Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Aadaptive Theatre

Posted 05-10-2018 11:28
    Hey all. I'm looking for some info. I spoke to my admin yesterday and he was supportive of the idea of possibly creating an adaptive theatre class, partnered with the special ed department,  and I need some info to bring to him. Pretty much I'm looking for anything anyone has on this idea. It doesn't have to be limited to a school setting but if anyone actually has a class of this nature please send me everything you have on this. I'm looking for articles, statistics, articles, etc. I could do all the looking on my own but I figured it would be faster to pick all of your brains.   :)

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 2.  RE: Aadaptive Theatre

Posted 05-11-2018 09:17
    Hi Everyone,
    I too would be interested in any adaptive theatre resources you have.  I currently teach 900 students every year of 6th, 7th, and 8th graders and everyone pushes into the class.  Looking specifically for theatre autism resources and meaningful lesson designs that can be adapted for those bound by wheelchairs.

Deborah Shellard
    Drama Teacher
    Attea Middle School
    Glenview IL

• 3.  RE: Aadaptive Theatre

Posted 05-11-2018 09:34
    Check out the book "Barrier Free Theatre" by Sally Bailey! She taught at the school where I did my undergrad and is a registered Drama Therapist. Barrier Free breaks it down into accessible activities, benefits and and research, and just overall information on how to create an inclusive program.

It's a wonderful resource!

Kate Willers
    Drama Director
    Littleton CO

• 4.  RE: Aadaptive Theatre

Posted 05-12-2018 10:37
    You may want to look into the creative work done by Chickenshed Theatre, an wonderful group in the UK that is looking to have a presence in the USA, Chickenshed | Home

Here is some info about their recent visit to NYC, Chickenshed is heading to New York!

Chickenshed remove preview
    Chickenshed is heading to New York!
    Chickenshed is heading to New York City! Chickenshed NYC is bringing the UK's renowned and fully inclusive and transformative theatrical programming to the children of New York. Chickenshed NYC will include children from all abilities and from diverse economic, cultural, and social environments. Chickenshed NYC operates under The American Friends of the Chickenshed Theatre, a U.S.
    View this on Chickenshed >

Jim Hoare
    Vice President, Education
    TRW

• 5.  RE: Aadaptive Theatre

Posted 05-14-2018 09:38
    I am currently doing this with my upper level theatre students. I don't have a special curriculum but rather just modified the one I've already done with my upper levels putting them in the role of mentor. I think that it would depend on the abilities of the students your program would have but I think just dive in. Start small, make it something you do with your students once a week and then see where it can go. Good luck to you!

Bernadette MacLeod
    Charlotte NC