of my budget. I am looking for some good costumes, specifically for the basketball jerseys and cheerleading uniforms, that I can use without breaking the budget! I am in San Antonio, Texas. Does anyone have costumes we could borrow? Any recommendations on a rental company? Or any suggestions on creating the costumes ourselves, and still having them look nice? Thanks!

Tanisha Smith

San Antonio Christian School

Middle and High School Choir and Drama

Middle School Praise Team Director

• 2.  RE: High School Musical costumes

Posted 12-06-2016 06:37

There's a small theatre in Houston that did the show.  Inspiration Stage.  Director's name is Mandy.  You can actually go on their website and see a picture of the costumes from the show.   Not sure if she rents or not, but the costumes were great!

------------------------------
    Lana Thompson
    Sugarland TX

• 3.  RE: High School Musical costumes

Posted 12-06-2016 08:54

I don't know the show in detail, but could you co-opt your own school's basketball and/or cheerleading outfits? Maybe talking to the person in charge of those sports in your school could be a starting point.

For other costumes, you could ask your students to provide what they can. It's a contemporary high school, so presumably your students should have some high school attire.

Best of luck!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 4.  RE: High School Musical costumes

Posted 12-06-2016 13:09

We have ZERO budget for costume. It is understood that each actor must create/get their own (with my approval.)
    If we have to order something specific the students pay me back for it. 
    For the cheer leading costumes and basketball jerseys, I purchased them from a local t shirt printing company.
    If they can order and print t shirts, they can order uniforms. We picked the least expensive that looked good.
    The cheer leading costumes ended up being around $30-35 dollars  and the basketball was much cheaper because the guys just had to get shorts to go with the tops. I felt that was VERY reasonable being they could stay in the same costume for the entire show!

Erika Trahan
    Kaplan LA

• 5.  RE: High School Musical costumes

Posted 12-06-2016 16:24

Also in rehearsals for HSM with my middle schoolers right now.  I agree that the uniforms (basketball and cheerleading) are the tough ones.  Most of the other costumes will end up being students own clothes, carefully put together and approved, of course.

But I'd love to hear leads on rental of the uniforms!

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 6.  RE: High School Musical costumes

Posted 12-07-2016 07:59

Ebay has a decent $16 cheer costume.  It is a costume not a uniform, and you will need briefs to go under it...High-School-Musical-Cheer-Girl-Cheerleader-Uniform  And a basketball uniform for under $16.  This comes from china (but don't let that scare you) and you need to be very careful about using their size charts to ensure proper fit.Hot-Basketball-Suit-Polyester-Fiber-Men-Basketball-Jersey-  I had these in my saved folder...just in case I ever needed them :)

Amy Berry
    Teacher/ Troupe Director
    Youth Performing Arts School/JCPS
    Louisville KY