Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Wednesday's Wisdom

Posted 02-09-2022 08:26

Better Together

In most schools across the country, the drama teacher is a one person department.  In my 30 years of teaching I was trusted to develop my own curriculum and assessment, production season, student thespian activities and so much more.  I have spoken to many young drama teachers about this.  It is oftentimes wonderful to be given such autonomy, but when you work this way for much of your career, you often come to rely on just yourself; doing anything and everything without the help of others…particularly in production. 

Psychologist Erik Erikson said, "Life doesn't make any sense without interdependence. We need each other, and the sooner we learn that, the better for us all."  I am here to encourage you to work to develop a strong presence of adult volunteers in your program.  My program volunteers were key to my success during my career.    These volunteers can be your student's parents, grandparents or guardians, your alumni, your school staff and community members.  

You may find some people with some really unique talents and skills.  I found a parent who had  a special waterjet machine that could cut wood. He made us some really intricate designs for our World Wide Wicket logo in How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying.   An alumni student returned from learning a trade at the community college to design and weld special metal racking for wood storage in our scene shop.  There are so many wonderful opportunities for program volunteers.

We all have different needs during production, but inviting people to be a "part of the magic" is something that can be life changing for them as well as for you.  Being able to share the work allows these volunteers to see just how much goes into a production and how much you are responsible for.  

• Share your passion, philosophy and purpose of your program.
    • Share with potential volunteers how much you and the students need their help to succeed.
    • Invite these volunteers to engage where they have time, skills, and comfort. Whether it be sewing, set work, organizing, cleaning, crafting, ushering, ticket sales, running errands for you, preparing a group meal, contacting people, after show laundry… the list is endless.  
    • Inquire about any special skills they may have.
    • Invite previous volunteers to share their experiences working on a show.

Showing appreciation for these volunteers will bring them back time and time again.  Working to build and sustain a volunteer program is making sure these volunteers know how much you and your students appreciate their time and effort.  It does take time, but a hand written thank you note from you and/or the kids does more than you will ever know.  Or, you and your students may choose to host a volunteer appreciation event. Or you may choose to document in photos or video these volunteers and their work during the production process then post on your program's social media.   

Teaching theater is exceptionally rewarding, but we all know it is demanding.  Finding a way to use volunteers can be one of the most significant ways to avoid stress and burn out.  Sharing the responsibilities that you feel you are able to delegate with confidence can help you focus on the part of the production process that means the most, working and playing with kids.  

------------------------------
    CJ Hindman
    Retired Theatre Teacher
    OR
    ------------------------------